UNT's 2016 post-spring depth chart (with comments)

Brett Vito

9 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

First of all....Good God! is there a segment of our fan base on this board that is automatically going to hit the "negative" reputation arrow on every one of your posts? Geez, I'm waiting for you to post that the sun will be coming up in the east tomorrow and you getting a flurry of negative votes for that one.

Second of all. Excellent post.

Third. I would go a step further and say that Goree is going to like anyone that can get the ball to him on a regular basis. It doesn't matter what he personally thinks of him. 

And Goree would never say anything negative about a guy that has been named the #1 QB. Goree knows who is getting the most reps. He knows who is #1 in the coaches's mind, abd he isn't going to say one thing bad about the guy even if he thinks he sucks tremendously. 

And he shouldn't.

The continued naivety about how this process works never ceases to amaze.

Go back at look at player quotes about Mini Mac last year at this time. Same Cliches.

And I could give a crap about some stupid green up or down arrow. Did I mention how stupid that feature is?

12 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

I'm still thinking...I havent made up my mind.  it's hard.

On one hand you have UNT90...

The other hand you have a coach that looks like a straight shooter on the surface.  Doesn't seem to play games.  He could have easily let morris, goree, wilson, Rutherford and all the starters go out there and blast the scout team.  Could have had Shanbour go against the 1s to make his choice for morris look a lot more solid.

He also seem to be straight up with Greer and demarcus smith.  Could have easily had this open comp with smith and at minimum had smith as an insurance policy.  

He also seem to be straight up when he moved a solid starting corner that was once CUSA honorable mention, to WR.

But in this interview with Goree, he told Goree to go out there and give some coachspeak about Morris...it's possible.  Right now, I'm giving you the edge cause of our GMG connection i have known you longer.

No coach is a "straight shooter" with the media. 

You are naive.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 10

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And Goree would never say anything negative about a guy that has been named the #1 QB. Goree knows who is getting the most reps. He knows who is #1 in the coaches's mind, abd he isn't going to say one thing bad about the guy even if he thinks he sucks tremendously. 

And he shouldn't.

The continued naivety about how this process works never ceases to amaze.

Go back at look at player quotes about Mini Mac last year at this time. Same Cliches.

And I could give a crap about some stupid green up or down arrow. Did I mention how stupid that feature is?

Yeah, I know. But that doesn't stop you from trying out my experiment when no one is expecting it............just to prove your point.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here's a thought:

What if Littrell put Morris as the starter for the entirey of the summer/fall, makes SMU prepare for him, then BOOM. Out trots Quinn Shanbour and has a total yardage of 500(300 passing/200 rushing) with 5 TD's against the bronies and leads UNT to a 12-0 season with a National Title berth. Vito and Littrell have us all fooled

tumblr_ma3cq7LvNj1qg4blro1_1280.jpg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Third. I would go a step further and say that Goree is going to like anyone that can get the ball to him on a regular basis. It doesn't matter what he personally thinks of him. 

So based on this comment, that would be Morris...right?  Since Morris has been the one getting him the ball all Spring.

Can I put you down for Team Morris?

That's what this is coming down to for some...Team Morris...Team Shanbour...

I'm personally thinking about Team UNT90 and hating both of them aND everything.  Depending on how his t shirts look...

It seems to me that Morris was given every opportunity to earn the job because he had to be lured here. The others were here already so didn't need to be wooed. I doubt very seriously they would demote a 5th year senior grad transfer after 15 practices. Let's see how fall practice goes. I don't think there was any realistic way of Quinn becoming #1 on the depth chart this spring, regardless of how well he played or poorly Morris possibly could've played.

52 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

So based on this comment, that would be Morris...right?  Since Morris has been the one getting him the ball all Spring.

Can I put you down for Team Morris?

That's what this is coming down to for some...Team Morris...Team Shanbour...

I'm personally thinking about Team UNT90 and hating both of them aND everything.  Depending on how his t shirts look...

Both are unproven. I don't hate them, but I certainly don't trust them until they earn that trust. Anything else is just stupid off-season talk in the stupid off-season.

Just because someone disagrees with your point of view doesn't mean they hate you or that point of view, just that they think you are wrong.

Don't be such a millennial P. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Both are unproven. I don't hate them, but I certainly don't trust them until they earn that trust. Anything else is just stupid off-season talk in the stupid off-season.

Just because someone disagrees with your point of view doesn't mean they hate you or that point of view, just that they think you are wrong.

Don't be such a millennial P. 

HATE SPEECH. WHERE'S MY SAFE SPACE

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

So assuming they are good is stupid because we never seen them in action. Assuming wins is also stupid and premature.  Ok.  Cool.

So if we follow this logic that assuming is stupid, then since we never saw them play, assuming failure and losses would also be...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

So assuming they are good is stupid because we never seen them in action. Assuming wins is also stupid and premature.  Ok.  Cool.

So if we follow this logic that assuming is stupid, then since we never saw them play, assuming failure and losses would also be...

There are more than one player on a team. We saw how thin certain positions were, saw a weak recruiting class, and saw a 1-11 team last year.

We saw that Morris couldn't crack the 2 deep at Alabama and was beaten out by a freshman for 2nd team even though he was a senior. 

We saw that Shanbour left Ok St. because he couldn't advance up the depth chart. 

All that evidence points to the odds of either being a savior of a QB to be minute, while the odds of failure are much, much, much, much, much greater.

The odds of being a failure slightly outweigh the odds of being an average CUSA QB for both. 

And this isn't even considering the recent QB history at UNT. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

So Morris has the initials AM and he is wearing #5.

Ballsy. 

Maybe that's Littrell's plan - make the opposing teams think that it's still McNulty out there.

tumblr_ma3cq7LvNj1qg4blro1_1280.jpg

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

Shanborr (Spelling? Never typed that name before...) rises from afterthought to 2nd team in one spring under a new coaching staff and people act like he's being written off and ignored?  

Sounds about right.  

And people seem not to realize that Shanbour is now the favorite to be starting QB in 2017.

Vito shoulda got that. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On April 28, 2016 at 3:57 PM, MGNation92 said:

Calvin Minor at the Rover? Interesting. Hopefully Rutherford can put on some weight over the summer

This stood out to me.  I like it.  

On April 28, 2016 at 4:03 PM, ABrownGMG said:

No Turner Smiley at receiver?

That will more than likely change before fall.

On April 29, 2016 at 9:37 PM, UNT90 said:

No one fell in love with Shanbour, @Brett Vito. Stop being a teenage girl...

Agreed. 

On April 29, 2016 at 8:46 AM, MGNation92 said:

Defensive line is way too thin for my liking.

23 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

The best news of all is the switch to a three front defense.

It is difficult enough for big schools to find enough big bodies to run a 4-3 these days.  For a school like ours, it was virtually impossible to find enough big bodies even to stick in there to look the part.

Many small schools long ago went with three man fronts to become successful on defense.  I think mainly of the Utahs and TCUs, both former mid-majors who, due to the inability to recruit enough "big boys" on the D-line, turned to quirky defenses with three man fronts, with the chief weapons of their schemes being speed, fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and a near fanatical devotion to the Pope.

This was our thought.  Not a lot of faith in our big guys. I guess we will see.

21 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

As one of the first people to mention this young man on the board, I will say that "falling in love" is a very dismissive and insulting term. All I've ever said from the very beginning is that this young man appears to have very good ability when it comes to the "passing" portion of QB skills. After that I found out other things from other sources including the off season weight room work-out report which always had him listed very highly. When I was told (last spring) why he didn't actively compete (turf toe) his first year here (2014), but that he was over that in 2015, I assumed that this young man would finally get a shot at showing the coaching staff and everyone else what he could really do.  What's that old saying about "assuming"? Well, that old saying is alive and thriving, not only in the coaching business, but obviously in the reporting business as well.

This very hard working young man was (as someone else said) shoved to the bottom of the QB lineup, whilst such stunning QB candidates like Josh Greer and Andrew McNulty got endless amounts of reps in practice. As I diplomatically stated at the time, "I scratched my head over that one". Meanwhile this hard working young man was constantly given the job of training new QB candidates in the basics of QB mechanics. If I had been in his situation I would have said "sure thing, I'll be glad to do a big part of what YOU'RE GETTING PAID TO DO after you put me on scholarship".  

So here comes a new coaching staff and fresh eyes. The results are that Greer and Smith are gone, and Mr. Shanbour was installed as 2nd team QB......a position that he has yet to release. And one of the most disappointing things in all this to me has been how Shanbours name has only appeared in print just a few times. The rest of the time it was "Morris and the other candidates".  And when his name does appear in print it's always accompanied by dismissive terms like "undersized". This young man has worked too hard to be treated like this. I don't love him, but FWIW I do respect him.

THIS!!!!!!

AMEN. 

20 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

I'm still thinking...I havent made up my mind.  it's hard.

On one hand you have UNT90...

The other hand you have a coach that looks like a straight shooter on the surface.  Doesn't seem to play games.  He could have easily let morris, goree, wilson, Rutherford and all the starters go out there and blast the scout team.  Could have had Shanbour go against the 1s to make his choice for morris look a lot more solid.

He also seem to be straight up with Greer and demarcus smith.  Could have easily had this open comp with smith and at minimum had smith as an insurance policy.  

He also seem to be straight up when he moved a solid starting corner that was once CUSA honorable mention, to WR.

But in this interview with Goree, he told Goree to go out there and give some coachspeak about Morris...it's possible.  Right now, I'm giving you the edge cause of our GMG connection i have known you longer.

On Buyers-

you really don't know what you're talking about.  There's good reasons why he was moved. And.... He likes WR.

***The depth chart will see majorchangesbefore SMU.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, SSP said:

On Buyers-

you really don't know what you're talking about.  There's good reasons why he was moved. And.... He likes WR.

***The depth chart will see majorchangesbefore SMU.

You probably would know better than me, but I'm assuming he was moved because he's a zone corner and the new defensive philosophy will play a lot more man on the outside, has good hands and football smarts. Solid short area quickness as well. Makes sense to me.

How do the players like the new staff?

Hope to see your brother play more on defense in the fall. He looked good in the spring game

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

You probably would know better than me, but I'm assuming he was moved because he's a zone corner and the new defensive philosophy will play a lot more man on the outside, has good hands and football smarts. Solid short area quickness as well. Makes sense to me.

How do the players like the new staff?

Hope to see your brother play more on defense in the fall. He looked good in the spring game

Yes.  And probably not too smart to play DB with the injuries he suffered while at corner.  

And thank you.  We share that hope.  Very possible.  The coaches actually like him this year.  ?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Unless you are close, personal friends with Goree and he told you this info in a private conversation that you were not supposed to share, and have shared, it is coach speak.

You are naive if you believe anything else.

Unless you are close, personal friends with Goree and he told you conflicting info in a private conversation that you were not supposed to share, and have shared, it is pure speculation on your part. 

You are too full of yourself to believe otherwise.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I'll put my trust in the coaching staff, but man am I gonna miss seeing Buyers hit people.  

Must've missed all those brutal hits. I recall a lot of good form knee diving/ankle biting in 2013 though often in open space. I recall quite a bit of missed tackles in 2014 on his behalf. 

I'm glad he's moved to O. For his sake (health wise) and the team's sake. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2