Rico Bussey Update

Harry

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Agree, if we're gonna take lumps I'd like to see it done with young players, something McCarney seemed averse to doing.

Well, I'm not saying we need to throw them out there NOW if they're not ready.  I'm just excited about them in the future... if that's this fall, great!  If that's 2017-beyond, that's fine too.   I think Bussey cracks the 2-deep during fall practice though (looking at your spot Connor Davis/Kenny Buyers).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Agree, if we're gonna take lumps I'd like to see it done with young players, something McCarney seemed averse to doing.

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think Bussey cracks the 2-deep during fall practice though (looking at your spot Connor Davis/Kenny Buyers).

Receiver is a tough spot to learn and handle. If they become starters or get a lot of snaps as true freshmen, that would mean that they are either really good, or the receiver depth isn't. I hope for the former, if they get lots of playing time.

50 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Receiver is a tough spot to learn and handle. If they become starters or get a lot of snaps as true freshmen, that would mean that they are either really good, or the receiver depth isn't. I hope for the former, if they get lots of playing time.

?

Your Bamas, Ohio States, etc. don't redshirt their top receivers like they do QBs and linemen.  Other than special teams and possibly RB, WR may be the easiest position for a developed, athletic freshman to contribute right away.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

?

Your Bamas, Ohio States, etc. don't redshirt their top receivers like they do QBs and linemen.  Other than special teams and possibly RB, WR may be the easiest position for a developed, athletic freshman to contribute right away.

Especially when going 4-wide almost every set.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

?

We don't get Bama talent.

Bussey or Hair can't go 9 routes every time they line up. 

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

?

I could see some spot plays with his talent and speed! Get him is space and LET it FLY!

4 hours ago, Aldo said:

It's all relative.  We don't get Bama talent at any position.  Well, other than QB, of course.  Point being, a WR is more likely to step in and contribute quickly than other positions, not less likely.  And Texan's post spoke about unseating a couple of players who have never seen the field as WRs, anyway.  I wouldn't be shocked to see one of these freshmen finishing the year among our top 4 in receiving yards.

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Especially when going 4-wide almost every set.

Very true.  Although "4-wide" may be somewhat of a misnomer, since Kelvin Smith is projected to be one of those starting 4.  He may be split out, but the dude's still a TE when I see him.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Aldo said:

Bussey knows every route we run. It's the same offense, maybe a little more vanilla (what he ran in HS).  I think both will contribute next year as well as the Martin Duo. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Bussey knows every route we run. It's the same offense, maybe a little more vanilla (what he ran in HS).  I think both will contribute next year as well as the Martin Duo. 

23 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Point being, a WR is more likely to step in and contribute quickly than other positions, not less likely.

I disagree. Bussey's tape shows that he needs to work on his route running. Solid, but somewhat raw prospect that needs refinement.

Gimme an over-under on snap counts, or starting week, or season yardage and give me the under.

To be clear, I believe towards the end of the year he could contribute a few snaps a game, may have a highlight reel catch here and there, but not "significant" contributor, and not a starter.

I'll buy you a beer if - IF - I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

I disagree. Bussey's tape shows that he needs to work on his route running. Solid, but somewhat raw prospect that needs refinement.

Gimme an over-under on snap counts, or starting week, or season yardage and give me the under.

To be clear, I believe towards the end of the year he could contribute a few snaps a game, may have a highlight reel catch here and there, but not "significant" contributor, and not a starter.

I'll buy you a beer if - IF - I'm wrong.

He will be in the 2 deep by the 4th game 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, GMG24 said:

He will be in the 2 deep by the 4th game 

Sounds like we have a 3-way-wager:

MeanGreenTexan: Bussey in 2-deep during Fall practice  (I win if he cracks the 2-deep anytime before kickoff of SMU game)
GMG24: Bussey in 2-deep by the 4th game (GMG24 wins if he works his way into the 2-deep between kickoff of SMU & kickoff of MTSU, which is the 5th game)
Aldo: Bussey not a "significant" contributor... meaning not in the 2-deep at all? (Aldo wins if Bussey redshirts, or only plays ST's with maybe a handful of snaps @ WR all season & never shows up on a 2-deep chart).

I guess we all lose if he shows up on a 2-deep after week 5.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sounds like we have a 3-way-wager:

MeanGreenTexan: Bussey in 2-deep during Fall practice  (I win if he cracks the 2-deep anytime before kickoff of SMU game)
GMG24: Bussey in 2-deep by the 4th game (GMG24 wins if he works his way into the 2-deep between kickoff of SMU & kickoff of MTSU, which is the 5th game)
Aldo: Bussey not a "significant" contributor... meaning not in the 2-deep at all? (Aldo wins if Bussey redshirts, or only plays ST's with maybe a handful of snaps @ WR all season & never shows up on a 2-deep chart).

I guess we all lose if he shows up on a 2-deep after week 5.

I don't want to wait all season for a free beer ;-) 

I'll simplify and take 2-deep after week 4.

If he's on the two deep at any point before, I am buying both beers

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I don't want to wait all season for a free beer ;-) 

I'll simplify and take 2-deep after week 4.

If he's on the two deep at any point before, I am buying both beers

wait a minute...  that's not what you were saying above. 

Can't hedge the bet & take credit for something you're not claiming, you sneaky guy you.

Do you honestly think Bussey is talented enough to crack the 2-deep during the MT game or after?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

wait a minute...  that's not what you were saying above. 

Can't hedge the bet & take credit for something you're not claiming, you sneaky guy you.

Do you honestly think Bussey is talented enough to crack the 2-deep during the MT game or after?

I asked for the over under, and it was given as week 4 (or week 1 for you).

And it's not a talent question. He's got to be able to win at the LOS, and beat his guy on cuts, etc. Technique.

20 minutes ago, Aldo said:

And it's not a talent question. He's got to be able to win at the LOS, and beat his guy on cuts, etc. Technique.

Ill take his sub 11 second and some good coaching by the WR's coaches on route and technique.  This is an easy one for me.  BTW don't drink beer only vodka and whiskey.  I know take away my man card.  You can give my beer to @MeanGreenTexan 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Aldo said:

9 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Ill take his sub 11 second and some good coaching by the WR's coaches on route and technique.  This is an easy one for me.  BTW don't drink beer only vodka and whiskey.  I know take away my man card.  You can give my beer to @MeanGreenTexan 

Well, that settles it then.   Expect a PM from me if he shows up on the depth chart before the SMU game.  GMG24 will PM if he shows up before the MT game (giving him the whole 4th week to work his way in).  Aldo will PM after the MT game if he just doesn't cut it.

Rico,
If you're reading this buddy, WORK!  See you on 9/3!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...