Rick Villarreal stepping down as AD

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think the Hattiesburg Hustler should have been given the luxury to resign, but I do understand the logic behind it, even if that logic reeks of same ole UNT. But I'm not going to gripe about the gift this program has just been handed.

Given the terms and odd timing, I think this the most transparent firing we've ever seen.

The President prefaced his letter announcing the resignation to the University with:

"I wanted to ensure you heard this news directly from me."

• Upvote 2

I can appreciate the work RV started in bringing up UNT's facilities to above-par, but ultimately results on the court and on the field caught up with him, especially after several botched hires. 

Moving forward, can anyone start a poll on potential replacements? It seems a fait accompli that RV's replacement is probably lined up already, but it won't hurt to have a bunch of speculation until an announcement is made...

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Thank you Prez and thank you BOR for listening. I heard this on 103.3 espn just now. I screamed out, "YES!" like a school girl while driving down 288. 

Thank you Rick for your servitude to UNT, but this was a very long time coming. If I can find time in the day I'm reupping season tix and MGC donation. 

Don't want to wait it out and hear the new AD's plans?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Given the terms and odd timing, I think this the most transparent firing we've ever seen.

The President prefaced his letter announcing the resignation to the University with:

Heard some rumors regarding this during graduation among some of the members of the platform party.

I knew S would eventually finish cleaning house, but still thought i would be in the Fall.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

As someone who was around to see just how pathetic the facilities were before RV's tenure I would like to say thank you for the accomplishments in that area.  I wish this ended differently with success and accolades for you and the school but you do have something to hang your hat on.  It is  no doubt time for some new blood but I wish you well sir. 

Non of us would believe 15 years ago we would have the facilities of today! GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I clicked on the Mean Green blog and saw the headline.  It was like Christmas!  Awesome!

That's a really long article about RV.  Methinks Vito had a heads up.  I can imagine RV called Vito last night to give him the scoop and tell his side of the story.  That definitely sounds like an RV type of thing to do.  

RV Out.PNG

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2

This will be THE most important hire in UNT athletics EVER. No question. If we don't get this right then it could very well be the death knell of UNT athletics as we know it. This CANNOT be the "same ole UNT" hire. We CANNOT be cheap. We CANNOT think small. We CANNOT leave any stone unturned. We MUST go after the type of AD(or asistant AD) that we haven't gone after in the past. We CANNOT be scared to call anyone because they're out of our league. WE MUST shoot for the stars. You can't take the head cheerleader to Prom if you don't ask her. Who the hell cares if she says no.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Non of us would believe 15 years ago we would have the facilities of today! GMG

The facilities were 10 years late in getting to a university the size. The student government accomplished something he couldn't. 

Look around UNT and see the new facilities the last 15 years. Athletics is still behind the rest of the university.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 9

8 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I clicked on the Mean Green blog and saw the headline.  It was like Christmas!  Awesome!

That's a really long article about RV.  Methinks Vito had a heads up.  I can imagine RV called Vito last night to give him the scoop and tell his side of the story.  That definitely sounds like an RV type of thing to do.  

It's probably more like he's had an article he's been preparing on this for a while and just updated every now and then as necessary, awaiting its posting date. Kind of SOP for news organizations when it comes to high profile obituaries and the like.

• Upvote 4

Ok, having finally gotten the opportunity to read the details, what is crystal clear is this isn't a resignation. This is a firing. You don't get paid the final 2 years of a contract when you are resigning. This is an organized buy out of the contract of one Rick Villarreal. The hustler is just being allowed to call it a resignation, which I'm sure was a condition of the buy out. Better late than never.

Thank you President Smatresk for doing what needed to be done, even if it took a while. Now please do not hire any UNT assistant AD to fill RV's spot. Look outside. 

For everyone who said "poor little old UNT just doesn't have the money," please get that loser mentality out of your line of thought. The hustler is being paid the last TWO years of his contract to go away. I wouldn't be surprised to see Benford shown the door shortly after the new AD hire. This isn't your Grandpa's UNT. Stop acting like it is (I love you, but you are one of the worst offenders here Harry). 

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 10