Fac & Students Call for Eastern Michigan to drop Div I Football

Greenrex

12 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I suspect dropping down to FCS would put a major dent in the academic plans for the university as well. There are few schools with "minor" sports programs that are elite academic programs. We're nowhere near an elite academic school and so dropping the football program to a lower level will hurt the school's overall image and reputation.

I think you would be shocked about how many people who even passively follow college football outside the state of Texas don't know that UNT plays Div 1 FBS Football.

Many of the better FCS level programs have stadiums just as nice as Apogee.

12 hours ago, akriesman said:

We have a stadium and facilities that have been invested in heavily.    I think we already have too much invested to drop down  any time in the near future.     Thank God that we already have the stadium.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

6 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think you would be shocked about how many people who even passively follow college football outside the state of Texas don't know that UNT plays Div 1 FBS Football.

Many of the better FCS programs are FAR more recognized than UNT...

• Downvote 6

This has also come up on the FCS boards.  Somebody posted this open letter from EMU's website signed by EMU's Interim President, President Elect and its Board of Regents, saying basically they are not dropping football, not dropping down to the FCS and that they will be remaining in the MAC.

We want to collectively reiterate that any notion, suggestion, or headline that in any way suggests Eastern is considering eliminating football or moving into another conference or division, is absolutely false. We will remain proud members of the Mid-American Conference football family for a long, long time.

Sincerely,

Interim President Donald Loppnow
President-Elect James Smith
Mike Morris, Chair, EMU Board of Regents
Mary Treder Lang, Vice Chair, EMU Board of Regents
Michael Hawks, Chair, Athletic Affairs Committee, EMU Board of Regents
Dennis Beagen, EMU Board of Regents
Michelle Crumm, EMU Board of Regents
Beth Fitzsimmons, EMU Board of Regents
James Stapleton, EMU Board of Regents
James Webb, EMU Board of Regent

Open Letter to the EMU Campus Community, Alumni, Friends and Supporters

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, caseyorourke said:

This has also come up on the FCS boards.  Somebody posted this open letter from EMU's website signed by EMU's Interim President, President Elect and its Board of Regents, saying basically they are not dropping football, not dropping down to the FCS and that they will be remaining in the MAC.

Open Letter to the EMU Campus Community, Alumni, Friends and Supporters

comical-ali.jpg

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Yes, I have. I'm sure you would love that. It seems to be the UNT mantra is "Embrace the suck or GTFO," by both long time fans and the administration.

oh, and quite obviously, the big money donors who care more about a man than they do winning.

I was just curious since you mentioned your niece taking her diploma and running like so many others.  I would think a good alum would encourage her to stay and fight for improvement, but it appears you have some give up in you.  Thought you might ride off with her.  I think UT shirts are on sale at Wal Mart.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I was just curious since you mentioned your niece taking her diploma and running like so many others.  I would think a good alum would encourage her to stay and fight for improvement, but it appears you have some give up in you.  Thought you might ride off with her.  I think UT shirts are on sale at Wal Mart.

Oh, you want me to leave so you can go back to talking all spring about how great UNT football will be that fall, and then when it's not simply throw up your arms and say "oh well," accepting the suck over and over and over like you always have.

Like so many others, her first college wasn't UNT, and UNT did nothing to connect with her once she got there. I see her going to a football game at her first university way before ever attending a game at UNT because they play "real football." Really can't argue that point with her. She isn't a sports fan, but like every kid her age likes a good social scene. And tailgating wasn't enough to lure her out.

Go place your head back firmly in that West Texas sand and pretend everything will get better: losing year after losing year after losing year. Meanwhile, that sound you don't hear is a full Apogee stadium on game day because recent alums and their potential earnings are busy leaving and never returning.

But RV is a real swell guy, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

11 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I would like to see which ones do....do you have a link to those with better facilities?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Oh, you want me to leave so you can go back to talking all spring about how great UNT football will be that fall, and then when it's not simply throw up your arms and say "oh well," accepting the suck over and over and over like you always have.

Like so many others, her first college wasn't UNT, and UNT did nothing to connect with her once she got there. I see her going to a football game at her first university way before ever attending a game at UNT because they play "real football." Really can't argue that point with her. She isn't a sports fan, but like every kid her age likes a good social scene. And tailgating wasn't enough to lure her out.

Go place your head back firmly in that West Texas sand and pretend everything will get better: losing year after losing year after losing year. Meanwhile, that sound you don't hear is a full Apogee stadium on game day because recent alums and their potential earnings are busy leaving and never returning.

But RV is a real swell guy, right?

Please show me one recent post where I have said how great we will be this fall.  Just one.  While you are at it, please show me one where I accept us losing? Again,  just one.  While you are at it, show me a recent one were I have stated that it isn't time for RV to go.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

You could have made that claim about Fouts.  But there is no way there is any FCS stadium close to Apogee.

Take a look at what are considered the best FCS stadiums today:

Apogee is miles ahead of them.

App St. resides in the Sun Belt... FBS.

Otherwise, I agree.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

App St. resides in the Sun Belt... FBS.

Otherwise, I agree.

I know, but it was long considered one of the very best stadiums in 1AA/FCS.  Now they have even made the jump up and it still pales compared to Apogee.   Don't forget capacity is still only  21,650.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking, and I can't find FCS stadiums better than Apogee.

2014 list of best FCS stadiums.

I mean, I know this is the anthem for many around here lately:

But Apogee in and of itself is not the correct of your ire.  Take aim at scheduling, impossibility of purchasing tickets, yellow jacket seating nazis in crowds of 15 people.  But the stadium itself is top notch.  When I go to a road game (Including Ford down SMU way), I look at the stadium and truly think to myself, "This isn't nearly as nice as Apogee."

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Who? 

And now UMass faculty leaders are calling for the school to drop out of FBS. Unlike Eastern Michigan's drop down which would theoretically propel  us to a no.126 ranking, Umass's move wouldn't help our 127th ranking one little bit.

http://footballscoop.com/news/and-now-umass-faculty-leaders-are-calling-for-the-school-to-drop-out-of-fbs/

I stand by my statement "nice as" but not better as UNT90 commented.  http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/12-29-2015/1303/2015-fcs-college-football-stadium-experience-rankings/   I think is a very subjective thing anyway.  Any of these top 5 to me and comparable to Apogee.  If you are talking about luxury suites, sure Apogee has an advantage.  But for the rank and file Alum/Fan who will never see those space even if we start averaging 27,000+ per home game than means nothing.  Furthermore the "premium luxury" in the upper levels is a money loser if you don't have a premium product on the field.

• Downvote 8