MGB: Satellite camps are back on, why that's good for UNT

Brett Vito

So exactly how is it good for UNT that Kansas or Iowa State or Colorado can come down to DFW and run these camps and get in with the HS coaches and recruits? Because I don't see one damn thing good about it for us. We should already be talking to kids and HS coaches in East Texas, South Texas, and West Texas.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is not good for UNT.  

The ability to host the satellite camps where we're targeting is absolutely good for UNT.

The only thing not good for UNT is that other schools can come around and have a camp.  In that case, it's up to our coaches to out-recruit those other schools for these guys.  That's where Trice screaming about UNT becoming "the U" of DFW could use some stoking and trumping up by Littrell & co.

The guys LATech and UNT are after in DeSoto will have opportunities to attend each camp (unless LATech is dumb enough to have theirs on the same day/s as UNT).  It's up to our coaches to wow the players and sell them on their vision for UNT over Skip's vision for LATech.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I wonder if UNT even reschedules them this year.

2 hours ago, forevereagle said:

Yes.

If this were left up to the usual suspects I would have not been surprised to see an announcement in late June.

It looks like Seth and his boys aren't playing around. I'm surprised and happy to see that.

• Upvote 3

On 4/28/2016 at 4:19 AM, Harry said:

This is not good for UNT.  

Harry, as an outsider looking (but also a Texas resident) in I am going to respectfully disagree.  Texas football is bigger than DFW and there are more than enough good (3-5 star) football players all over Texas who could fit in with any of the many colleges in and around Texas. 

The city I call home, Kerrville Tivy is a UIL 5A school with a team that is nearly always a contender for the state championship.  It is heavily recruited by UT, TA&M and a host of other Texas colleges, but to my knowledge, UNT hasn't made their presence known in the area.  Maybe its time UNT stopped looking at just DFW, but started looking at the kids in the southern, eastern and western part of the state too.

Right now UNT and Seth Littrell needs to do what Bruce Barnum is doing at Portland State, build a culture and a program. Barnum was quoted as saying "once you build it, a program will run itself."   In the Big Sky, Montana is the perfect example of that.   They have managed to build football culture and program that is so strong, it doesn't matter who the coach is or what their record the previous season was, the program keeps going and going (think of an Energizer Grizzly Bear), if you want to play football in the NW, Montana is the school you want to play.

The best way in Texas to do that is hold these satellite camps, in and around the hitherlands of Texas, identify these young kids that may otherwise be unknown because they don't have the big city media fawning all over them.  If UNT can get (steal) these kids and build a winning program around them, The kids from DFW will begin to notice UNT is suddenly a winner and say to themselves  "Hey, Why not North Texas?."

Edited by caseyorourke
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The ability to host the satellite camps where we're targeting is absolutely good for UNT.

The only thing not good for UNT is that other schools can come around and have a camp.  In that case, it's up to our coaches to out-recruit those other schools for these guys.  That's where Trice screaming about UNT becoming "the U" of DFW could use some stoking and trumping up by Littrell & co.

The guys LATech and UNT are after in DeSoto will have opportunities to attend each camp (unless LATech is dumb enough to have theirs on the same day/s as UNT).  It's up to our coaches to wow the players and sell them on their vision for UNT over Skip's vision for LATech.

You know, as I read this post, it really made sense to me...but for this to happen, Littrell and company will have to do what nobody before him has been able to do with any consistency in 21 years as a FBS program. Dickey got some talent here in that one class and Dodge got some offensive skill talent because of his HS reputation, but overall, La Tech has run circles around us for a long time.

Not saying Littrell can't do it, but he's got his work cut out for him.

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

You know, as I read this post, it really made sense to me...but for this to happen, Littrell and company will have to do what nobody before him has been able to do with any consistency in 21 years as a FBS program. Dickey got some talent here in that one class and Dodge got some offensive skill talent because of his HS reputation, but overall, La Tech has run circles around us for a long time.

Not saying Littrell can't do it, but he's got his work cut out for him.

I agree.   There is a stigma about North Texas football.  It has lingered for a long long time.  If we don't hold out hope that one day it will get busted, then what are we doing here?

Littrell is the youthful guy who has enough bravado to look at the way things are, ask "why?" (not "why not North Texas", then not do anything different), and find ways to change things.  We're seeing it already with how active these guys are on social media.   We just have to hope he can do it, regardless of challenges with leadership above him, and challenges with the roster below him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1