NO ONE FROM THE CURRENT AD!

UNT90

I feel that we are well positioned to move forward and be successful in CUSA.My preference would be an existing A.D. ,hopefully from the SW[probably from the Group of 5,] who has a proven track record .However, old saying, "be careful what you wish for".

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

I feel that we are well positioned to move forward and be successful in CUSA.My preference would be an existing A.D. ,hopefully from the SW[probably from the Group of 5,] who has a proven track record .However, old saying, "be careful what you wish for".

Anyone from the existing culture would be a terrible mistake and a sure failure. At least with an outside candidate there is a chance for success.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 9

16 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I said I would expect him to be the interim.  Haven't seen anything else about him being the AD.

If he winds up being permanent, I would be extremely disappointed.

If an interim is needed, then I would expect Hank to be the guy. Beyond that, I don't think the he should be permanent and I don't really have expectations that he will be retained by the new AD. I appreciate what he has done here, but I expect all of the leadership level folks to be gone. The lower level folks will probably be retained and evaluated before moves are made there. All just guesses, but that is what I think is likely.

• Upvote 7

Does the interim normally get let go if they don't get the permanent gig?  Seems typical to me, but I don't have hard evidence.  The new person seemingly makes sure to get rid of the interim in order to remove confusion/allegiances/etc...

Might make you think twice about accepting the interim gig...

2 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Does the interim normally get let go if they don't get the permanent gig?  Seems typical to me, but I don't have hard evidence.  The new person seemingly makes sure to get rid of the interim in order to remove confusion/allegiances/etc...

Conversely, the person might already be destined to be out and having the experience/title may help in their impending job search.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

I think it is likely a case by case basis. So many factors there that come into play. Either way, having an interim title on your resume can't hurt.

• Upvote 1

Man, that would really put the new AD in a hole if you completely gutted the department.  Besides, some areas are functioning quite well, such as academics and compliance.  I'm most displeased with marketing and promotion.  Not far behind is the information area.  Some of the other areas I know very little about but I'd hope that the new AD would change them one by one as he sees fit.  

I expect Hank Dickinson to be named the interim AD and would be disappointed if it's anyone else.  Hank is more familiar with the department than any other.  One of our strong factors has been advertising revenue and Hank has had a huge hand in securing that.   He is likely the best liason between the university and the Denton community.  He has the seniority and IMO is the best man for the job.

• Upvote 7

I can't help believe that if the new AD is someone from the current Department and NOT from the outside then RV was being paid hush money. "Just do as we say and you can have a very nice and lucrative career here." "But you have to stop with all the big dreams and high expectations." And of course this would explain a lot of things. Either way, incompetence or hush money RV would still come out looking bad.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

Man, that would really put the new AD in a hole if you completely gutted the department.  Besides, some areas are functioning quite well, such as academics and compliance.  I'm most displeased with marketing and promotion.  Not far behind is the information area.  Some of the other areas I know very little about but I'd hope that the new AD would change them one by one as he sees fit.  

I expect Hank Dickinson to be named the interim AD and would be disappointed if it's anyone else.  Hank is more familiar with the department than any other.  One of our strong factors has been advertising revenue and Hank has had a huge hand in securing that.   He is likely the best liason between the university and the Denton community.  He has the seniority and IMO is the best man for the job.

This sounds, oddly, like a vote of confidence.  These are the kinds of reasons I would expect Hank to get the interim tag, but it's kinda like taking the keys from a drunk guy, and handing them to another slightly-less drunk guy.  "Best man for the job" probably wouldn't be my choice of words.

• Upvote 3

Wow.  Just google his name and file through his deep involvement in the community.  He's been totally dedicated to UNT and Denton as well.

Amazing that anyone would question Dickenson.  This is a sad place. 

That's where I've got to jump off, questioning the motives and career of Hank Dickenson.

Whew. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Hank may not even want the job. He probably likes the gig he has and any new AD that comes in will keep him around, since he has been a staple of Mean Green broadcasts since 1995.

Hank is a great asset to this place--there are very, very few of them on the payroll. We surely don't need to get rid of him--but we don't need to promote him to the AD position either just because he's been here for a long time.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Wow.  Just google his name and file through his deep involvement in the community.  He's been totally dedicated to UNT and Denton as well.

Amazing that anyone would question Dickenson.  This is a sad place. 

That's where I've got to jump off, questioning the motives and career of Hank Dickenson.

Whew. 

No one is questioning his "motives" or what kind of man he is.    
We're questioning his ability to run an athletic department and drive it to where we need to go rather than keeping a status quo he's known for 20 years.   Old habits die hard.

Oh, and:
Never question Bruce Dickenson:
th?id=OIP.M76995e5ff6299b87b292e7148460e

• Upvote 3