2016 UNT Coaching Caravan Update

Harry

Coaches.jpg

The North Texas Coaches Caravan will continue this week at Park Place Lexus in Plano. These fun happy hour events will give fans the opportunity to meet Mean Green Coaches and fellow supporters.

This year will mark the Caravan's first time at Times Ten Cellars in Fort Worth and the North Texas Fairgrounds in Denton.

This year's schedule consists of:

May 11th - Plano at Park Place Lexus from 6-8 PM

May 12th - Fort Worth at Times Ten Cellars from 5:30-7:30 PM

May 17th - Gainesville at First State Bank from 5:30-7:30 PM

May 18th - Denton at the North Texas Fairgrounds from 5:30-7:30 PM

CLICK HERE for further information on the Coaches Caravan.

CLICK HERE to reserve your tickets for a Coaches Caravan location or call the North Texas Ticket Office at (940) 565-2527.

CLICK HERE for a video of highlights of the Coaches Caravan at The Rustic in Dallas.

Hope the weather holds.

Anyone else going to the Fairgrounds? It's kind of an inconvenience in theory, but I'll at least try it out. Wouldn't mind my energetic 3 year old being a 3 year old somewhere other than in the house for an evening.

Plano event was fun, as usual; but, there didn't seem to be as many people there as in the past.  That was disappointing. 

UNT staff, despite all of the bitching here, was as helpful and friendly as ever.  I always leave these thing wondering how anyone can complain about the people in the athletic department. 

And, yes, I know we've been losing at the big three for quite sometime.  But, I always go back to how clean the program is run, and how many good people work in the athletic department.  

I want us to win as badly as the next alum or fan.  But, would I trade it for the reputation of hiding a child molester like Penn State?  To have players who break women's faces on the roster like Oklahoma?  To be constantly caught up in recruiting violations like virtually every SEC school not named Vanderbilt?

You can say losing comes from the top and blame Rick Villarreal, and that's fine.  I totally understand.  But, the off the field stuff also must come from the top down, then.  You can't argue that this athletic department is embarrassing either the school or its alumni from either a conduct or academic standpoint. 

For the sake of Rick and everyone in the athletic department, I truly hope the "big three" programs can turn it around.  There are many good people in the athletic department who work hard and love North Texas.  Cannot rail against them.

Thank you, again, for the sixth year in a row, for giving my family a fun night at the Coaches' Caravan event.  Amazing to think my kids have now basically grown up going to these things.  Hopefully it is creating a bond, in their minds, to UNT.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 5

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Plano event was fun, as usual; but, there didn't seem to be as many people there as in the past.  That was disappointing. 

UNT staff, despite all of the bitching here, was as helpful and friendly as ever.  I always leave these thing wondering how anyone can complain about the people in the athletic department. 

And, yes, I know we've been losing at the big three for quite sometime.  But, I always go back to how clean the program is run, and how many good people work in the athletic department.  

I want us to win as badly as the next alum or fan.  But, would I trade it for the reputation of hiding a child molester like Penn State?  To have players who break women's faces on the roster like Oklahoma?  To be constantly caught up in recruiting violations like virtually every SEC school not named Vanderbilt?

You can say losing comes from the top and blame Rick Villarreal, and that's fine.  I totally understand.  But, the off the field stuff also must come from the top down, then.  You can't argue that this athletic department is embarrassing either the school or its alumni from either a conduct or academic standpoint. 

For the sake of Rick and everyone in the athletic department, I truly hope the "big three" programs can turn it around.  There are many good people in the athletic department who work hard and love North Texas.  Cannot rail against them.

Thank you, again, for the sixth year in a row, for giving my family a fun night at the Coaches' Caravan event.  Amazing to think my kids have now basically grown up going to these things.  Hopefully it is creating a bond, in their minds, to UNT.

Can we just try to be like La Tech, Southern Miss, Arkansas State, or ULL? I mean, these guys all win fairly often as lower G5 programs like we are without the violations. Hell, seeing Benford in that picture just makes me want to have a basketball program that can compete year-in and year-out with freaking UTA...and realizing we can't even get over that curb-level hurdle with this guy, who gets a 5th year to spare everyone else to death...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Can we just try to be like La Tech, Southern Miss, Arkansas State, or ULL? I mean, these guys all win fairly often as lower G5 programs like we are without the violations. Hell, seeing Benford in that picture just makes me want to have a basketball program that can compete year-in and year-out with freaking UTA...and realizing we can't even get over that curb-level hurdle with this guy, who gets a 5th year to spare everyone else to death...

Agree with most of that...except that ULL recently was caught messing with ACT scores for football players:  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/ncaa-violations-forces-louisiana-lafayette-vacate-22-games-assistant-coach-falsified-act-scores/1wewxph66vfhe14xwjk0y6g9yf

As far as Benford...it's easy to blame the school for not firing him and just taking the monetary loss.  However, we're not a school that has the type of donors who like to throw money that way.

Not that we don't have some rich alumni.  It's just that they don't pay enough attention to the athletic department to throw their hard-earned money into buying out contracts.  Thinking of guys like Sam Moon.  The guy does many good charitable things with his money.  Buying out basketball coaches' contracts isn't high on the list of guys like that.

So...just...we live with it until we get rich donors who care more about college athletics than charities. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Moving the date affected some people who couldn't make it on the second date. My brother and sister-in-law were two who had other plans for Wednesday night. Also, the Stars playoff game might have kept some people from going as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We have our own conduct issues... just maybe not NCAA infractions (for all we know).   I mean we do frequent Walmart for funsies, We like to hit and run while drunk, have our friends of people who hit and run while drunk help protect them, have people run from the cops, and as a former hall director that ended in 2012, i can tell you they didn't always hold themselves in the best of light. 

Sort of On Topic, Off topic note... you know who was the most responsive coach I worked with... Our beloved Johnny Jones. 

We aren't exactly the model citizen program. 

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, Travis said:

We have our own conduct issues... just maybe not NCAA infractions (for all we know).   I mean we do frequent Walmart for funsies, We like to hit and run while drunk, have our friends of people who hit and run while drunk help protect them, have people run from the cops, and as a former hall director that ended in 2012, i can tell you they didn't always hold themselves in the best of light. 

Sort of On Topic, Off topic note... you know who was the most responsive coach I worked with... Our beloved Johnny Jones. 

Maybe not model, but I bet a lot better than most 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Travis said:

22 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Maybe not model, but I bet a lot better than most 

Yeah, it's nearly impossible not to have some sort of issue. With the number of athletes you are bound to have at least a couple make some bad decisions. Some decisions are worse than others (Jim Jim and Schelecci come to mind as the relatively minor 'dumb kid' decisions). If that's the worst our athletes do then that's not all that bad. Unfortunately, that isn't the worst, but even then those incidents have been pretty rare.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Let's just be consistently average at things on the field/court. You speak as if expectations are natty or nothing. 

#ADapologist 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Several points.

First, decreased attendance will be a theme you see brought up much more often in the fall.

Secondly, the most visible sign of success inside a program is wins and loses. It's great that academics are ok (they haven't always been. We lost scholarships to APR problems when Dodge first got here. The Hattiesburg Hustler was well into his 6th or 7th year at that point), but they are also ok at a host of other universities that aren't terrible at every sport that matters. 

You exhibit the exact problem that has put UNT in their current position. Because people in the athletic department are nice to you, you assume they are good at their job when every piece of tangible evidence says otherwise. We should just keep the Hattiesburg Hustler around because he is so nice to you, eh? I mean, screw job performance. And then you wonder why UNT sucks at everything athletic that matters. 

When your kids get to be teenagers and can read scoreboards, their interest in UNT will magically fade. That's just life. Be prepared.,

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

On 5/10/2016 at 4:46 PM, Harry said:

Coaches.jpg

The North Texas Coaches Caravan will continue this week at Park Place Lexus in Plano. These fun happy hour events will give fans the opportunity to meet Mean Green Coaches and fellow supporters.

This year will mark the Caravan's first time at Times Ten Cellars in Fort Worth and the North Texas Fairgrounds in Denton.

This year's schedule consists of:

May 11th - Plano at Park Place Lexus from 6-8 PM

May 12th - Fort Worth at Times Ten Cellars from 5:30-7:30 PM

May 17th - Gainesville at First State Bank from 5:30-7:30 PM

May 18th - Denton at the North Texas Fairgrounds from 5:30-7:30 PM

CLICK HERE for further information on the Coaches Caravan.

CLICK HERE to reserve your tickets for a Coaches Caravan location or call the North Texas Ticket Office at (940) 565-2527.

CLICK HERE for a video of highlights of the Coaches Caravan at The Rustic in Dallas.

Lol look at RV cheesin in this picture

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Several points.

First, decreased attendance will be a theme you see brought up much more often in the fall.

Secondly, the most visible sign of success inside a program is wins and loses. It's great that academics are ok (they haven't always been. We lost scholarships to APR problems when Dodge first got here. The Hattiesburg Hustler was well into his 6th or 7th year at that point), but they are also ok at a host of other universities that aren't terrible at every sport that matters. 

You exhibit the exact problem that has put UNT in their current position. Because people in the athletic department are nice to you, you assume they are good at their job when every piece of tangible evidence says otherwise. We should just keep the Hattiesburg Hustler around because he is so nice to you, eh? I mean, screw job performance. And then you wonder why UNT sucks at everything athletic that matters. 

When your kids get to be teenagers and can read scoreboards, their interest in UNT will magically fade. That's just life. Be prepared.,

Well, these events are a good opportunity for you to talk to the athletic department people face-to-face and tell them they aren't doing their job.  Which stop is closest to you?  I'll go just to hear you put your money where your mouth is...or, your money where your computer posting is, as is the modern way.

As for my kids, athletics will not be high on the list of important features of the college they choose. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Well, these events are a good opportunity for you to talk to the athletic department people face-to-face and tell them they aren't doing their job.  Which stop is closest to you?  I'll go just to hear you put your money where your mouth is...or, your money where your computer posting is, as is the modern way.

As for my kids, athletics will not be high on the list of important features of the college they choose. 

Your teenage kids may have a different opinion. 

Not quit sure why making a public spectacle of myself and embarrassing myself, AD staff, and alumni is necessary in your book. Everyone knows nothing good will come of that. Hell, emailing the President doesn't even matter. 

And by your own words, the most important thing is already happening. People just aren't going. Think I'll stick with THAT crowd. Prepare yourself for the same this fall.

But, hey, people sure are nice, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

Just now, UNT90 said:

Your teenage kids may have a different opinion. 

Not quit sure why making a public spectacle of myself and embarrassing myself, AD staff, and alumni is necessary in your book. Everyone knows nothing good will come of that. Hell, emailing the President doesn't even matter. 

And by your own words, the most important thing is already happening. People just aren't going. Think I'll stick with THAT crowd.

Okay.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

9 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Well, actually, it's been proven that quality athletics drives academics, applications, set standards, etc. for a university. Ask the Ivy's how the opposite is treating their athletic programs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Well, actually, it's been proven that quality athletics drives academics, applications, set standards, etc. for a university. Ask the Ivy's how the opposite is treating their athletic programs. 

Really?  Explain Rice, any Ivy League school of your choice, Tulane, Vanderbilt, etc.  You really think these schools are suffering because they lack great athletic programs.  Go check their endowments.  You think a kid who is accepted to, say, Brown, says..."gee, I'd like to go there, but the football is terribly average.  Memphis is on a roll, surely I can get it there instead!"

Again, athletics will not be high on the list of my kids when it comes to choosing a college...I know because I'll be writing the tuition checks.

• Downvote 2

Really?  Explain Rice, any Ivy League school of your choice, Tulane, Vanderbilt, etc.  You really think these schools are suffering because they lack great athletic programs.  Go check their endowments.  You think a kid who is accepted to, say, Brown, says..."gee, I'd like to go there, but the football is terribly average.  Memphis is on a roll, surely I can get it there instead!"

Again, athletics will not be high on the list of my kids when it comes to choosing a college...I know because I'll be writing the tuition checks.

If your kids are getting into Brown then I'd imagine athletics is certainly not on their priority list. Odds are they would probably have minimal knowledge of sports to begin with if they're going to Princeton, Yale, etc. But let's categorize them as the common students like the 99% of us. 

Did anyone attend the event in Ft. Worth last night ?  If so, how did it go ?  We were planning to go but our grandson's baseball game was rescheduled to last night  due to some previous bad weather and we preferred to go to that .