In other high-profile UNT hiring news...

17 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

College of Music Interim Dean Warren Henry has just announced that Dr. John Richmond of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln has accepted the position of Dean of the UNT College of Music.

Why does this matter to you all? Dr. Richmond likes his sports, and developed a great relationship with UNL's AD and head football coach, of which the latter two would come out to the Cornhusker Marching Band's rehearsals and serve the group refreshments in a show of appreciation. I will say being on staff here that he was by far the best candidate who interviewed, so hey, go us. The other two finalists were from Kansas and LSU.

What is his stance on pageantry?

• Upvote 6

On 5/24/2016 at 7:20 AM, VideoEagle said:

The NCAA hates real pageantry. 

No, they love it. Because the fans love it. And fans that love pageantry/showmanship tend to keep coming back to the games. 

Uniform capes. Geezz just when I thought no one had been paying attention all these years.

1969. Out with the old (right) and in with the new (left). I do not remember the one on the left. Notice the Ohio State-type hat on the old uni. 

medium image

Another view [New Marching Band Uniform]

I like the pre-1969 uni much better.

[Marching Band Member in New Uniform]

1977. Hayden Fry era.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

No, they love it. Because the fans love it. And fans that love pageantry/showmanship tend to keep coming back to the games. 

Uniform capes. Geezz just when I thought no one had been paying attention all these years.

1969. Out with the old (right) and in with the new (left). I do not remember the one on the left. Notice the Ohio State-type hat on the old uni. 

medium image

Wow man that nTs design is really out there!

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wow man that nTs design is really out there!

The uniform on the right was worn for almost 20 years and was black with the green cape. The uniform on the left entered service in 1969 and had a green jacket, black pants and the dreaded "overlay" featuring the NTS design.  The NTS was the exact same formation that Mr. McAdow used on the field to play the alma mater, always before the came began. The band would then transition to a block formation, facing the flag, to play the national anthem.  

I can't tell you the joys of sitting at Fouts in 100 degree heat wearing a heavy wool uniform with another wool overlay on top. I'm surprised people didn't pass out from heat stroke.

But we were tougher in those days.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Ok, capes AND spats. It wouldn't be 1969 without spats. Or is it 1929?

Well, Ohio State, Michigan State and Wisconsin Bands all still wear spats. All of them put on a great show, and have great pre-game entrances that pump up the crowd. The Bands under Maurice McAdow wore spats and were musically superior to our current band. They were also superior to them in terms of showmanship. 

So don't knock spats. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

l6NT2Yn.jpgOklahoma7.jpgA4S_famu120411b_201831a_8col.jpg2111_Alabama_State_Marching_Hornets_Drum

Spats, capes, jackets...whatever.   Just get us some pageantry!

North Texas used to have similarly dressed drum majors. From the 1965 Yucca.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61034/m1/60/?q=homecoming,%20North%20Texas%20marching%20band

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

At the risk of causing some to foam at the mouth, there isn't a band better at tradition and pageantry than Notre Dame. They are awesome in person and I have many memories of seeing them in my childhood. Youtube shows that their current "look and feel" is the same as it was in the 1950s. Tradition binds generations of students/alumni together. The band always takes the field to "When Irish Backs Go Marching By" and morph into the "Notre Dame Victory March".

Musicianship, however, always goes to the Green Brigade.

For anyone who has never seen it, here is a link to an amateur video of the entrance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjDF6j4bi-E

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

At the risk of causing some to foam at the mouth, there isn't a band better at tradition and pageantry than Notre Dame. They are awesome in person and I have many memories of seeing them in my childhood. Youtube shows that their current "look and feel" is the same as it was in the 1950s. Tradition binds generations of students/alumni together. The band always takes the field to "When Irish Backs Go Marching By" and morph into the "Notre Dame Victory March".

Musicianship, however, always goes to the Green Brigade.

For anyone who has never seen it, here is a link to an amateur video of the entrance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjDF6j4bi-E

This is great; would love to see something similar here again.  However, seems our fanbase would be too busy streaming the game on ESPN3 to pay attention.