Media Deal is Done :(

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/05/02/In-Depth/Media-rights.aspx

Conference USA, too, is expected to see its annual rights fee drop from the $7 million per year range to just around $1 million per year, sources said, as the conference replaced bigger college brands like Central Florida, Houston and Memphis with smaller ones like Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee State and Western Kentucky. The deal with CBS and ESPN still has not been announced formally, but the conference says it will soon make an announcement.

Conference USA’s current deals with Fox and CBS expire in June. Fox opted not to renew.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/05/02/In-Depth/Media-rights.aspx

Conference USA, too, is expected to see its annual rights fee drop from the $7 million per year range to just around $1 million per year, sources said, as the conference replaced bigger college brands like Central Florida, Houston and Memphis with smaller ones like Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee State and Western Kentucky. The deal with CBS and ESPN still has not been announced formally, but the conference says it will soon make an announcement.

Conference USA’s current deals with Fox and CBS expire in June. Fox opted not to renew.

Winning fixes everything!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

Only blind people who have to be in bed when the street lights come on would oppose the MWC.

Or those who passed basic math. The MWC media contracts are going down as well, plus unlike CUSA, the MWC doesn't share their media dollars evenly. Does anyone seriously think we would get dramatically more people willing to buy season tickets to see Fresno and Utah State than the Florida's? Actual, measurable experience has shown the answer to that is no. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

Or those who passed basic math. The MWC media contracts are going down as well, plus unlike CUSA, the MWC doesn't share their media dollars evenly. Does anyone seriously think we would get dramatically more people willing to buy season tickets to see Fresno and Utah State than the Florida's? Actual, measurable experience has shown the answer to that is no. 

It wouldn't take much more than one individual to exceed the number of season tickets purchased to see the FU's, so I'd have to disagree with that. I think we would draw much better in the MWC even if you're comparing the draw of say AF, Boise, CSU, NM, and SDSU, to the draw of our only significant CUSA "attractions" in UTSA, UTEP, LT, Middle, and Rice. I guess the "UT's" have potential, but I haven't been impressed with their attendance draw thus far.

It would be nice for once to be in a conference with some schools that are considered the top universities in their respective states. Granted they're smaller states for the most part, but most MWC members are still top dogs in their territories. It's all a moot old argument anyway, since I suspect we're a long way from even approaching their radar.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

It wouldn't take much more than one individual to exceed the number of season tickets purchased to see the FU's, so I'd have to disagree with that. I think we would draw much better in the MWC even if you're comparing the draw of say AF, Boise, CSU, NM, and SDSU, to the draw of our only significant CUSA "attractions" in UTSA, UTEP, LT, Middle, and Rice. I guess the "UT's" have potential, but I haven't been impressed with their attendance draw thus far.

It would be nice for once to be in a conference with some schools that are considered the top universities in their respective states. Granted they're smaller states for the most part, but most MWC members are still top dogs in their territories. It's all a moot old argument anyway, since I suspect we're a long way from even approaching their radar.  

Their attendance draws haven't been good to Apogee bc we suck and nothing is ever on the line. It's like Kentucky football complaining about Vanderbilt alum draw to a UK home football game. No one cares in that case and no one cares in this one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

That's not quite true. I hear that this guy and his posse have relocated here just because season tickets are available to see his beloved FUs.

tony montana blunt wrap gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Makes it sound like team turnover is primary reason for drastic drop.  It is not, if the conference had not changed a team; there would have still have been a substantially reduction.  The networks overbid before and most conferences are going to see significant reductions in TV money.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, North Texas Shep said:

Well shit! That sucks, but I still expect to get wins. If CUSA starts beating these other conferences and more watch the games, it should get a better deal.

If CUSA wins games, but no one is able to watch on TV, did they ever happen?

• Upvote 3

On 5/7/2016 at 9:54 AM, TreeFiddy said:

I thought the league was earning roughly $1mm per team annually previously from TV?

The total of the three deals with ESPN, Fox, and CBS totalled about 1.1 million per year per team.

This deal will also be multi part, so we'll see what the total comes out to be.

On 5/7/2016 at 11:13 PM, Rudy said:

And people still oppose the MWC if the option were there?

And why the hell would they want us?  Serious question.  Could we bring in more money than we would dilute the tv rights deal by?  Doesn't look like it.

At this point, I think it is obvious that CUSA is way to large at 14.  The SBC is about to go to 9.  I say CUSA/SBC swap teams

New SBUSA:

• North Texas
  • Rice
  • UTSA
  • UTEP
  • Southern Miss
  • La Tech
  • UAB
  • Ark St
  • NMSU
  • ULL
  • Tex St
  • ULM

New CBC:

• WKU
  • MTSU
  • Marshall
  • FAU
  • FIU
  • ODU
  • Charlotte
  • App St
  • Geo Sou
  • Geo St
  • Troy
  • USA

Call the conferences whatever you want.  Get everyone more regional in all sports.  What sense does it make for us to send the VB team to Miami?  Why does Marshall want to send the softball team to San Antonio?

• Upvote 5