Idaho dropping down to FCS

Harry

56 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

If Eastern Michigan joins them do we take over the number 125 ranking or do we have to stay at 127?

Somehow RV's crack marketing team will put positive spin on this and say we have moved up in the rankings because of our Spring game/scrimmage.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

It's funny, I can actually remember back in the early days of my internets when Idaho was the "big" program and Boise was considered a "juco".  Amazing how much has changed since then. 

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Don't think this can't happen here...

These two quote had to be put together.  There are far too many fans here in denial.  I don't think it is likely in the short term but if you would bet something substantial that Seth's successor won't be the last coach to lead a UNT team playing in the FBS level (or the same level on with Big 12 big boys after some division reorganization) you are a fool.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

10 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

UMass, Idaho, Eastern Michigan...This mini-movement seems to be faulty/student driven. Could this be a new realignment trend from the (so called) bottom? 

This is a conference based decision, not something faculty/student driven.   They simply can't afford to buy enough homes games like ND and BYU can, and they don't have the service academy cache to sell to alumni like Army can.

Without revenue sharing and conference scheduling they would starve to death in FBS.  

Very sad day for their alumni.  

• Upvote 3

@Mike Jackson

in·san·i·ty
inˈsanədē/
noun
noun: insanity
  1. the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.
    "he suffered from bouts of insanity"
    synonyms: mental illness, madnessdementiaMore

• extreme foolishness or irrationality.
      plural noun: insanities
      "it might be pure insanity to take this loan"
      synonyms: follyfoolishnessmadnessidiocystupiditylunacy, silliness;
      informalcraziness
      "it would be insanity to take this loan"
  • Upvote 5

I feel bad for the Idaho fans out there. I think they are simply a victim of location and population in this new age of FBS football. They are just too far from their only possible FBS option (the Sunbelt), and they haven't generated enough support while playing second fiddle to Boise State for the past decade. I see an ESPN "30 for 30" coming.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

They had their fair share of fans who wanted this for a while. I think it'll end up being good for them.

This guy gets it.  It was interesting to see North Dakota Fans in Dallas having a good time before their team played for the FCS national championship in Frisco.  We may see Idaho fans back in this area sometime in the future, but that's some highly competitive football where they'll be playing.

• Upvote 2

New Mexico State should drop down as well. 

I applaud these schools for facing the music.  The NCAA and bigger schools, really, upped the ante by marrying into television marketing.  The bigger schools took advantage of it; others were slow to catch on.

Some, like Baylor, got lucky by being able to freeload off the Big 12 for a decade before finally finding the right coach...who was willing to recruit the criminal element necessary to keep up with OU and Texas.  Boise State caught lightning in a bottle by beating Oklahoma 10 years ago. But, that was long ago and never got them an invite to hang with the cool crowd schools.

TCU fought like hell on and off the field to get an Big Boy invite.  Gotta admire that.  They are the true outlier from the beginning of the shake up that began in 1995/96. 

Idaho, New Mexico State, Eastern Michigan...at some point, you have to look around and ask yourself whether the millions of dollars the school is kicking in to keep the football program afloat at FBS-level is worth it.  It really hasn't been for these schools. 

Keep the money for academics and quit tilting at the football windmills. No shame in having a competitive FCS program.  One will have its QB drafted in the first round this year. 

Can't blame them for the drop down.  If they win more games, it'll be better for their fan bases. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Idaho had no choice. And their FCS Big Sky affiliation is a solid one, with other regional rivals they have known for decades, which will help them with attendance and fan travel. They are actually in better shape doing this than NMSU will be, with no FCS teams anywhere near them. NMSU might be better off just dropping football if they cannot get into a FBS league, which only happens as a remote chance if UTEP leaves to go to the MWC and CUSA decided to replace them with NMSU, which seems doubtful.

I will say this--I think the Big Sky, SLC, and a few other FCS leagues will see themselves joining the MAC, SBC, and CUSA in the years ahead when the next pruning of FBS occurs in the next 10 years. You'll see the Power 4 (no more Big XII) plus the AAC and MWC considered as FBS, with the Power 4 getting the playoff, but keeping the next level of schools still having a possibility of joining into the Big Bowls or even a playoff spot (highly, highly doubtful, though). That way, Boise, Fresno, UH, Cincy, and any Big XII castoff will still be sold that they can still play OOC games against the power schools and can have a chance at earning a place within the playoff system.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1