Thursday night notes (Could a hoops shakeup be coming? Et cetera)

Harry

Thursday night and time for a quick lap around the bases as far as North Texas athletics goes.

There have been a number of tidbits I have been meaning to get to that have stacked up in the last few days.

read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/05/thursday-night-notes-could-a-hoops-shakeup-be-coming-et-cetera.html/

I'm definitely not going to come out and say that I want Benford for another year, but as we hit June does it really make sense at this point to NOW make a change at the top? If we have someone really special lined up I say great, but if that's not the case, I just don't see it happening unless some serious new negatives are going on behind the scenes. A quality X & O's assistant to come in and try to fix some of the stuff that has been going on out there during the Benford era would be a welcome relief.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Over/Under at two wins? I might lay down some serious cash on the over.

I agree.  
While Vegas usually knows what they're doing... even I can't bring myself to believe Benford will only win 2 games.  
Seriously though, the proverbial "empty cupboard" on the defensive side of the ball, coupled with a completely new scheme that is supposed to rely on blitzing & not knowing where pressure is coming from... could result in alot of points scored against us, which usually also results in losses.  Sadly, 2 wins is an honest bar to set.

As for basketball/Benford, I suppose it really just depends on how long the interim is in place.  I doubt Smatresk will want to have an interim (especially if it's Hank) conduct a search for a new BB coach.

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I agree.  
While Vegas usually knows what they're doing... even I can't bring myself to believe Benford will only win 2 games.  
Seriously though, the proverbial "empty cupboard" on the defensive side of the ball, coupled with a completely new scheme that is supposed to rely on blitzing & not knowing where pressure is coming from... could result in alot of points scored against us, which usually also results in losses.  Sadly, 2 wins is an honest bar to set.

As for basketball/Benford, I suppose it really just depends on how long the interim is in place.  I doubt Smatresk will want to have an interim (especially if it's Hank) conduct a search for a new BB coach.

You do know the article is talking about football over and under at 2 wins right?? 

If this is a joke please carry on!!  because its funny

1 hour ago, foutsrouts said:

I'm definitely not going to come out and say that I want Benford for another year, but as we hit June does it really make sense at this point to NOW make a change at the top? If we have someone really special lined up I say great, but if that's not the case, I just don't see it happening unless some serious new negatives are going on behind the scenes. A quality X & O's assistant to come in and try to fix some of the stuff that has been going on out there during the Benford era would be a welcome relief.  

I agree, unless there is some kind of "home run" hire they can get.  I doubt changing assistants will do a lot, I remember that tried repeatedly to shore up Trilli to no avail.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, foutsrouts said:

I'm definitely not going to come out and say that I want Benford for another year, but as we hit June does it really make sense at this point to NOW make a change at the top? 

Now, tomorrow, July, 5 minutes before first game or halftime of 10th game it just needs to happen as soon as possible. The guy has no future as a head coach and the sooner the change is made the better off the team will be going forward.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I agree, unless there is some kind of "home run" hire they can get.  I doubt changing assistants will do a lot, I remember that tried repeatedly to shore up Trilli to no avail.  

I hear what you're saying, but at this point it would be worth it just to regain some trust with the fan base. Even if there isn't a suitable candidate I would be fine with naming an interim head coach for next season. It's not like they would do any worse than Benford...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I can't see why Jank would have any interest in returning to UNT. Regarding Benford, it is my understanding that with the players coming back next year we have a chance to be really good , and that if we fired the coach we might lose some of them,hence the decision to let him play out his contract. With R.V. gone, that might change.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since there has already been an announcement that Benford is staying, I don't expect any change at the top.  I understand that despite an abysmal record, the notion of paying off 2 coaches, and now an athletic director, would just be too much for our finances.  Unless, of course, we were able to get James Naismith, or Phil Jackson, or Bill Blakely.  And as far as Las Vegas betting on us winning 2 games, I think NT Basketball will win at least 3 games.

GO MEAN GREEN

5 hours ago, bloodstunt said:

Now, tomorrow, July, 5 minutes before first game or halftime of 10th game it just needs to happen as soon as possible. The guy has no future as a head coach and the sooner the change is made the better off the team will be going forward.

504abdd20f303.image.jpg

Get the dead horse out before he stinks!

• Downvote 3