SMU has them some UNT on their mind

Harry

On May 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Oh, so if bethune cookman was our first game we would make banners to hang in the athletic facility. gtfooooooooooooo. No way. This is a rivalry. Non-rivalries don't make signs like this from week to week in preparation for their games. Face it, 90, it's true. I bet smug fans hate seeing it though. But all it does is fuel their hidden hate for us even brighter. 

Actually, that clock is specifically designed to slide those signs in and out. They reset the clock after each game and it counts down. We had one at my HS.

43 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Actually, that clock is specifically designed to slide those signs in and out. They reset the clock after each game and it counts down. We had one at my HS.

Oh ok. I didn't analyze it all that closely. It it's interchangeable then it's just a game-to-game ploy by their coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

On May 25, 2016 at 8:06 PM, UNT90 said:

If we played Butt Cookman first game, there would be a sign. It is about preparing for the first opponent. 

Now, if we played SMU the second or third game of the season and that sign was hanging there, you would have a point. 

We dont.

We have one in our locker room it's a game to game thing.

8 minutes ago, filmerj said:

Correct and the next one will say BC and so on.

Yep, so nothing special about that sign hanging in SMU's locker room other than we are their first game.

I don't know why some have such a need to be noticed by the Hilltop.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Yep, so nothing special about that sign hanging in SMU's locker room other than we are their first game.

I don't know why some have such a need to be noticed by the Hilltop.

Nothing particularly special. But to say they don't care, I think is a little dishonest.  Do you really think they want us; a team that went 1-11 fires their coach, has and AD that's stepping down, to beat them? A team that is in a better conference, has more resources and a "high profile coach." I just don't think so. Maybe they don't care about us in the way some people around here think they care about us, but maybe, just maybe they do. If they do, so what? What does it hurt? They care, one way or another.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, filmerj said:

Nothing particularly special. But to say they don't care, I think is a little dishonest.  Do you really think they want us; a team that went 1-11 fires their coach, has and AD that's stepping down, to beat them? A team that is in a better conference, has more resources and a "high profile coach." I just don't think so. Maybe they don't care about us in the way some people around here think they care about us, but maybe, just maybe they do. If they do, so what? What does it hurt? They care, one way or another.

It's just how 90 rolls. He gets an idea in his head and he materializes it in his head as factual. Then spurts it all over the internets for us to see. 

To say smug does not care about beating us is a flat lie. They care. Much like peasants revolutionizing a revolt, the kingdom cares. I use that metaphor because that is the smug mentality, so to me it makes sense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, filmerj said:

They care, this year, in the sense that they don't want to lose to what they consider a lesser opponent. And of course they want a win to set the tone for the season.

But they don't hate us. They don't point to this game year in and year out as a rivalry. Never have, never will. Which is fine, because neither do I. We need to schedule better than SMU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

They care, this year, in the sense that they don't want to lose to what they consider a lesser opponent. And of course they want a win to set the tone for the season.

But they don't hate us. They don't point to this game year in and year out as a rivalry. Never have, never will. Which is fine, because neither do I. We need to schedule better than SMU.

Humor me...

Why is smug not a prime time rival opportunity (of course in your opinion)? 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Ok. If you say so.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Humor me...

Why is smug not a prime time rival opportunity (of course in your opinion)? 

I think it's taking the easy way out. I'm five with a 4 year series (which this will probably end up being), but signing for 12 years is ridiculous. 

If you have no desire to be anything else than UNT has ever been, keep assigning huge meaning to this game. I'd like to see it alternate with TCU every 4 years. A real AD may be able to get that done. 

There are so many other options that a real AD could explore. 

Raise your expectations. We have a sliver of hope (despite George Dunham's foolish friendship rants) that they will finally be approached, if not met. 

Enjoy this glorious time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

10 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think it's taking the easy way out. I'm five with a 4 year series (which this will probably end up being), but signing for 12 years is ridiculous. 

If you have no desire to be anything else than UNT has ever been, keep assigning huge meaning to this game. I'd like to see it alternate with TCU every 4 years. A real AD may be able to get that done. 

There are so many other options that a real AD could explore. 

Raise your expectations. We have a sliver of hope (despite George Dunham's foolish friendship rants) that they will finally be approached, if not met. 

Enjoy this glorious time.

I'm not buying this. How by playing a regional game (with an opponent that MOST North Texas fans would love to beat) not good for UNT? This is a school that is in a perceived better conference, with a bigger budget right down the road. If we beat them it's considered a good win by that it equals to beating just about any conference foe in CUSA not named Marshal in regards to prominence. That prowess might be worn off by 30 years, but it still exists and you know that. This is a game that should stay on board for as long as the 2 schools agree to the annual terms. It doesn't need to be dubbed our Super Bowl, doesn't need to be considered ever again as an alternate home game (due to piss poor administrating), and this game never needs to be bigger than our season. But it's a game that needs to be played and it's a game that makes sense for both parties. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, filmerj said:

So I guess TCU doesn't care about the SMU game because, same region.

No, they don't. TCU>SMU>UNT as to the way each school's fans feel about the games.

TCU's rival has been Baylor lately. They could give a crap about SMU and view them as inferior. Just like SMU views UNT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

No, they don't. TCU>SMU>UNT as to the way each school's fans feel about the games.

TCU's rival has been Baylor lately. They could give a crap about SMU and view them as inferior. Just like SMU views UNT. 

Uh ok.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, filmerj said:

Uh ok.

14 hours ago, UNT90 said:

SMU is our biggest rival without question. Much more fired up to play them then when UTEP or UTSA roll into town. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

SMU is our biggest rival without question. Much more fired up to play them then when UTEP or UTSA roll into town. 

One way rivalries aren't rivalries. Ask TA@M and TTech (although I do think A@M notices Tech more than SMU notices UNT) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

54 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

One way rivalries aren't rivalries. Ask TA@M and TTech (although I do think A@M notices Tech more than SMU notices UNT) 

That isn't very regional. What we are discussing is a natural rivalry that was dictated by geography (and the dickhead, elitist mentality of Dallas). 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

That isn't very regional. What we are discussing is a natural rivalry that was dictated by geography (and the dickhead, elitist mentality of Dallas). 

It's like the red headed step child trying to get noticed by the step parents that just don't care.

I know there are plenty of UNT fans who mistakenly consider this a rivalry. I also know there are less than 5 SMU fans that consider this a rivalry, and that is probably a high estimate. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It's like the red headed step child trying to get noticed by the step parents that just don't care.

I know there are plenty of UNT fans who mistakenly consider this a rivalry. I also know there are less than 5 SMU favs that consider this a rivalry, and that is probably a high estimate. 

Well, I guess all I can say is that I think you're wrong. 

I am glad for the smoo series.  I am glad that we have an opponent on our OOC schedule that drives interest from our fanbase.  It is much better than having some random teams rotated through that you won't see again for several years, possibly never again.  If for some reason the smoo series is discontinued I hope we find another team to replace them as a recurring OOC opponent.

• Upvote 1