We should try to emulate Southern Miss in our rebound

Harry

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

But Fly told us the money was there if Benford underperformed.  And buying out the last year of Benford's contract wasn't done to protect the Hattiesburg Hustler. It had nothing to do with money. If UNT can't afford $375k basketball buy out, they need to drop down to D2. That's right, even an FCS can make that payment. 

The Hustler is betting that Benford will win big in year 5 (he won't) in order to save what the Hustler thinks is some kind of legacy. 

His legacy is losing, and is written in stone. 

This probably has a lot of truth to it. I find it very hard to believe that the 375 wasn't there. I too believe it had to do with him (or the boosters) not wanting to fire all 3 of our "revenue" coaches in the same calendar year. It just doesn't sit well. The thing is that everyone knows what is going on and just hiding it doesn't sit well either. So...........................................................................the beat goes on. 

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Again, you have the right to your opinion.  However, people need to stop glossing over the fact the Mac buyout hampers a lot of what we can do right now.  It lessens our available options.  We have to stop ignoring the fact that Mac's $2.4 MILLION dollar buyout is the biggest personnel expenditure in the history of the UNT system.  If you want to focus in on mistakes, let's rewind to after the bowl win in 2014 when we redid the Mac deal.  I raise my hand guilty as charged thinking that was the right thing to do at the time.  We were coming off of the high water mark for me as a fan winning a bowl game on New Years day.  We were drunk with optimism.  I speak for myself and I believe the majority... there will be those who claim they were against it but their numbers were few.   In hindsight, it was a terrible, terrible mistake.  It impacted what we could do for a new staff, the Benford issue and many other projects that could have used that money like baseball etc.

To think buying out Tony's contract did not have some direct tie-in to the Mac buyout disaster is naive.  Notice that Mac has not resurfaced and probably will not until the entire buyout is in his bank.  I wish we had a unlimited source of funding to tap into but we do not.

You run an awesome website...and I love reading and posting on it. And everything you just posted is dead-on...

All I want is for the university to show us that they will commit to winning--an investment into personnel by US, not by a few moneyed alums, but by US. I get it that Benford is here because we bought off Mac's extended contract. But you can send a very solid message by reassigning RV to fundraising only for the university, not leading the entire athletic department or by allowing him to lead in hiring our revenue coaches AFTER his previous hires have completely tanked. Nobody else does that in college athletics--except us.

To me, getting an ass-raping against a team from the SEC or the Big XII is better than paying FCS Podunk State to come here and take away precious dollars from a budget that could have been used to pay for buyouts that are literally killing our program. I damn sure know that the $425k we paid to Portland State would have been better used somewhere else...

16 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

But Fly told us the money was there if Benford underperformed.  And buying out the last year of Benford's contract wasn't done to protect the Hattiesburg Hustler. It had nothing to do with money. If UNT can't afford $375k basketball buy out, they need to drop down to D2. That's right, even an FCS can make that payment. 

The Hustler is betting that Benford will win big in year 5 (he won't) in order to save what the Hustler thinks is some kind of legacy. 

His legacy is losing, and is written in stone. 

f29.png

• Upvote 1

USM posted 18 consecutive winning seasons. They cleared out Bower when he stagnated and hired Fedora. He was the MUTS OC in 2001.

He landed the USM job after bouncing around had three OK years and then exploded and got the UNC job.

Rather than hire Fedora's OC (Blake Anderson) they hired Johnson. He brought in greats like Ricky Bustle and Tommy West who had been fired as head coach three times between them.

They not only ditched the spread option with tempo, the average age of the coaching staff went up more than 10 years.

The AD at USM repudiated everything Fedora had done by changing systems and going with a much older staff.

They didn't stumble they needed to be placed on psychiatric hold for self-harm.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

More than that, the AD that hired Johnson retired soon after his hiring.  His successor, Jeff Hammond, was not rehired after firing Coach Johnson.  So who was the "real AD" that UNT90 was referring to?

I don't know. That wasn't my point. What I was getting at was that they didn't tolerate that failure and also that Johnson didn't have years to set the program back through bad recruiting classes, like Mccarney did.

20 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I do think we need to emulate a couple of programs in marketing and off the field strategy. We are way behind in that area. We need more innovation and creativity to flow through the athletic dept. 

One hundo

38 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

USM posted 18 consecutive winning seasons.

Double one hundo. Which ties into the following

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

they didn't tolerate that failure and also that Johnson didn't have years to set the program back through bad recruiting classes, like Mccarney did.

Board is clicking y'all. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don't know. That wasn't my point. What I was getting at was that they didn't tolerate that failure and also that Johnson didn't have years to set the program back through bad recruiting classes, like Mccarney did.

Correct, they didn't let a problem hire failed coach after failed coach and hang around for 15 years because "Gee, he is just such a nice guy." 

#noaccountabilityUNT

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3