Former Bama QB turning heads at UNT

Harry

Alec Morris, who transferred to North Texas in January, has done “really well” this offseason, Mean Green offensive coordinator Graham Harrell told AL.com.

“Early on, he was playing better than anyone else was, and we just had to advance someone as quickly as possible, and we tried to do that with him,” said Harrell, who is also the quarterback coach. “That’s kind of where he sits. We expect him to have a good fall camp. And if he does, then I’d expect he could be the starter easily around here.”

Morris, who was at Alabama from 2012-15 but attempted just one pass, received the bulk of the reps as North Texas’ first-team quarterback during spring practice. His competition at the position includes junior Quinn Shanbour, sophomore Connor Means and redshirt freshman Caleb Chumley. Morris, who is eligible to play immediately this season as a graduate transfer, opted to transfer in hopes of landing a starting job.

“It was definitely a difficult decision to leave Alabama. No doubt,” said Morris, who is from Allen, Texas, which is about 40 miles from UNT’s campus in Denton. “One thing that made it easier was that I had been around Alabama quite a long time. I had seen a lot of my really close friends graduate and leave, so the amount of relationships I had as far as truly close friends just being around, a fifth-year senior, guys graduate and they move on.”

Read more:  http://gridironnow.com/former-alabama-qb-alec-morris-north-texas/

• Harry featured this topic

“That’s kind of where he sits. We expect him to have a good fall camp. And if he does, then I’d expect he could be the starter easily around here.”

Anyone else kind of squint at this comment and think of Harrell as little brat? Or is it just me? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 23

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

“That’s kind of where he sits. We expect him to have a good fall camp. And if he does, then I’d expect he could be the starter easily around here.”

Anyone else kind of squint at this comment and think of Harrell as little brat? Or is it just me? 

What did you expect him to say, something like, "we looked at some of the UNT offensive game film from last year and set it out for Monday morning trash pickup"?  Not to say that they still use film, but hey, "good" would be 2 or 3 levels higher than what we have seen over the last 2 years.

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Harrell is an old country boy.  Yes, it is just you. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Easily?!  Did he watch the same spring game I did...I mean, sure, he's the OC and actually watched all of practice but I saw a WHOLE spring game.  

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Easily?!  Did he watch the same spring game I did...I mean, sure, he's the OC and actually watched all of practice but I saw a WHOLE spring game.  

I'm still skeptical.   If Coach Harrell hasn't surgically removed their hearts to compare sizes, then I will always believe Shanbour's heart is bigger, and therefore he is the better QB.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm still skeptical.   If Coach Harrell hasn't surgically removed their hearts to compare sizes, then I will always believe Shanbour's heart is bigger, and therefore he is the better QB.

Did you just get done watching the movie Rudy or something? We still have a Fall camp left to see who our starter will be.

Edited by NTAlum09

14 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

Did you just get done watching the movie Rudy or something? We still have a Fall camp left to see who our starter will be.

Maybe so, but I watched "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and, I must say, the Grinch was much more efficient when his heart was three times smaller.  Sure, he used it for evil, but he became lazy and emotional when his heart grew.  Regarding our QB situation, give me the small hearted, efficient one any day

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Maybe so, but I watched "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and, I must say, the Grinch was much more efficient when his heart was three times smaller.  Sure, he used it for evil, but he became lazy and emotional when his heart grew.  Regarding our QB situation, give me the small hearted, efficient one any day

Clickbait Thread Title: UNTLifer leads war on Christmas.  

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

This is the kind of logical explanation that makes me question everything I've ever known about QB evaluation.  And now, I'm not so sure.  

Maybe we DO need fall practice to really sort this thing out.

17 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

The problem with the Rudy analogy is that Shanbour actually has talent. If persistence=heart, then he has both heart AND talent. As I sit here typing this on June 1st, I will predict that fall camp ends with the top three QB candidates being Morris, Shanbour and Fine. I won't predict who will be named the starter for the SMU game, but it will be one of those three.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

The problem with the Rudy analogy is that Shanbour actually has talent. If persistence=heart, then he has both heart AND talent. As I sit here typing this on June 1st, I will predict that fall camp ends with the top three QB candidates being Morris, Shanbour and Fine. I won't predict who will be named the starter for the SMU game, but it will be one of those three.

Right? It's getting a bit tired

"Shanbour has talent and should have a solid shot at starting"

"hur hur but he's small, like Rudy. Why don't you stop worshiping him and accept reality"

Behind a bad O-line, which barring massive improvements in the fall, is what we will have this year, give me a QB who can move and make quicker decisions. Not a big guy with a big arm that can barely move

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1