Struggling coach New AD

EagleD

Thinking back 15 years ago. RV was new and wanted his own FB coach. Finances being what they were he decided to let Dickey hang himself, and he damn near did. You know the rest. 

Cut to present day. A new AD will want his own BB Coach and many think that time is now. By most accounts this team should be much improved. Does the AD let Benford play out his last year?  If he doesn't and this team makes a run late, we'll be in familiar territory. 

The similarities are intriguing but I guess not all that uncommon with the coaching carousel being what it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, EagleD said:

Thinking back 15 years ago. RV was new and wanted his own FB coach. Finances being what they were he decided to let Dickey hang himself, and he damn near did. You know the rest. 

Cut to present day. A new AD will want his own BB Coach and many think that time is now. By most accounts this team should be much improved. Does the AD let Benford play out his last year?  If he doesn't and this team makes a run late, we'll be in familiar territory. 

The similarities are intriguing but I guess not all that uncommon with the coaching carousel being what it is. 

I just posted on the football board that I doubt a change will occur at this point, but you're no doubt right in your thoughts that the new AD will open up a whole new frontier. We're definitely in a time of change and we shall see.

What would be the fear of letting him go this late?

IF the fear is an athlete leaving sometimes you have to let the bad eggs walk/roll away.  I totally understand that Benford recruits well but how often do those recruits pan out in the long run.  Dont they go overseas and play ball?? JK but seriously 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

What would be the fear of letting him go this late?

IF the fear is an athlete leaving sometimes you have to let the bad eggs walk/roll away.  I totally understand that Benford recruits well but how often do those recruits pan out in the long run.  Dont they go overseas and play ball?? JK but seriously 

My fear has nothing to do with players leaving, they don't have a lot of options right now. My fear is that we may not be able to get a quality HC at this point. Would a coach want to come in this late and would they be able to find good assistants? If a new AD thinks that is not a concern, then I am fine with that, but I don't know if we will be able to get someone we want.

• Upvote 1

I hate Tony Benford as a head coach at UNT and want him gone ASAP.

But if we cannot afford to do it because we canned Rick Villareal and it means he has to coach one more season under a new AD, I'll accept that.

RV created this Benford mess. Because he didn't address this, he deserved what happened. And if means we have to laugh at the ineptness that is Tony Benford's coaching for one more season so that we can go out and hire a real AD and an experienced HC, it will be the proverbial one step backwards to move forward two steps.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On May 31, 2016 at 3:54 PM, untjim1995 said:

I hate Tony Benford as a head coach at UNT and want him gone ASAP.

But if we cannot afford to do it because we canned Rick Villareal and it means he has to coach one more season under a new AD, I'll accept that.

RV created this Benford mess. Because he didn't address this, he deserved what happened. And if means we have to laugh at the ineptness that is Tony Benford's coaching for one more season so that we can go out and hire a real AD and an experienced HC, it will be the proverbial one step backwards to move forward two steps.

Look, money isn't an issue. People said we couldn't afford to pay out one year remaining on RV's contract. I pointed out we could (and that the contract had 2 years left).

What did UNT do? 

They bought out 2 years (and probably got a bit of a reduced rate for letting RV say he wasn't fired). 

I think RV was on his way out at the end of basketball season. I don't think Smatresk and the BOR wanted to make that change until they made this one. 

Things get interesting come June 20.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I would think the new AD lets Benford play out this year, basically if benford does an outstanding job such as wins C-USA and makes the Dance then they think about a deal.. But if he isn't coaching well and the team is struggling, mid-season I see us firing him and looking for another coach just like we did with football. Also, I would think the AD will have enough on his or her plate when they come here that they don't wanna worry about BB plus whatever else they have to do..

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

I would think the new AD lets Benford play out this year, basically if benford does an outstanding job such as wins C-USA and makes the Dance then they think about a deal.. But if he isn't coaching well and the team is struggling, mid-season I see us firing him and looking for another coach just like we did with football. Also, I would think the AD will have enough on his or her plate when they come here that they don't wanna worry about BB plus whatever else they have to do..

Unfortunately, if Benford's left in place, I have a feeling they'll be worrying about basketball anyway.  Now, or later... still gotta deal with it.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Unfortunately, if Benford's left in place, I have a feeling they'll be worrying about basketball anyway.  Now, or later... still gotta deal with it.

I don't doubt the situation must be dealt with eventually but trying to find a good head coach in the middle of the summer is not something a brand new athletics director will be excited to undertake. I think there are more important things to begin work on than finding a new coach for a sport that begins practices in less than 90 days.

True that they will have to deal with sooner or later, but its going to be hard to find a coach that can come in now and install his gameplan and all of that. Also, coaches during the BB season may become more interested in UNT if the talent that we have ends up working together and makes a run. To me, makes sense to let Benford start the year, and if it gets bad/terrible can him in the middle of the year like we did with Mac and then we start the search.

• Upvote 1

On June 3, 2016 at 1:41 PM, UNTFan23 said:

I don't doubt the situation must be dealt with eventually but trying to find a good head coach in the middle of the summer is not something a brand new athletics director will be excited to undertake. I think there are more important things to begin work on than finding a new coach for a sport that begins practices in less than 90 days.

Maybe not Hank Dickinson.

I don't want an athletic director that wants to put off problems and hope for the best. We just went through 15 years of that. If the new AD "isn't excited" to solve problems immediately, he shouldn't accept this job, because there are a lot of problems to solve. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7