Harry

UNT already has undergone one search for a key hire in its athletic department during Smatresk’s tenure. The Mean Green were in the market for a new football coach after parting ways with Dan McCarney five games into last season.

UNT used the search firm DHR International while looking for a replacement for McCarney and eventually lured former North Carolina assistant coach Seth Littrell to Denton.

Smatresk was heavily involved in the search that led UNT to hire Littrell. UNT’s president could look to hire a search firm again.

A firm could help with the search process by vetting candidates and helping facilitate meetings with school officials.

read more:  http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20160524-unts-process-to-pick-ad-to-take-weeks.ece

"“I leave here with great satisfaction that this place is in a whole lot better shape than when we came here,” Villarreal said. “We are in position to compete on a national basis, which is where North Texas should be. Maybe this will re-energize the program with the fans, not just the ones who haven’t been back in the last five years, but the last 25 years. This is a great place and deserves a great athletic program.”

I appreciate RV's comment on "re-energizing" the program with the fans.  He knew we were stuck in reverse.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Take the time we need. This is huge.

Agree.  I feel Hank can handle things on an interim basis well enough to allow for a very thorough hiring process to play out.  I can't bring myself to even give time to consider the impact that a Steve Patterson level mistake would have on things in Denton.

What a disgusting thought. That he was fully aware he/his department has been chasing away fans for 5 years, 25 years and all points in between, and unable to do anything about it, validates his departure. All other reasons have been well chronicled here, but this revelation hits me hardest. It takes much more work to bring a new customer into the fold than to keep the ones you have. This department failed at both.

That said, I am more jazzed for the future of NT athletics than I have been in a long time.

GMG

• Upvote 4