NO ONE FROM THE CURRENT AD!

UNT90

Aren't we supposed to have a renowned RTVF department? If so, why aren't we taking advantage of these resources and students?

Also, I know for a fact that we have a fantastic Communication Design program. Some of my friends graduated from this program and have worked for Google, Nike, etc. Why the hell are we not tapping into this program to generate graphics and marketing material for athletics?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, cdizzle86 said:

Aren't we supposed to have a renowned RTVF department? If so, why aren't we taking advantage of these resources and students?

Also, I know for a fact that we have a fantastic Communication Design program. Some of my friends graduated from this program and have worked for Google, Nike, etc. Why the hell are we not tapping into this program to generate graphics and marketing material for athletics?

Beat me to it.  Thinking outside the box, we should be able to get this done, partner with campus department, offer that department's students an opportunity to earn practical experience and share the cost.  If we can pay the Cowboys over $1 million, then we should be able to handle this.

I think we will see a lot of this if the hire is a youngish, aggressive AD.

We will see the same divide and conquer tactics if it's anyone from the current AD. They won't want any other school department invading their kingdom.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Beat me to it.  Thinking outside the box, we should be able to get this done, partner with campus department, offer that department's students an opportunity to earn practical experience and share the cost.  If we can pay the Cowboys over $1 million, then we should be able to handle this.

I know they do utilize students, quite a bit actually and they pay them too. NTTV doesn't pay their students. It's all volunteer. If you didn't notice than the students must be doing ok. Most schools out source gameday productions . They don't. They made it a mission to train and give students hands on experience. Its much harder than you think to get the university and the media departments on board. Especially since athletics has to have separate budgets and money can't necessarily come from the university. I do know they've been trying for years to get the school and media colleges on board. Even so far as trying to get a special class created. I also know talks are progressing to get the Athletics department to where they need to be to be able to be an ESPN school. It's going to take a massive investment from a lot of people and not just from the ad. SFA spent over half a million to get them there. I watched some of those CUSA softball streams the athletics video dept produced and they are not far off. Conference even gave them props afterwards via Twitter. Many of the school in attendance were impressed with what they did with such a small team. So things may not be what you perseive them to be. Let's hope they get it all worked out. I'm curious if not having an ad could stall some of this.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, filmerj said:

I know they do utilize students, quite a bit actually and they pay them too. Its much harder than you think to get the university and the media departments on board. Especially since athletics has to have separate budgets and money can't necessarily come from the university. I do know they've been trying for years to get the school and media colleges on board. Even so far as trying to get a special class created. I also know talks are progressing to get the Athletics department to where they need to be to be able to be an ESPN school. It's going to take a massive investment from a lot of people and not just from the ad. SFA spent over 500 million to get them there. I watched those CUSA softball streams the athletics video sept produced and they are not far off. Conference even gave them props afterwards via Twitter many of the school in attendance were impressed what they did with such a small team. So things may not be what you perseive them to be. Let's hope they get it all worked out. I'm curious if not having an ad could stall some of this.

Huh???

2 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Huh???

Lol sorry 500 thousand. Meant to type half a million. But they started from scratch. Which in a lot of ways is easier because you can get exactly what they need and not have to retrofit everything.

Edited by filmerj

5 minutes ago, filmerj said:

Lol sorry 500 thousand. Meant to type half a million. But they started from scratch. Which in a lot of ways is easier because you can get exactly what they need and not have to retrofit everything.

Can you give us an idea of the types of things required to meet ESPN standards and compare that to what we likely have in place today?

Edited by TreeFiddy

On May 27, 2016 at 5:58 PM, TreeFiddy said:

Give us an idea of the types of things we would need to do in order to meet ESPN standards and compare that to what we likely have in place today.

I know for football they run 6 cams, which is what ESPN 3 prefers 4 minimum. The lenses they require 2 "40x" alone are upwards of 85k a pieces, that ain't going to happen. So I think they would let that slide. Lenses with doublers start out at 25k. A broadcast quality graphics machine starts out at 15k if they get a special deal. 30k for the minimum. Better cams at the most basic pro quality 15k. Additional routers 30k. Upgraded switcher 30k base level switcher. Additional ccu's for cams 20k a piece, shade stations not included. Additional fiber transmitters 10k. That's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Numbers may not be completely accurate as I have not looked into it much. You plan on writing a check? Lol??

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 4

Perhaps the work around for getting the money is to make the upgrades a joint venture between the athletic department and RTVF.  I'm sure there are some RTVF majors that would like to venture into the sports broadcasting world, and this would be a phenomenal internship for them.  Since these upgrades would be for the benefit of an educational department as well as the athletic department, it might be an easier pill to swallow for the check writers. 

I don't like that GTBGone guy- he seems like a tool.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Silent Eagle said:

Perhaps the work around for getting the money is to make the upgrades a joint venture between the athletic department and RTVF.  I'm sure there are some RTVF majors that would like to venture into the sports broadcasting world, and this would be a phenomenal internship for them.  Since these upgrades would be for the benefit of an educational department as well as the athletic department, it might be an easier pill to swallow for the check writers. 

I don't like that GTBGone guy- he seems like a tool.

One would think media colleges would be on board whole heartedly and one would be wrong. The relationship is getting better. I know the easy target is the AD, but again, things aren't always as you perceive them to be.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, filmerj said:

One would think media colleges would be on board whole heartedly and one would be wrong. The relationship is getting better. I know the easy target is the AD, but again, things aren't always as you perceive them to be.

Valid point.

2 hours ago, filmerj said:

On this particular issue, I can see inter-department university politics creating huge obstacles.  On many other matters, perception or not, as the old adage goes, perception is reality.

5 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

On this particular issue, I can see inter-department university politics creating huge obstacles.  On many other matters, perception or not, as the old adage goes, perception is reality.

It's the AD's job to make sure inter-department politics DONT create huge obstacles. If that is the case, the AD simply isn't doing his job. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2