MGB: Why should UNT pick Morris? Here are 9 quick points

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Let's see who Morris sat behind for 4 years.  AJ McCarron - currently playing in the NFL, Simms who broke all of Bama passing records, Coker, who lead Bama to NC....not a bus driver....see his stats.  That is a pretty impressive group to sit behind.  On that level, just because you are not a starter doesn't/t mean as much as you are stressing.

talk about not know what your talking about.  McCarron, Simms, Coker....not bus drivers

And if any of those players had transferred here, I'd be excited. They didn't. A 3rd team senior who got beat out by a true (?) freshman did. 

And if you think Bama is pass happy, you must be living in Colorado, pal. They are a run first offense that sucks the safeties up in the box. So kudos to those guys for being able to be  productive in that system.

This isn't Alabama, this isn't that system with those non-QB players, and this damn sure isn't any one of those QBs. 

You mofos got the spring fever and have lost all of your ever loving marbles.

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Ha!  I was just thinking, when will the UNT 17 make their decision on UNTs starting QB for 2016?

You laugh, but that's exactly what happened last year...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Vito you have been against Shanbour since he set foot on campus.  Why don't you just admit it. You painted a picture to us of a talentless undersized walk-on giving us the impression that he was on the level of a water boy. It wasn't until I saw with my own eyes how much malarkey we were fed. Posters like Silver Eagle was the one who was giving a more accurate picture of this kid. What I saw was a darn good stout athlete with a helluva arm, nothing what you painted it to be. Whether Shanbour pans out remains to be seen. But the kid was nothing like you made it seem to be. I felt very deceived quite honestly. And now you write an article with statistics pertaining to other teams and players to cover your ineptness. None of those players you mentioned had Morris or Shanbour on their jerseys so your whole article is irrelevant. None of us know whether Morris or Shanbour will be hits or busts. I hope both of them are hits or even one of them for the sake of the team. In the meantime, eat your crow and give it a rest. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

Fourth-string QB at Alabama > anything UNT has had pretty much ever

Vito...quit trolling. You know that comment is absolutely inaccurate. We had DEREK THOMPSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, not true. 4th string is 4th string for a reason. Even at bama. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Meh, Vito looking to generate hits and convo in the off-season. I get it. Not knowing the history of UNT QBs was pretty evident, but I don't blame the guy. If I'm forced to cover one of the worst programs in college football year in and year out and I had no ties to that school, I damn sure wouldn't care about their QB history, either. 

I ain't mad at you, Vito.

Too bad Vito didn't get to see Scott Davis play. He missed a real treat. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, NeonGreen said:

Vito you have been against Shanbour since he set foot on campus.  Why don't you just admit it. You painted a picture to us of a talentless undersized walk-on giving us the impression that he was on the level of a water boy. It wasn't until I saw with my own eyes how much malarkey we were fed. Posters like Silver Eagle was the one who was giving a more accurate picture of this kid. What I saw was a darn good stout athlete with a helluva arm, nothing what you painted it to be. Whether Shanbour pans out remains to be seen. But the kid was nothing like you made it seem to be. I felt very deceived quite honestly. And now you write an article with statistics pertaining to other teams and players to cover your ineptness. None of those players you mentioned had Morris or Shanbour on their jerseys so your whole article is irrelevant. None of us know whether Morris or Shanbour will be hits or busts. I hope both of them are hits or even one of them for the sake of the team. In the meantime, eat your crow and give it a rest. 

But don't forget, " He doesn’t hesitate to pull the ball down and run. He tries that in a real game in the fall — if UNT had to play him — he will get snapped in half at his size." What's the point in getting the poor little guy snapped in half.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Brandon Weeden was a pro baseball player who had scholarship offers before going to play baseball, and came back to OKie St under a scholarship set-up by MLB in is contract to play.  Colt was basically kicked off Colorado St if I recall because of trouble, and landed in Hawaii....not really walk-on types....

Brennan was a walk-on at Colorado before being kicked out. He then became a walk-on at Hawaii. Baker Mayfield had scholarship offers too so if Vito is going to point to Baker, you have to include Weeden.

4 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

click, click, boom 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The UT coaching staff told Riley that they were going to start him out at QB.  Maybe they were lying; maybe that was just their plan to lure him in so they could play him somewhere else.  

That's the first I've heard and read this anywhere.  It was always my understanding that he was recruited as an ATH, not a QB.

• Upvote 6

9. UNT has to recruit the DFW area

UNT’s best hope to land top players from DFW likely isn’t by signing them out of high school. History shows that.

--Nothing screams low aspirations like this.  Please P5 can we have your cast-offs, outcast, academically challenged, and other underachieving misfits?  Not saying that Alec Morris fits one of those descriptions but DFW P5 retreads being a major component of how you build a Mean Green team inspires me to burn my money rather than attend a game.  We aren't trying to win recruiting battles with TCU, Texas, TAMU, Baylor and Oklahoma in 2017 but we sure as hell should be getting the best of DFW recruits that end up signing with G5 level programs.  The staff better be out recruiting UTSA, La Tech, Texas State, Rice and UTEP when it comes to DFW area recruits.  And maybe by 2022 UNT should win an occasional recruiting battle with our regional P5 competition. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

That's the first I've heard and read this anywhere.  It was always my understanding that he was recruited as an ATH, not a QB.

It's been discussed, quoted, and linked a few times here.  He was recruited as an athlete.  But, according to Riley, they told him they were going to try him at QB first to see how that worked before they considered moving him to another position.  He was, of course, the only QB in their 2008 class, and when he decommitted it left the class without a QB.

• Upvote 1

Give Brett Vito a break on the QB stuff. If you had to cover teams that were coached by Darrell Dickey, Todd Dodge, and Dan McCarney day in and day out, you'd come to believe that the QB position at North Texas was about as inconsequential as a typewriter at the DRC.

Yes, he has seen a few games where the QB play has been very good, but he has seen 10x those games where the UNT QB looked worse than what Ryan HS or Guyer HS roll out on Friday nights, particularly anyone not named Scott Hall or Derek Thompson that played QB under Dickey or Mac. Those days of having the busdriver du jour must have been painful to watch as a beat writer, covering it everyday. Because its been absolutely brutal to watch as a fan who sees it every week in the fall...

Watching Josh Greer or Andrew McNulty play QB was like watching a child trying to learn how to ride a brand new bike...but not ever being able to figure it out. You'd just as soon have seen the brand new bike being used by someone who knew what they were doing, as opposed to watching the crashes happen over and over, knowing full well it was just getting worse and worse for the bike and for your investment in that purchase. Now imagine having to report on that experience for years, with nothing ever getting better for any real amount of time beyond a game or two...that would drive anyone crazy!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Well streaky or not, it's obvious the coaches think Morris is currently better than Shanbour. If they didn't, Shanbour would have gotten more reps with the first team on Saturday.

I remember that, Greer and McNulty were the practice time heroes while our current backup who appears to be way better than anyone imagined, was assuming the job of student quarterback coach. "Yea, I know our starting quarterbacks suck when the lights come on but you should see them in practice. Iowa, National Championship Ring. Bobby Stoops. Iowa. Barry Alvarez. Iowa."

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, untcampbell said:

This thread wreaks of the crumpled $100 bill. 

GMG

This is UNT. It's more like the crumpled $1 dollar bill. 

On a positive note, glad to see UNT bringing in another grad QB that actually played more than a few downs against FCS competition. Hopefully they land that kid from Boise St. Glad to see Littrell continue to provide competition at a need position.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Austin Davis at Southern Miss threw for over 10,000 yards and led them to a CUSA championship as a former walkon not long ago. But I generally agree with Vito on Shanbour.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/austin-davis-1.html

43 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I remember that, Greer and McNulty were the practice time heroes while our current backup who appears to be way better than anyone imagined, was assuming the job of student quarterback coach. "Yea, I know our starting quarterbacks suck when the lights come on but you should see them in practice. Iowa, National Championship Ring. Bobby Stoops. Iowa. Barry Alvarez. Iowa."

I don't even think they were that good in practice. A poster on this board said the last fall scrimmage in 2014 before we played Texas featured one complete downfield pass combined between Greer and Mcnulty, and it was by Greer. They weren't exactly lighting it up in practice either.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It's been discussed, quoted, and linked a few times here.  He was recruited as an athlete.  But, according to Riley, they told him they were going to try him at QB first to see how that worked before they considered moving him to another position.  He was, of course, the only QB in their 2008 class, and when he decommitted it left the class without a QB.

And they have never recovered. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gangrene said:

Did I miss something?  Why is this even a discussion?  Morris is our starter unless the line can't protect him and he gets injured. 

So you missed the Spring game??? It's a perfectly reasonable discussion to be having.

Hell, at least it's a football related topic. Plenty of time to kill between now and SMU.

• Upvote 3