UNT's 2016 post-spring depth chart (with comments)

Brett Vito

53 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

And that Shanbour should be given a shot to win the job since Morris is basically just as inexperienced.

Morris has had exactly one more live CFB pass attempt than Shanbour.  

Like I said before, the staff is new and has my trust so whoever the decide is the starter is OK with me.  I don't see it being as clear cut a selection as a lot of others do.  Yes Morris was a lot higher rated (and I put stock in stars), but Shanbour has spent a couple more years with these wr's, and this is going to be a timing offense.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

but Shanbour has spent a couple more years with these wr's, and this is going to be a timing offense.

Tee likes Morris, and he is our best WR.  Since we are going to "Tee" it up and let it fly, I'm sure that their connection is probably the most important, and judging by the spring SCRIMMAGE, that part seems to be fine.  We also have a 6'5 guy on the outside with either OK or Bendy.  I have been hearing those connections have been good, and actually saw some in person Saturday.

Unfortunately for Shanbour, he may not have even had the chance to work with those WRs.  

Maybe those who have seen multiple practices can attest that Morris is miles ahead of Shanbour as Vito suggests. Otherwise I trust Littrell's words of "he's not far off". I think the staff will have a legitimate question as to who will start. Maybe the depth chart will motivate Shanbour and he pushes ahead in the summer/fall to start. That's what I'm hoping for. Color me unimpressed with Morris. He's Derek Thompson 2.0 and as much as DT did for us, he's not exactly Tom Brady

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Just from what I have read, it seems like more people have just been saying things along the lines of Morris still needing to prove more before anointing him the undisputed starter. And that Shanbour should be given a shot to win the job since Morris is basically just as inexperienced.

Yes, but this hurts Vito's teenage girl's sports heart. ?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

51 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Color me unimpressed with Morris. He's Derek Thompson 2.0 and as much as DT did for us, he's not exactly Tom Brady

But if he is DT, with this offense, it could be exactly what we need. DT had his shortcomings, but a lot of it had to do with the offensive coaching, talent, and predictability of the offense.  

DT had a good deep ball, and it was rarely used.  Not even once in a while to keep a defense honest.  

I have seen the Air raid with a mobile QB that can dink and dunk with a quick release.  Case Keenum comes to mind.  Shanbour can be a poor man's Keenum and tear up CUSA.  Problem is the talent we have at WR.  UNT has backs that were similar to UH as far as shiftiness and cutting ability, but UH also had a lot of speed with their Air raid.  UNT isn't even close as far as speed to have a dink and dunk system like that.  UH had issues when it needed a big play with the smaller guys and also stalled in the red zone at times.  The issue with the dink and dunk, quick release air raid is when you face a team with just as much speed and the athletes that can man up.  Those big open spaces aren't there anymore.

The makeup and strength of UNT's WR is height. To take advantage of that, there needs to be a vertical deep threat to open up the underneath stuff to a slot and RBs.  Having a 6'5 athlete on one end will create serious matchups. You need a strong arm and a QB that can throw the ball with air under it.  Dink and dunk, quick passes to 6'2 Smith, 6'3 goree, 6'5 Rutherford doesn't take advantage of the WR strengths and mismatches.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Several surprises for me.

Guys that started last year not even listed like Turner Smiley (WR) and Roderick Young (DT)

The amount of new guys starting in the OL (Keenan, Henson)

The depth comment made before the spring game is probably understated.

Any new coach that talks about depth is going to understate it.

the fact that Littrell didn't think there was enough depth to run a Spring game should scare the hell out of this fan base.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

The best news of all is the switch to a three front defense.

It is difficult enough for big schools to find enough big bodies to run a 4-3 these days.  For a school like ours, it was virtually impossible to find enough big bodies even to stick in there to look the part.

Many small schools long ago went with three man fronts to become successful on defense.  I think mainly of the Utahs and TCUs, both former mid-majors who, due to the inability to recruit enough "big boys" on the D-line, turned to quirky defenses with three man fronts, with the chief weapons of their schemes being speed, fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and a near fanatical devotion to the Pope.

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

the fact that Littrell didn't think there was enough depth to run a Spring game should scare the hell out of this fan base.

Any fan who watched games last year and is still around is a battle hardened SOB.  It ain't coach speak this time, like it was when DMac got here.  We have very few playmakers and even less depth.

• Upvote 2

This is why I think Shanbour has won the hearts of many UNT fans in conjunction with  his performance this past spring which I think is just as good if not better than Morris. In Morris, we have a pro body kid who came to UNT because he will have a chance or was guaranteed play time as the first team QB for UNT and was given a 1 year scholarship without need to perform. Which is totally understandable and good for Morris. I may be wrong, but I don't think he would have ever left Alabama for UNT unless there were some sort of assurances and guarantees. On the other hand, you have an undersized kid who voluntarily came to UNT without any guarantees or assurances of playtime let alone financial assistance. In other words, he willfully chose UNT as a student athlete without incentive or for pecuniary gain (UNT's student player akin to A&M's 12th man). This undersized walk-on gets shoved aside and ignored by McCarney and Chico who had that Vito mindset that he doesn't look the part despite the fact we were in sore need of a QB last year.  By the way, from what i have read, Shanbour was at full health last year (no revisionist history here). Despite being treated like a non-factor, this kid chose to stay and help the Mean Green and the new incoming coaching regime. Most would have transferred out after being dismissed the way he had been.  Now this kid, who has been unconditionally loyal to UNT, is given the chance he has work hard for is performing at the level of the preordained starter, i can see why he has attained a strong fan base among the UNT faithful. He is one of us, this is UNT's "Rudy."  That being said, if Morris gives us the best chance to win, then of course, he should get the majority of play time.  Either way, Morris and Shanbour give this staff a nice transition at QB until they can get their recruits at QB in.  I am more worried about our O line by the first game than I am at any skill position. A QB and RB is only as good as his O line especially at this level.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It's not possible to scare the hell out of a 1-11 fan base, anymore than it's possible to scare the hell out of someone who's already in hell. Besides, it's all probably just part of our new modern day stealth strategy anyway. 

Edited by foutsrouts
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Any fan who watched games last year and is still around is a battle hardened SOB.  It ain't coach speak this time, like it was when DMac got here.  We have very few playmakers and even less depth.

This could not be more true. Last year was a beating. We were not competitive in any phase of the game. At least Dodge led teams were somewhat exciting on offense. 

• Upvote 3

Mac used his post spring lineups as a motivation tool, so you couldn't put a lot into it.  My guess, is Littrell is more honest about his lineup.  Although, there will undoubtably be a lot of changes before the first game.

Still there are a lot of surprises.  Smith and Davis as first team wr's.  Smith a tight end who edged out more conventional receivers and Davis, (I assume a walk on) that is apparently showing a lot. 

Offensive line has only one starter from last year projected to start at this time, Rice.  Good for Rentfro who started out well than disappeared under Mac.  

3 man defensive front with no Young on first two teams is disappointing.  NT actually looks in very good shape at the ends.  Surprised that Wegmann and walk-on Combes are second team nose tackles before not only Young, but Moore who seemed to have a good spring game.  

There is not a lot of depth obviously at linebacker.  Those jucos need to come through in the fall. 

No big surprises in the defensive backfield.  I do hope if Buyers is not going to be significantly used as a wr, that they put him back at db.   I can see him being very good at the rover position. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

It is difficult enough for big schools to find enough big bodies to run a 4-3 these days.  For a school like ours, it was virtually impossible to find enough big bodies even to stick in there to look the part.

If you look at the school that are really successful at the 3 front you'll notice they have a huge hoss at the NT.  Otherwise the guards run wild and eat linebackers.  I do like the move but I expect us to be very weak against the run until we get the right people to run it. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

Tee likes Morris, and he is our best WR.  Since we are going to "Tee" it up and let it fly, I'm sure that their connection is probably the most important, and judging by the spring SCRIMMAGE, that part seems to be fine.  We also have a 6'5 guy on the outside with either OK or Bendy.  I have been hearing those connections have been good, and actually saw some in person Saturday.

Unfortunately for Shanbour, he may not have even had the chance to work with those WRs.  

No he doesn't. He said what he was supposed to say to the media. No one knows who he prefers.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

It's not just about numbers across the line.  I've noticed that success in the 3-4 is largely contingent on having a big-time guy at nose.  Do we have that on our roster?

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Seems the only ones who are upset with the comment about falling in love with Shanbour, are the ones who are in love with Shanbour.

Really? Because I have said we don't know what either player has until we see them in live action.

Create your own narrative much?

1 hour ago, foutsrouts said:

It's not possible to scare the hell out of a 1-11 fan base, anymore than it's possible to scare the hell out of someone who's already in hell. Besides, it's all probably just part of our new modern day stealth strategy anyway. 

By some of the spring drunk 6-6 predictions running around this place, I think disappointment for some is VERY possible.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

10 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

No he doesn't. He said what he was supposed to say to the media. No one knows who he prefers.

Ok, I have a tough decision here.  Go by what goree said out of his mouth, go by all the reports from practice that said the morris to goree connection looks good this spring, go by what some players have personally said to me, and go from what my eye balls, Stats, and highlights showed last Saturday...

Or trust UNT90 that it was all playerspeak...hmm....hard choice.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NeonGreen said:

He is one of us, this is UNT's "Rudy."

I gotta say, that is probably unfair to Shanbour. Rudy sucked and was an a-hole to boot. Even Joe Montana said the carry off the field thing was a joke making fun of the guy. Shanbour to my eyes will be a significantly better player for us the next two year than Rudy was for his 2 plays.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

Unless you are close, personal friends with Goree and he told you this info in a private conversation that you were not supposed to share, and have shared, it is coach speak.

You are naive if you believe anything else.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 10

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Unless you are close, personal friends with Goree and he told you this info in a private conversation that you were not supposed to share, and have shared, it is coach speak.

First of all....Good God! is there a segment of our fan base on this board that is automatically going to hit the "negative" reputation arrow on every one of your posts? Geez, I'm waiting for you to post that the sun will be coming up in the east tomorrow and you getting a flurry of negative votes for that one.

Second of all. Excellent post.

Third. I would go a step further and say that Goree is going to like anyone that can get the ball to him on a regular basis. It doesn't matter what he personally thinks of him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I gotta say, that is probably unfair to Shanbour. Rudy sucked and was an a-hole to boot. Even Joe Montana said the carry off the field thing was a joke making fun of the guy. Shanbour to my eyes will be a significantly better player for us the next two year than Rudy was for his 2 plays.

I totally agree.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I'm still thinking...I havent made up my mind.  it's hard.

On one hand you have UNT90...

The other hand you have a coach that looks like a straight shooter on the surface.  Doesn't seem to play games.  He could have easily let morris, goree, wilson, Rutherford and all the starters go out there and blast the scout team.  Could have had Shanbour go against the 1s to make his choice for morris look a lot more solid.

He also seem to be straight up with Greer and demarcus smith.  Could have easily had this open comp with smith and at minimum had smith as an insurance policy.  

He also seem to be straight up when he moved a solid starting corner that was once CUSA honorable mention, to WR.

But in this interview with Goree, he told Goree to go out there and give some coachspeak about Morris...it's possible.  Right now, I'm giving you the edge cause of our GMG connection i have known you longer.

• Upvote 1