Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

Why UNT should pick Shanbour: 9 quick thoughts


MGNation92
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

1. Release - Shanbour has a lightning quick release that is unrivaled by any QB on the roster. In an offense predicated on  timing, a fast release is probably more important than anything else.

2. Mobility - Shanbour is also quicker/faster than any QB on the roster. With a shoddy o-line at best, escapability becomes all the more important.

3. Intelligence - as noted by many on the board, Shanbour is probably the smartest QB of the bunch and has consistently shown academic prowess both in the classroom and film room. This intelligence also allows him to make better reads and audibles at the line.

4. Continuity - Shanbour has 2 years of eligibility left, meaning he can take the reigns this season and continue building through next season giving us an entrenched starter for 2 important early years of Littrell's tenure.

5. System QB - Shanbour has played in the spread his entire career on high school and at OK State before transferring to the Metamucil McCarney offense, where he was quickly shoved to the side for Andrew "Red Rocket" McNulty by a senile old man.

6. The read option/spread option - this kind of ties in to the mobility. Having a QB that can effectively run a read option attack can open up many more possibilities in the passing game (see 2015 Matt Davis) and makes more defenders account for the QB rather than focus on other players.

7. Arm strength - not only does he possess the quickest release of the QB group. He also has a strong arm. Strong enough to make every throw on the field.

8. Walk-on - see every successful walk-on at any school ever. His lack of recruitment gives him stronger desire and will to succeed. He has been pushed aside his entire career for subpar competition and continues to work hard and improve to silence the doubters (he's never been handed anything)

9. Moxie - call it guts, testicular fortitude, whatever term you may wish. That laser throw straight down the seam to a blanketed TE for a touchdown as well as his willingness to run for tough yards when it's needed prove this kid has balls of steel. I'd rather that kid lead me into battle every day. Not some kid from Allen who got crowned prematurely by the AD

Suck it Vito

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Tin-foil-hats-Signs.jpg

You base this on how many of the 15 practices you have been to? It is great to have a qb controversy on who looks the best instead of who sucks the least! Love it! GMG

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah might've been a bit of a stretch, but he still has a decent arm. I don't think you have to have a cannon to be successful in this offense

You don't.  Harrell was one of the most successful Air Raid QB's ever and I would not consider his arm strong.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You don't.  Harrell was one of the most successful Air Raid QB's ever and I would not consider his arm strong.

Harrell could not run to save his life.  I was at the Cotton Bowl when Tech played Ole Miss.  Harrell took off running on a play from his own 45, the entire Ole Miss defense had gone to the concession stand(we all know how long that takes), came back on the field and caught Harrell on the 10 yd line.  It literally took Harrell about 15 seconds to run from his 45 to the 10......the whole crowd was cheering him on, even the Ole Miss crowd....it was great.  So, you don't have to be a speed demon to be successful in this offense.  With that said....whoever gives us the best shot at winning....

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

No not related in any way shape or form. I've posted about many other things on this board, Shanbour being the most recent topic of discussion. I think the staff and media crowned Morris early. Everyone assumed he was the guy and will be the guy. I'm not so convinced. I just think Shanbour is a better fit. If you would like I can talk about how inept RV is and how much of a failure North Texas athletics has been for the past 15 years.

Just trying to have engaging offseason conversation

how about talk of UNT domination for the next 15-20 years......that's a good topic!!!!

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

No not related in any way shape or form. I've posted about many other things on this board, Shanbour being the most recent topic of discussion. I think the staff and media crowned Morris early. Everyone assumed he was the guy and will be the guy. I'm not so convinced. I just think Shanbour is a better fit. If you would like I can talk about how inept RV is and how much of a failure North Texas athletics has been for the past 15 years.

Just trying to have engaging offseason conversation

tumblr_m327h90USQ1qdlfp4o1_500.gif

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I think the staff and media crowned Morris early. Everyone assumed he was the guy and will be the guy. I'm not so convinced. 

This is totally true. I remember reading posts like it was a "foregone conclusion" that Morris would be the starter before any sort of competition. Or that "If Morris gets injured, we are in a world of hurt," talking about hand delivering the starting job. While Vito was painting the picture of a 1 QB team, it appears the coaches were seeing something different which is why they were so willing to depart with Demarcus and gave Shanbour almost as many reps in the Spring Game as Morris. Evidently, Shanbour was showing something in practice to garner those reps in the Spring Game which he made the most of what was given him. You don't get that many reps in the Spring Game unless you have shown something in practice especially as a walk-on. Let all of our QBs and other players compete equally without any unearned promotion (favoritism) which is what we had with the last coaching staff. I like that this staff seems to be giving every player a chance to compete. At least we will know our best players are on the field unlike last year.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You don't.  Harrell was one of the most successful Air Raid QB's ever and I would not consider his arm strong.

Wonder what the Packers thought about his arm strengh? To throw an out from the opposite hash requires arm strength!

15 minutes ago, NeonGreen said:

This is totally true. I remember reading posts like it was a "foregone conclusion" that Morris would be the starter before any sort of competition. Or that "If Morris gets injured, we are in a world of hurt," talking about hand delivering the starting job. While Vito was painting the picture of a 1 QB team, it appears the coaches were seeing something different which is why they were so willing to depart with Demarcus and gave Shanbour almost as many reps in the Spring Game as Morris. Evidently, Shanbour was showing something in practice to garner those reps in the Spring Game which he made the most of what was given him. You don't get that many reps in the Spring Game unless you have shown something in practice especially as a walk-on. Let all of our QBs and other players compete equally without any unearned promotion (favoritism) which is what we had with the last coaching staff. I like that this staff seems to be giving every player a chance to compete. At least we will know our best players are on the field unlike last year.

Is there a Seth quote? Don't remember!! Not sure but I don't think he has named a starter. Yep he has not!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Wonder what the Packers thought about his arm strengh? To throw an out from the opposite hash requires arm strength!

Is there a Seth quote? Don't remember!! Not sure but I don't think he has named a starter. Yep he has not!

Read my post. I never said he did name a starter nor did I allude to that fact. I only said that he is letting them compete. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

1. Release - Shanbour has a lightning quick release that is unrivaled by any QB on the roster. In an offense predicated on  timing, a fast release is probably more important than anything else.

2. Mobility - Shanbour is also quicker/faster than any QB on the roster. With a shoddy o-line at best, escapability becomes all the more important.

3. Intelligence - as noted by many on the board, Shanbour is probably the smartest QB of the bunch and has consistently shown academic prowess both in the classroom and film room. This intelligence also allows him to make better reads and audibles at the line.

4. Continuity - Shanbour has 2 years of eligibility left, meaning he can take the reigns this season and continue building through next season giving us an entrenched starter for 2 important early years of Littrell's tenure.

5. System QB - Shanbour has played in the spread his entire career on high school and at OK State before transferring to the Metamucil McCarney offense, where he was quickly shoved to the side for Andrew "Red Rocket" McNulty by a senile old man.

6. The read option/spread option - this kind of ties in to the mobility. Having a QB that can effectively run a read option attack can open up many more possibilities in the passing game (see 2015 Matt Davis) and makes more defenders account for the QB rather than focus on other players.

7. Arm strength - not only does he possess the quickest release of the QB group. He also has a strong arm. Strong enough to make every throw on the field.

8. Walk-on - see every successful walk-on at any school ever. His lack of recruitment gives him stronger desire and will to succeed. He has been pushed aside his entire career for subpar competition and continues to work hard and improve to silence the doubters (he's never been handed anything)

9. Moxie - call it guts, testicular fortitude, whatever term you may wish. That laser throw straight down the seam to a blanketed TE for a touchdown as well as his willingness to run for tough yards when it's needed prove this kid has balls of steel. I'd rather that kid lead me into battle every day. Not some kid from Allen who got crowned prematurely by the AD

Suck it Vito

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Tin-foil-hats-Signs.jpg

"Balls of steel" to run for a first down when there is ZERO chance of taking a hit?

Ok

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Geez, if all that was true.  There would be no doubt he should start.   Problem, is apparently the coaches have another view. 

How about Jordan Murray for starting QB.   

1. No problem with sight line

2.  Can take a hit

3.  Fastest player on team 6'9 or over.

4.  Can definitely lead block

5.  Great arm, longest on team

6. Almost impossible to bring down

7. Will shock teams game planning for Fine

8.  Natural leader, easy to find in a crowd

9.  Quarterback sneak terror

10.  Total lack of QB experience will miraculously work 

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.