SMU has them some UNT on their mind

Harry

Well, they lead us 29-5-1 lifetime in the series, but in games played in the last 25 years, we are 3-3. The series on the books now has the potential to rev up the emotions between us and SMUt and is therefore a good thing. I am afraid, however, that unless we can run off a string of several wins against them the SMUtsters will consider us to be a minor annoyance. I consider them to be a hated rival but I doubt the feelings will be mutual until that series record evens up a little. Perhaps some day in the future we will be in a position to piss on their parade by knocking them out of bowl-eligibility or some other prize that was in reach for them. When that happens, it will be ON.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, UNT90 said:

No, they don't. TCU>SMU>UNT as to the way each school's fans feel about the games.

TCU's rival has been Baylor lately. They could give a crap about SMU and view them as inferior. Just like SMU views UNT. 

Your logic makes zero sense. You want to play TCU but if TCU doesn't care about SMU why would they care about us?

UNT fans loathe SMU, that is without a doubt should be our #1 rival.

Since you are so brilliant, who exactly should be our rivial? Rice? Utep? UTSA?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Your logic makes zero sense. You want to play TCU but if TCU doesn't care about SMU why would they care about us?

Hey, NCAA football calls smug vs North Texas a rivalry game. So...

Edited by Ben Gooding

10 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Because TCU would bring 10k fans to Apogee, not the less than 200 you will see SMU bring in September. Because playing TCU at Apogee would add much needed credibility to UNT football, SMU doesn't. 

A lot of UNT fans loathe SMU. More educate fans realize hating someone who has never been in your conference and that you have played 6 times in the last 30 some odd years and that doesn't think once about you, much less twice is just really futile. 

But, by all means, keep on hating someone that barely knows that you exist.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Because TCU would bring 10k fans to Apogee, not the less than 200 you will see SMU bring in September. Because playing TCU at Apogee would add much needed credibility to UNT football, SMU doesn't. 

A lot of UNT fans loathe SMU. More educate fans realize hating someone who has never been in your conference and that you have played 6 times in the last 30 some odd years and that doesn't think once about you, much less twice is just really futile. 

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

So make TCU our main rival?

TCU > SMU > UNT, that's your formula right professor? 

Edited by shootermcgavin44
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

i rather play Army than SMU each year.   As UNT90 says  SMU brings maybe 200 people to Apogee.  We do more for their attendance then they do for ours.  At least the service academies have loyal fans.  I would like to play Air Force at Apogee.  We need to build our attendance and we need some of the bad guys to show up in our stadium or the super pitt.  The students, alumni and Denton are not going to do it alone.  I want to see Apogee rocking again and the same with the pit.  I hate listening to the basketball bouncing off the floor during the game and I see up next to the walkway as you enter the pit.  I have never experienced this in any gym where a game was going on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

i rather play Army than SMU each year.   As UNT90 says  SMU brings maybe 200 people to Apogee.  We do more for their attendance then they do for ours.  At least the service academies have loyal fans.  I would like to play Air Force at Apogee.  We need to build our attendance and we need some of the bad guys to show up in our stadium or the super pitt.  The students, alumni and Denton are not going to do it alone.  I want to see Apogee rocking again and the same with the pit.  I hate listening to the basketball bouncing off the floor during the game and I see up next to the walkway as you enter the pit.  I have never experienced this in any gym where a game was going on.

I have (other than the Super Pit). SMU used to have one of the quietest gyms...

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:11 PM, shootermcgavin44 said:

Still waiting on you to answer who our #1 main rival should be professor... SMU just makes way too much sense for someone as smart at you.

Florida Atlantic? Old Dominion? Charlotte? 

A true rivalry is two-sided. SMU has one already in TCU. Tulane, Tulsa, and UH are their others. We could become one, but history suggest we won't get that chance. If we were to beat them some more in the coming seasons, they will buy this thing out pronto if they are at a place where they are winning. Right now, SMU needs the attendance we provide. But, when they don't, they will drop us...

Our truest chance at a rivalry like what you want is UTSA, La Tech, UTEP, or Texas State if we ever play them again.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 4:39 PM, UNT90 said:

More educate fans realize hating someone who has never been in your conference and that you have played 6 times in the last 30 some odd years and that doesn't think once about you, much less twice is just really futile. 

I love it when personal attacks backfire.  All because you are "more educate."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On May 28, 2016 at 9:11 PM, shootermcgavin44 said:

Still waiting on you to answer who our #1 main rival should be professor... SMU just makes way too much sense for someone as smart at you.

La Tech should be who we develop a rivalry with. Again, they would have to care, also.

Rivalries are built on tough wins and tough losses in big games that matter. The Rangers and Toronto are sudden rivals after last year's playoff series. The Odor almost knockout punch will further that rivalry... If the Rangers and Toronto meet in the playoffs again this year. 

UNT hasn't had any real games that matter in a very long time. I guess NM St. was the last one where the game meant the championship. Until UNT has some of these games against conference mates, they will remain rival-less. 

Trying to falsely create one is just sad and makes this fan base appear as desperate as we are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 5/28/2016 at 9:11 PM, shootermcgavin44 said:

I'll play.

Believe it or not, the "rivalry" with SMU is one-sided.  UNT fans can't stand SMU for "looking down" on us.  Tech has a statue of Roy Rogers on campus with his horse's rear pointed directly at College Station.  They consider A&M their rival in the same way we would consider SMU our "rival".   Does that mean they are in-fact rivals?  
Ask a UNT fan about SMU or ask a Tech fan about A&M. Their answers will sound similar, and you would think the rivalry is pretty heated. 
Then, ask a SMU fan about UNT or an A&M fan about Tech.  Their answers will also sound similar: "No, we hate TCU/'TU'.  Those other schools are not good enough for us".

If we want Geography to help determine a rival, we need to look at a conference foe that is right next door and is on our level.  Those punk-ass Bulldogs of LATech.

Should we want to whip SMU with every ounce of our being?  Yes, because the stereotypical 'trust-funded' SMU student is the exact type of person the stereotypical 'blue-collar' UNT student despises.   That doesn't mean we're "rivals" though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'll play.

Believe it or not, the "rivalry" with SMU is one-sided.  UNT fans can't stand SMU for "looking down" on us.  Tech has a statue of Roy Rogers on campus with his horse's rear pointed directly at College Station.  They consider A&M their rival in the same way we would consider SMU our "rival".   Does that mean they are in-fact rivals?  
Ask a UNT fan about SMU or ask a Tech fan about A&M. Their answers will sound similar, and you would think the rivalry is pretty heated. 
Then, ask a SMU fan about UNT or an A&M fan about Tech.  Their answers will also sound similar: "No, we hate TCU/'TU'.  Those other schools are not good enough for us".

If we want Geography to help determine a rival, we need to look at a conference foe that is right next door and is on our level.  Those punk-ass Bulldogs of LATech.

Should we want to whip SMU with every ounce of our being?  Yes, because the stereotypical 'trust-funded' SMU student is the exact type of person the stereotypical 'blue-collar' UNT student despises.   That doesn't mean we're "rivals" though.

To me, our rivalry with SMU is a lot like UH having a rivalry with A&M. Both teams have played each other a lot, as well as being close to the other school geographically. BUt no SMU fan or A&M fan will ever tell you that we or UH are rivals of theirs. They will each list about 5-10 schools ahead of us.

It is no big deal. We hate SMU fans, SMU fans hate playing us.

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

A true rivalry is two-sided. SMU has one already in TCU. Tulane, Tulsa, and UH are their others. We could become one, but history suggest we won't get that chance. If we were to beat them some more in the coming seasons, they will buy this thing out pronto if they are at a place where they are winning. Right now, SMU needs the attendance we provide. But, when they don't, they will drop us...

Our truest chance at a rivalry like what you want is UTSA, La Tech, UTEP, or Texas State if we ever play them again.

Houston should be our rival, since we have some similarities despite the fact that we're not an inner city school. Wins might be harder to come by, but I probably would have preferred a long term series with Houston over smu. I suspect that we have more alumni down there than Houston has in DFW. 

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'll play.

Yep.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

Houston should be our rival, since we have some similarities despite the fact that we're not an inner city school. Wins might be harder to come by, but I probably would have preferred a long term series with Houston over smu. I suspect that we have more alumni down there than Houston has in DFW. 

I would love it if we had done that, but it appears that UH never has had much interest in associating with us since the 70's, when their program made it into the SWC Country Club and ours didn't. We have played them three times since 1977 in football, all UH wins, two of which were in Denton, ironically. I believe we played UH a few times in basketball when I was in school my freshman and sophomore years in 1991 and 1992, but I don't remember playing them since.

Its very odd--they have basically pigeon-holed us into a Texas State and UTSA type grouping. Don't know how much SMU's influence has played into this, but I have to figure that it hasn't helped.

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I would love it if we had done that, but it appears that UH never has had much interest in associating with us since the 70's, when their program made it into the SWC Country Club and ours didn't. We have played them three times since 1977 in football, all UH wins, two of which were in Denton, ironically. I believe we played UH a few times in basketball when I was in school my freshman and sophomore years in 1991 and 1992, but I don't remember playing them since.

Its very odd--they have basically pigeon-holed us into a Texas State and UTSA type grouping. Don't know how much SMU's influence has played into this, but I have to figure that it hasn't helped.

We played them in the Pit during JJ's tenure. I do not recall the year. The games was supposed to be at Houston, but they moved it up here to make it a part of their bowl festivities.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Army of Dad said:

We played them in the Pit during JJ's tenure. I do not recall the year. The games was supposed to be at Houston, but they moved it up here to make it a part of their bowl festivities.

I really couldn't remember, but that does ring a bell now that you mention it.

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I would love it if we had done that, but it appears that UH never has had much interest in associating with us since the 70's, when their program made it into the SWC Country Club and ours didn't. We played them three times since 1977 in football, all UH wins, two of which were in Denton, ironically. I believe we played UH a few times in basketball when I was in school my freshman and sophomore years in 1991 and 1992, but I don't remember playing them since.

We played them at home in this century a few years ago (don't recall the year) and they brought a really nice crowd. That was only because they had a bowl game in Ft. Worth the following day. Wish we would schedule them more.