Houston's head coach doesn't think SMU is willing to pay the price for a winning football program

Harry

Last season, the Coogs won 13 games, including a 38-24 victory over No. 9 Florida State in the Peach Bowl. The only teams to win more games than Houston last year - CFP champion Alabama and runner-up Clemson.

Their path to the Peach Bowl also included a 49-28 rout over Chad Morris and the rebuilding 2-win SMU Mustangs, and in a recent conversation with the Rotary Club of Houston, Herman threw out this jab against the Mustangs:

'We understand the price of a championship. That price is the same for Alabama, as it is for Ohio State, as it is for the University of Houston...In order to pay that price you've got to be willing to invest. Guess what? There's a price for 9-win seasons. There's a price for 8-win seasons and 7-win seasons and 6-win seasons...And if you're satisfied with going 7-5 and going to the Poulan Weed-Eater Bowl, then great. Then you're in the wrong program, and we'll find a place for you to go. I hear there's a private school up in Dallas that's really looking to try to get to 7 wins...We are into building championships.'

read more: http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/smumustangs/2016/05/12/ironic-shots-fired-houstons-head-coach-think-smu-willing-pay-price-winning-football-program

Dat strength of schedule doe.

I respect what Houston does, but their 2015 foes' regular season records:

63-86 (19-29 OOC)

They had around a top 40-50 ranked easiest schedule, while 'Bama had the #1 hardest. All 4 playoff teams had decidedly harder schedules. Heck, SMU had a harder schedule.

While they had good victories over P5s, they need to start shedding the FCS games, get their SOS rank higher for a G5 chance at a playoff.

• Upvote 7

Hmmm.  Trying to compare his school to Clemson and Alabama?

We'll see what happens right out of the chute this year because they open with Oklahoma.  Oklahoma alumni are all over Houston, same as Dallas because of the petroleum engineering jobs down there; OU cranks out tons of those and Texas companies snap them up.

I'd be shocked if there weren't more OU fans at NRG that day...thousands more as OU shows Houston how a Clemson- or Alabama-like fan base shows up no matter where the game is. 

Houston might hang around for a quarter or two...but, I doubt it.  OU returns the QB, RBs, most of their WRs, and plenty on defense.  Houston coach is, I'm afraid, writing checks his team can't cash...and, pitifully/pointlessly, doing it at SMU's expense. 

What a tough guy.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Could anyone every imagine the Hattiesburg Hustler saying these words? Ever? 

Take a look, folks, that's what a real program does.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Hmmm.  Trying to compare his school to Clemson and Alabama?

We'll see what happens right out of the chute this year because they open with Oklahoma.  Oklahoma alumni are all over Houston, same as Dallas because of the petroleum engineering jobs down there; OU cranks out tons of those and Texas companies snap them up.

I'd be shocked if there weren't more OU fans at NRG that day...thousands more as OU shows Houston how a Clemson- or Alabama-like fan base shows up no matter where the game is. 

Houston might hang around for a quarter or two...but, I doubt it.  OU returns the QB, RBs, most of their WRs, and plenty on defense.  Houston coach is, I'm afraid, writing checks his team can't cash...and, pitifully/pointlessly, doing it at SMU's expense. 

What a tough guy.

I have a feeling you are completely wrong. 

Houston is coming off a win over Florida St., the previous season's national champion when Houston beat them. 

Plus, Houston is actually playing a big boy in their home city. Alums will travel back to Houston for this game in droves.

If you want to know why UNT is such a failure, it's demonstrated in the mindset of this very post. "Hey, we got SMU at home. I mean, it just can't get any better" and then trying to make fun of a program that is light years ahead of where UNT has ever and will ever be.

Just...

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 8

56 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Houston is coming off a win over Florida St., the previous season's national champion when Houston beat them. 

Plus, Houston is actually playing a big boy in their home city. Alums will travel back to Houston for this game in droves.

If you want to know why UNT is such a failure, it's demonstrated in the mindset of this very post. "Hey, we got SMU at home. I mean, it just can't get any better" and then trying to make fun of a program that is light years ahead of where UNT has ever and will ever be.

Just...

I didn't know that alums had to travel back to Houston for games? Similar thing for us so who am I to say. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep.  Not impressed with how he handles himself.

Nevertheless, he brought the Coogs to a very nice win over FSU and into the national conversation. I wish we had the same determination as they do. Brass balls I say, is what we need. But sadly...

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Just...

And yet your still here...go away please. You will be much happier. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

22 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Nevertheless, he brought the Coogs to a very nice win over FSU and into the national conversation. I wish we had the same determination as they do. Brass balls I say, is what we need. But sadly...

Many coaches have been successful without acting like he does.  I agree that he has brought them success, but as my grandmother used to say, "some people only have taste in their mouth."

Your = possession

You're = you are

Going back to Houston for a game isn't a great thing when the game isn't played on your campus...I don't want to play any team at any spot other than apogee if it's a home game....you reward fans with great games at home...people get their seats....their atmosphere. ..not some NFL stadium...that is not a home game...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

He's a good coach but a total moron. See his hilarious interview with SportsRadio610 (a watered down version of the Ticket) for more hilarity from this tool.

You are still a troll. Some things never change!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

And yet your still here...go away please. You will be much happier. 

Typical of UNT. Any fan that demands an ounce of accountability is asked to go away. Being friends with Rick Villarreal must mean a whole lot to you. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Many coaches have been successful without acting like he does.  I agree that he has brought them success, but as my grandmother used to say, "some people only have taste in their mouth."

Not justifying his behavior, but I do admire the brass balls shown by Houston's power brokers. Thinking big. Whether they get there or not, remains to be seen. But, at least they're trying.

20 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Not justifying his behavior, but I do admire the brass balls shown by Houston's power brokers. Thinking big. Whether they get there or not, remains to be seen. But, at least they're trying.

Too bad UNT fans always have to admire that from way way afar. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

11 hours ago, GMG24 said:

You are still a troll. Some things never change!

Why? Because I don't like Herman? Dude, I didn't like him when he was at OSU even though he won them a title and I'm partial to OSU because my father went there.

His aggressive attitude isn't good for a program like UH if they want more local airtime. Win all they want, but you need to hook the casual fans, and UH's big coach having a meltdown, threatening an on air guy in the process, isn't really a good look.

And, now the guy that he threatened on air is at FS1. You think Nick Wright is ever going to call up Herman for an interview to give them national publicity?

It's bad business.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, THOR said:

Your = possession

You're = you are

Going back to Houston for a game isn't a great thing when the game isn't played on your campus...I don't want to play any team at any spot other than apogee if it's a home game....you reward fans with great games at home...people get their seats....their atmosphere. ..not some NFL stadium...that is not a home game...

If add a caveat, if you could replace a true away payday game with a NFL stadium game in the area that episode be sweet...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love that we ridicule a coach who beat a top ten team less than a year ago.  It's hilarious that we look down upon a team that has aspirations of doing more than being satisfied with the status quo.  How dare he not realize that his program isn't Oklahoma?  Why can't he just stay in his lane and give up his pipe dreams?  Nobody likes it when the whore hits back.

Maybe we should just be happy that our football program puts on events where they are nice and tout our academic progress...as if winning and being good citizens are mutually exclusive. 

And nobody should EVER be made to feel ashamed fir taking a shot at SMU

I don't care if some may not like to hear it...Only at North Texas

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

I love that we ridicule a coach who beat a top ten team less than a year ago.  It's hilarious that we look down upon a team that has aspirations of doing more than being satisfied with the status quo.  How dare he not realize that his program isn't Oklahoma?  Why can't he just stay in his lane and give up his pipe dreams?  Nobody likes it when the whore hits back.

Maybe we should just be happy that our football program puts on events where they are nice and tout our academic progress...as if winning and being good citizens are mutually exclusive. 

And nobody should EVER be made to feel ashamed fir taking a shot at SMU

I don't care if some may not like to hear it...Only at North Texas

Yes, we need coaches who threaten on-air media for not covering UNT. You're absolutely correct.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Yes, we need coaches who threaten on-air media for not covering UNT. You're absolutely correct.

I don't care if he threatened to kill Ryan Munthe if he beat the #9 P5 team in a major bowl while going 12-1. 

It would be a refreshing change to have someone actually demand something from UNT athletics.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

7 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Why? Because I don't like Herman? Dude, I didn't like him when he was at OSU even though he won them a title and I'm partial to OSU because my father went there.

His aggressive attitude isn't good for a program like UH if they want more local airtime. Win all they want, but you need to hook the casual fans, and UH's big coach having a meltdown, threatening an on air guy in the process, isn't really a good look.

And, now the guy that he threatened on air is at FS1. You think Nick Wright is ever going to call up Herman for an interview to give them national publicity?

It's bad business.

You're really reaching on this one. Herman has been on plenty radio shows and on many national broadcasts. He doesn't need Nick Wright for that lol. The sheer fact that we're the only G5 with an actual national title shot right now is national discussion alone.

How about you stay at the kiddies table and let the grown-ups have this discussion Junior. *drops mic*

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5