Rick Villarreal stepping down as AD

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Isn't Mack an ESPN guy?   I'm sure he's being paid handsomely for very little work.  I don't think he'd want to take a pay cut to rebuild an AD.

Im pretty sure he is still at ESPN, and I know it's very unlikely to land Mack. But Mack has wanted to get back into coaching( he tried to get the HC job at South Carolina) but I think it's unlikely at his age And how the sport is played now(seems mostly a younger coaches model). Now he maybe willing to be an AD, because he was looked at by UT but passed over as a possible AD. He could view UNT as a launching pad if all goes well. I would think if anything, Mack may relish this chance as a way to possibly get back to UT or somewhere else in a few years, instead of working for ESPN. 

On May 25, 2016 at 8:19 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Isn't Mack an ESPN guy?   I'm sure he's being paid handsomely for very little work.  I don't think he'd want to take a pay cut to rebuild an AD.

I agree which why it would have to be something bigger than money to attract him here. 1. Maybe just to stick to UT and build a program that could siphon a Dfw Recruit or 2 away. 2. Build a legacy and mentor a great upcoming coach he has a close relationship with. But that opportunity (absolutely small as it was) is gone. I was thinking of a Mack mentoring Applewhite set up.

As it stands now all our hope is in Seth. I don't believe they are going to run out and get a big name. And if that is case I would strongly prefer a UNT Alum or at the very least evaluated by our distinguished lettermen before the hire. Most important is experience in an improving athletic department in a metro area with strong professional sports franchises. We are competing with those other organizations for our fair piece of media attention and we rarely get it. I read Brett Vitto's complaints about the convenience of access and that is totally unacceptable when we are starve for attention.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/24/2016 at 0:17 AM, UNT90 said:

... it was never about the actual flying of the banner, it was about the publicity and resulting pressure that publicity would put on the decision makers of UNT. 

It was the most effective $1900 spent in the last 2 years of UNT athletics. 

Whether former AD employees like you understand that or not.

I don't want to pull a muscle patting my own back. I am not a young man any more. 

But as one of the banner donors, I think it helped make this day happen. Diehard UNT fans had never done something like that to an AD before.

I hope there's never a reason to consider flying another banner. UNT sports is due for some good times.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, rcade said:

I don't want to pull a muscle patting my own back. I am not a young man any more. 

But as one of the airplane-delivered terrorist kite of hate speech donors, I think it helped make this day happen. Diehard UNT fans had never done something like that to an AD before.

I hope there's never a reason to consider flying another airplane-delivered terrorist kite of hate speech. UNT sports is due for some good times.

Great post.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

It's cute that a certain moderator has decided to change one word that identifies the airplane pulled sign. And he decides to identify it as hate. That's just a tad over the line and is a moderator calling people names, something we aren't supposed to do on here.

Leave the rest if you think it's cute, but don't accuse of propogating hate. That isn't what happened and it isn't cute.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

37 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It's cute that a certain moderator has decided to change one word that identifies the airplane pulled sign. And he decides to identify it as hate. That's just a tad over the line and is a moderator calling people names, something we aren't supposed to do on here.

Leave the rest if you think it's cute, but don't accuse of propogating hate. That isn't what happened and it isn't cute.

go put it on a airplane-delivered terrorist kite of hate speech

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

Saw this thread I've read before and my light came on. Question: Can anyone set up a countdown clock that zeroes out on June 20?

I would do it but I don't have the expertise.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On May 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM, rcade said:

But as one of the banner donors, I think it helped make this day happen. Diehard UNT fans had never done something like that to an AD before.

I hope there's never a reason to consider flying another banner. UNT sports is due for some good times.

Keep in mind that the Fire RV banner was banner #2 for this board to raise money for.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I was looking through the very nice bound handout given to prospective donors for what would become Apogee Stadium.  I found it interesting that of the principal personalities mentioned how few are now left. 

In order of appearance:

Gretchen Bataille- President (gone)

Rick Villarreal-AD (gone after today)

Jordan Case-Chair of New Stadium Steering Committee (still here and still a leader in the business community.  A great ambassador for NT)

Johnny Jones-Men's Basketball (gone)

Shanice Stephens-Women's Basketball (gone)

David and Julie Anderson-The "man and woman on the street" supporters of the new stadium (still here)

Dakota Carter-UNT Student government Association (graduated)

Greg Whittemore-HKS Sports & Entertainment Group (job completed)

Todd Dodge-Head Football Coach (gone)

Mean Green Stadium/APOGEE Stadium (still a fantastic facility-remember when we took pictures of the crane and the snow covered construction site ?)

It's time to start a new era of Mean Green Athletics.  I hope those of you that have made the journey so far will continue.  Those of you that have joined along the way, welcome.  We've got a lot to do.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2