George Dunham discussed Hank as AD in KTCK

greenjoe

19 hours ago, Green92 said:

I pretty much stop reading anything when I see the word "synergy." 

This.  All day long.

Synergy.  Platforms.  "Reaching out to you."  All of it.  Guys 40+ years old with overly coiffed hair or spiked up like they are in their 20s.  Any male past traditional college age with an earring.  All bad.

A kid from Houston said to me last week, "I think I can really see some synergies between our agencies!"  I told him, "No.  There are some things your agency does well, there are some things my agency does well.  If you need help on an account, give me a call.  If I feel like you can help me on some account, I'll give you a call."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I honestly wouldn't expect less from George.   He and Hank are close friends.  He has a platform to help his friend.  His friendship is clouding his judgement about what is best for the Athletic Department though.  

The only things Hank has learned about being an Athletic Director for the past 15 years are from Rick Villareal.  We just fired Rick.  We don't need Rick's protege running our Athletic Department.

This x10000. George was promoting his buddy. New blood is needed in the Athletic Department and it starts at the top. Hell, that may include Ol' Joyce Durram if he doesn't agree.

• Upvote 1

I don't want an AD promoted from within. Hank may be a nice guy, but if all he knows of running an athletic department is RV, he'll be too much a risk of reigniting the dumpster fire we just put out.

Get someone who has experienced life in a successful athletic department and has never given an interview where he made excuses for failure.

• Upvote 3

I personally want someone hungry for a different culture. I would plug my friend too if I was Dunham but in the long term the University needs new blood Hank may be fine gaining corporate sponsorships but I would like to see someone that has new ideas at the top.

There should be absolutely no promotion from within for this job.  I like Hank and I hope he sticks around in some capacity but this idea is insane.  Seth went out and got a new starting QB that wasn't on our campus last year.  Do you know why?  It makes sense that a 1-12 team probably did not have a really good QB on the bench.  Suffice to say that athletic department probably did not have good leaders right under RV's level ready to take the helm.  Otherwise we would have better service from the ticket office, a better schedule, better media communication and better selection of food for the common folks at the games.  I would estimate that at least 60% of the higher level staff need to be gone.  If you don't out and out fire them, they should be phased out and encouraged to get new jobs.   I hope they achieve a 50% turnoff rate from the day it was announced that RV was stepping down.  Ideally by 2020 about 60%-70% of the people above foot solider level should be gone.   What do you guys think of that?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On May 25, 2016 at 1:46 PM, meangreen15 said:

It happened towards the end of the 9:35 segment yesterday.  He said he believes that his good friend Hank is the guy for the job.  He thinks that Hank has great relationships already established in Denton and could help engage the community.  

Check on the Unticket later today or tomorrow to see if they've posted the show's archive.    

On May 25, 2016 at 2:02 PM, DeepGreen said:

Has hank been "engaging" the community the past 15 years?

Just say NO to Hank!

Hank is indeed replete with well-established relations in the Denton community. And often with (in my mind) the right people. I love seeing him at Dan's Silverleaf and such.

On May 25, 2016 at 2:04 PM, EagleMBA said:

I don't doubt that at all. Perhaps the new AD would appoint him Assistant AD for Community Relations and keep him in his broadcast gig. Let him develop a plan to improve community support, give him whatever support he needs, and judge him by the results.

This. We absolutely need new leadership throughout the AD, but Hank and Reggie are the only ones I'd retain in their current roles if not promote.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Hank is indeed replete with well-established relations in the Denton community. And often with (in my mind) the right people. I love seeing him at Dan's Silverleaf and such.

This. We absolutely need new leadership throughout the AD, but Hank and Reggie are the only ones I'd retain in their current roles if not promote.

You have no idea who he is or what he's capable when your not looking.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Agree with Hank being a great person and doing a lot of good things for the program.  Probably completely unfair on my part, but I do not get the feeling he would take the program to another level.  I would be afraid of more of the same.  

I feel he has his current boss to blame for my perception of his ability as an AD.  Sorry.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I feel he has his current boss to blame for my perception of his ability as an AD.  Sorry.

No sir, Hank was making enemies and proving his inability to be AD long befor RV came along.

Im telling you new fans and alumni....yall have no idea who he is.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

Like so many on the AD, Hank is out for Hank, not out for the good of UNT athletics. Having Georgio publicly endorse him demonstrates such.

Just because someone is nice to you the 4 or 5 times you meet them doesn't mean you have any idea who they are, much less whether they are capable of running an FBS athletic program. You are only allowed to see what they want you to see.

His long time association with RV ruins it for me. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Like so many on the AD, Hank is out for Hank, not out for the good of UNT athletics. Having Georgio publicly endorse him demonstrates such.

Just because someone is nice to you the 4 or 5 times you meet them doesn't mean you have any idea who they are, much less whether they are capable of running an FBS athletic program. You are only allowed to see what they want you to see.

His long time association with RV ruins it for me. 

Exactly.  

Just one of numerous examples why this department needs an enima.

Just recall the AD's shitty effort introducing the Mean Green into CUSA in 2011, where for NT fans....the AD dept decided to approach it in a way that required the least amount of time and effort personally for themselves by announcing the great news during  a closed door press conference on a Friday that no one else but a select few were allowed to attend.

For everyone else, fans,  donors and students the celebration would be at a stupid Coaches Caravan a week later where very few people would attend.  That's like celebrating New Years on January 7th.  

But what did all the other incoming CUSA school AD's do?  They hosted campus and city wide celebrations and used it to promote their programs.

And guess who was the #2 man in the room when that decision was made?  Our man Hank, just like he has been for the past 16 years.

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

First, I don't think Hank should be the new AD. Being the interim is fine, but not the permanent job. That said, the new AD should be the one to evaluate the staff and decide whom should be doing what and if they will be doing it in the AD's department.

At my previous job, we had a person in our NYC office that was so difficult to deal with an employee with about six years more time with the company than she decided to quit rather than work with her. Everyone in the Dallas office thought she was awful and avoided dealing with her when possible.  But we brought in a new person to take over for the guy who quit. He had not problems with the NYC personal at all. None. If you had asked, every person in the Dallas office would have said get rid of the NYC person, but when the right person was put in place everything worked out well. If the new AD wants Hank to do a job and the new AD is happy with his performance in that job, that should be all that matters. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

First, I don't think Hank should be the new AD. Being the interim is fine, but not the permanent job. That said, the new AD should be the one to evaluate the staff and decide whom should be doing what and if they will be doing it in the AD's department.

At my previous job, we had a person in our NYC office that was so difficult to deal with an employee with about six years more time with the company than she decided to quit rather than work with her. Everyone in the Dallas office thought she was awful and avoided dealing with her when possible.  But we brought in a new person to take over for the guy who quit. He had not problems with the NYC personal at all. None. If you had asked, every person in the Dallas office would have said get rid of the NYC person, but when the right person was put in place everything worked out well. If the new AD wants Hank to do a job and the new AD is happy with his performance in that job, that should be all that matters. 

Problem is Hank is openly campaigning for the new person's AD job. Many times this is a sure way to make sure you won't be retained as the new AD won't trust your loyalty. There are the exceptions like Mac and Chico (we all know how that worked out), but Mac was a defensive coach and didn't really care about offense, as we all found out soon enough. So that made a little sense.

I think Hank knows it's all or nothing and thinks he can use the same old UNT culture of favors for friends to get the job. I hope he is wrong, but wouldn't be surprised to see him named next AD. 

Its kinda what UNT does, sadly.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

59 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Question:  Did the employee in NYC do her job well or not, and did your company's CUSTOMERS have to deal with her and have the same opinion of her as your Dallas employees did?

Thats what we're talking about here.  An employee's job effectiveness and their interaction with customers, donors and fans.  Not simply an employee's interaction with other employees.

I'm willing to bet had your higher management heard about her doing her job poorly along with running off customers she would not have been retained for very long, much less for 21 years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

As to you direct question, the company had a huge decline in sales and I believe some of her decisions pushed this along. But the entire industry was suffering - from '08 through '13 DVD (including Blu-ray) declined 20% to 25% every single year. 

The key point is to let the incoming management make decisions and not folks on the outside. People on the outside have incomplete information and base their decisions on their personal interactions. Those vary - I dealt with Hank around a dozen times on various things mostly 8 to 10 years ago. In almost no case did my desired outcome happen, but no issues with Hank at all. 

Hank isn't a good fit for for AD, but the new AD is the one who should be doing the evaluations for other positions, not random fans like us. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

As to you direct question, the company had a huge decline in sales and I believe some of her decisions pushed this along. But the entire industry was suffering - from '08 through '13 DVD (including Blu-ray) declined 20% to 25% every single year. 

The key point is to let the incoming management make decisions and not folks on the outside. People on the outside have incomplete information and base their decisions on their personal interactions. Those vary - I dealt with Hank around a dozen times on various things mostly 8 to 10 years ago. In almost no case did my desired outcome happen, but no issues with Hank at all. 

Hank isn't a good fit for for AD, but the new AD is the one who should be doing the evaluations for other positions, not random fans like us. 

I don't think many people disagree with you. I just think Hank is all in on a push to be the new AD.

If he loses that campaign, he will be without a job, and rightfully so. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6