Draft Anyone?

Mike Jackson

Very passively watching the NFL draft tonight and thought occurred: If UNT is ever going to turn the corner permanently they need to get some players drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft.  The question is when was the last time we had player drafted in the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft?   Have we ever had multiple players drafted in the first 4 rounds?

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Very passively watching the NFL draft tonight and thought occurred: If UNT is ever going to turn the corner permanently when need to get some players drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft.  The question is when was the last time we had player drafted in the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft?   Have we ever had multiple players drafted in the first 4 rounds?

UNT needs to start by getting a player drafted in any round. Zach Orr would have been a mid round pick if he played anywhere besides UNT. That's how bad the perception problem is.

Thanks RV.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 10

Last was 1989 Kim Phillips DB round 3.

In 1971 we had a 1 and 3.

In 1970 we had 5 drafted.  1, 2, 5, 10, 16.

That 1970 group played in over 300 pro games.  

Cedrick Hardman should be in the NFL hall of fame.  He picked up a Super Bowl ring with Oakland.

Ron Shanklin started in the Steelers first Super Bowl win in 1974.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 4

We did have a player drafted in the first round in three successive years...Joe Greene (1969), Len Dunlap (1970), and Cedric Hardman (1971).  Mean Joe is tied with receiver J.T. Smith for UNT pro longevity, with each playing 13 years.  

Abner Haynes would have been a first round pick in the NFL but he signed with the AFL Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs) before the two leagues merged.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

UNT needs to start by getting a player drafted in any round. Zach Orr would have been a mid round pick if he played anywhere besides UNT. That's how bad the perception problem is.

Thanks RV.

Yea I remember Mayock mentioning that!

16 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Damn.  The DT from LaTech just went in the 1st round.  Congrats to him.  

I remember him being good, but did not realize he had that high of a draft position potential.

La Tech could have 3-4 guys drafted. Dixon and maybe the qb in later rounds. Skip knowes what he is doing!

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Banking in Tennessee, probably wondering with the rest of us why the Cowboys didn't resign him in 2014 if they were gonna blow their first round wad on another RB in 2016.

Rick

Not so much a champ.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Thanks RV.

This is 100% true. Put Zach anywhere else other than EMU or UMASS and he's a mid round grade pick. Shame. And RV enthusiasts will chuckle at the idea of our draft status, but isn't it funny that he hasn't hired a coach who has produced a NFL draft pick? And couldn't wait to fire the last coach who did. RV is the UNT football antichrist. 

8 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Yea I remember Mayock mentioning that!

La Tech could have 3-4 guys drafted. Dixon and maybe the qb in later rounds. Skip knowes what he is doing!

Not so much a champ.

Dixon was brought in by Sonny Dykes. Kenneth Dixon shunned a legit Arkansas offer after he carried his HS team to a state championship out of Strong, AR. I have had respect for him since that decision. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Thanks RV.

That perception began way before RV arrived. Though he's only helped further cement it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If McClain continues to play at a high level, he may get a shot too.

I was also thinking mcclain, but there's a lot if his type around. There's not many safeties that get drafted and the ones that do, seem to come from big schools.  He definitely has the skill and frame, but I can see some saying this conference doesn't prepare him for physical football, like the P5s. 

He should get a look if he can make some all conference teams.

9 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Damn.  The DT from LaTech just went in the 1st round.  Congrats to him.  

I remember him being good, but did not realize he had that high of a draft position potential.

I got all excited hoping that we would at least see a UNT uniform on his highlight real.  NOPE nothing but UTSA, Rice, WKU, and FIU highlights

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

I was also thinking mcclain, but there's a lot if his type around. There's not many safeties that get drafted and the ones that do, seem to come from big schools.  He definitely has the skill and frame, but I can see some saying this conference doesn't prepare him for physical football, like the P5s. 

He should get a look if he can make some all conference teams.

I think if he gets some all C-USA love this year and next, he may get an invite to a senior post-season game.  If so, it'll be his time to shine.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think if he gets some all C-USA love this year and next, he may get an invite to a senior post-season game.  If so, it'll be his time to shine.

The key is getting that combine invite.

In 2016 only 10-14 SS are projected to get drafted.  CB is close to 30 projected in 7 rounds each year.

5 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

The key is getting that combine invite.

In 2016 only 10-14 SS are projected to get drafted.  CB is close to 30 projected in 7 rounds each year.

If he plays well enough to get a combine invite, he'll be regarded as one of the best players to come through here, and he'll likely be a lock to be drafted.   Aiming pretty high.  Not impossible... He has 2 years to get there.

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yes,..he was the 2014 rushing champ.  No idea wtf point your making?

Rick

I get what you're saying, but I think general perception and history shows that it's generally unwise to open up the bank for a high workload RB pushing 30 - who, in Demarco's case, has only played a full 16 game season once in his career and only run for 1,000 yards twice. I agree, it does feel like a slight change in philosophy (Jerry strongly insinuated "anyone can run behind this line," and McFadden careered last year, and while you can't count on that again I like the Al Morris signing - FAU!), but I'd much rather give the money (which will be significantly less than Murray got) to a 20 year old stud with his best years ahead of him. 

• Upvote 2