An honest question for the Vito anti-Shanbour folks

Cr1028

UNT is very desperate at QB. No knock on Fine, but it's the reason he even received a D1 offer. If my memory serves me correctly, he's not even on an athletic scholarship here. Beggars can't be choosers. If Shanbur is the best of the bunch you have to play him. 

48 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

UNT is very desperate at QB. No knock on Fine, but it's the reason he even received a D1 offer. If my memory serves me correctly, he's not even on an athletic scholarship here. Beggars can't be choosers. If Shanbur is the best of the bunch you have to play him. 

Fine is on a full football scholarship. UNT was his only FBS offer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Or an OLine that can keep said QBs healthy...

I mean......anyone that has an ounce of football interest knows all about tcu and the job Patterson has done there.  The two words most important to Patterdon is SPEED and DEFENSE.  They've maintained this speed and defense first philosophy since the beginning and has done it so well it once cause Fisher Deberry to lose his mind and complain about it at an Air Force press conference.

You recruit the fastest son of a bitch you can.  If he's a little dude you put him in the secondary.  If he's a medium sized dude with the potential to put on more size he's a linebacker.  If he's an overly sized linebacker with some quickness with the potential to add more size he becomes a D linemen.  Now you got 11 track stars covering the field and you shut down the run. Period!

Then you worry about the offense.  It'll be a struggle.  But the good news is,..there's tens of thousands of kids that play on that side of the ball.  And the fact that since the other team can't run on your 11 track stars you'll have ample time to work it out.  Eventually you'll find success...mostly because so many of your opponents have been so eat up with this kind of bullshit fancy offense and that kind that they'll have forgotten the most important thing..stopping the run and keeping the opponent from scoring points. 

Rick 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I mean......anyone that has an ounce of football interest knows all about tcu and the job Patterson has done there.  The two words most important to Patterdon is SPEED and DEFENSE.  They've maintained this speed and defense first philosophy since the beginning and has done it so well it once cause Fisher Deberry to lose his mind and complain about it at an Air Force press conference.

You recruit the fastest son of a bitch you can.  If he's a little dude you put him in the secondary.  If he's a medium sized dude with the potential to put on more size he's a linebacker.  If he's an overly sized linebacker with some quickness with the potential to add more size he becomes a D linemen.  Now you got 11 track stars covering the field and you shut down the run. Period!

Then you worry about the offense.  It'll be a struggle.  But the good news is,..there's tens of thousands of kids that play on that side of the ball.  And the fact that since the other team can't run on your 11 track stars you'll have ample time to work it out.  Eventually you'll find success...mostly because so many of your opponents have been so eat up with this kind of bullshit fancy offense and that kind that they'll have forgotten the most important thing..stopping the run and keeping the opponent from scoring points. 

Rick 

Absolutely. I look at TCU and I look at how completely different they recruit. Patterson sees RBs in a small East Texas HS and can see them becoming an All-American Defensive Lineman. They recruit for defense first, unlike every other program in the state. But that just speaks of Gary Patterson's greatness and TCU's commitment to excellence beyond just having a lot of cash.

As for offense, this spread stuff is what the kids and the majority of HS coaches like in Texas, which is why every offense in FBS in Texas runs some form of it. But if you don't have a decent line, as we saw with Dodge, the QBs can get the $hit beat out them and the offense tends to bog down in the red zone because the offense cannot run under the center very effectively (or at all).

I'll always believe in building your lines up first, then setting up an offense that maximizes your talent. I'm not a big fan of setting up an offense and then finding pieces to try and fit into it as your top priority, but that may have more to do with the shellackings that we endured in the Dodge years, too. Its why McCarney crashing so hard was so disappointing. I actually thought his specialty of developing linemen would be huge here, especially on defense. But not only did he fail on recruiting, he even failed worse at developing solid line play on both sides of the ball in his last two years here. Add that to the QB situation he chose to stick with and it equaled pure suckage. And now, we start completely over, in a gigantic hole, with a brand new coach running an offense that we watched in 2007-2010 and allowed us to see a grand total of 8 wins and 40 losses.

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2016 at 8:40 AM, Cr1028 said:

I get that some of you like a big body for a quarterback, so did McCarney and we know how that worked out. My question to you is if Shanbour is too small to ever be anything better than a backup, then why in the wide, wide, world of sports would you give Mason Fine a scholarship to play quarterback when the thickest he'll ever hope to get is Shanbour's size?

EditingAndLayout true truth agree yes

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

And now, we start completely over, in a gigantic hole, with a brand new coach running an offense that we watched in 2007-2010 and allowed us to see a grand total of 8 wins and 40 losses.

Todd Dodge spread =/= Seth Littrell Air Raid.

Both are technically spread offenses but the philosophies are very much different

16 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Todd Dodge spread =/= Seth Littrell Air Raid.

Both are technically spread offenses but the philosophies are very much different

I hope you're right...and I do think Littrell's gotta better pedigree than Dodge had, and that isn't even talking about he chasm in experience that his staff has over Dodge's coaching staff in his first few years. But those scars are still fresh, man...

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

I hope you're right...and I do think Littrell's gotta better pedigree than Dodge had, and that isn't even talking about he chasm in experience that his staff has over Dodge's coaching staff in his first few years. But those scars are still fresh, man...

Plus having arguably one of the greatest college QB's of all time to assist you in molding the offense can't hurt. Every member of the offense has coached/played in highly successful offenses on the college level. Couple that with defensive coaches that have been successful on the college level make the ceiling of this staff infinitely higher than dodge and his staff.

Littrell was a great hire in his own right(IMHO). Once I saw the staff he assembled I'm near convinced they can be extremely successful at North Texas

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick 

But notice he said you get speed first, then add weight.  Said nothing about size, weight, and fatness like some have hammered on here as a topic.  

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick 

Yes, because when I think of great defenses I think of the (not so) Big 12...

• Upvote 1