Defense...what if...

GOMG2013

They are really that good.  Maybe, just maybe we have a good defense.  Seems like some fans wanted to see morris and the 1st team go out and light up some backups.  And if out 1st team would have lined up against that 2nd and 3rd team, they would have destroyed them.  

Same for our 1st team defense.  They would have shut down that 2nd team offense.

We have been hearing most of the spring the defense is ahead of the offense.  They have a lot of players with experience, and they also needed an upgrade in system and coaching.  

What are some expecting from the defense against SMU?  Defense didn't look bad against them last year, and we had a lame scheme and young players.  SMU isn't a smash mouth running team at all.  Based on what we have seen, I think we can give the SMU offense lots of trouble.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eagleisland said:

Even if they are, depth will be a big problem. We need no injuries and we need English to 

be approved by the NCAA.

What kind of depth did our 2013 team have on defense?  I agree we can't afford any injuries, but in 2013, mac rarely let backups play...which caused many development problems down the line.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Eagleisland said:

Even if they are, depth will be a big problem. We need no injuries and we need English to 

be approved by the NCAA.

We should have a decent influx of depth here in the fall though with the JUCO kids. Everywhere except DT anyhow. English would be huge - but I'm assuming he won't be eligible. 

I think we are still small in the middle. A good run team or a balanced offense is going to gut us in the middle. This is Finney's 2nd year (and last) so I am hoping for a big step up from him. Compared to last season, Brooks and Preston look like they have both put on weight and have become a little more physical. They both got babied the last 3 or 4 games of the season and that can't happen again. Going off yesterday they looked to be playing a lot of Cover 1 which allows that opportunity for a lot of different blitz packages, but leaves corners vulnerable...As seen on Morris' first TD pass for 28 yards down the right sideline to I believe Goree. He noticed the 1 high with the blitz and took advantage. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

A good run team or a balanced offense is going to gut us in the middle. 

I agree.  I'm not even discussing beating a good team at this point.  

I'm just thinking about our defense vs SMU and even Bethune Cookman.  They shouldn't have a big time power running game that we can't handle.  Our defense is going to have to hold it down for a few games until our offense gets going.  Based on what I saw, it wouldn't surprise me of the defense could lead us to victory in our first two games.

47 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think we are still small in the middle. A good run team or a balanced offense is going to gut us in the middle. This is Finney's 2nd year (and last) so I am hoping for a big step up from him. Compared to last season, Brooks and Preston look like they have both put on weight and have become a little more physical. They both got babied the last 3 or 4 games of the season and that can't happen again. Going off yesterday they looked to be playing a lot of Cover 1 which allows that opportunity for a lot of different blitz packages, but leaves corners vulnerable...As seen on Morris' first TD pass for 28 yards down the right sideline to I believe Goree. He noticed the 1 high with the blitz and took advantage. 

I don't see us small up the middle. You look at the size of d tackle, linebacker, d end and safety we have D-1 size. Finney will be one of the smaller lb's but he plays aggressive and quick. After watching the spring thing depth will be an issue. SMU has killed us in recruiting the last 2 years and they played a lot of freshman. Offense has a stud back and wide Reciever, let's hope their qb is below average! 

• Upvote 1

Yesterday allowed me to remain hopeful that McClain will ultimately end our NFL draft drought.  A big junior season and all-conference recognition would go a long way toward making Denton a must stop for NFL scouts in 2017.

Of course, I'm more than happy to be wrong and see that drought end before 2018!

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 1

We currently have 1 eligible 300 pound DT in Taaulo and that might be a stretch since he is new to the 300-pound club so it will be hard to maintain for him, especially once the season hits. He also doesn't really have a lot of experience and has yet to grow into an expanded role on the team. Then Roderick young is at 287. After that, a significant drop off. We have guys that get good minutes in the 260's. That is push around weight in the middle. A good run defense starts in the middle of the DL. Finney is 220...Not exactly small, but he is quick and that actually hurt him last season quite a bit where he would over-pursue himself out of the play. We need at least 1 DT as well as a LB to really step up this season for this to be a good D. JMO 

*There is a freshman on the team that I believe walked on as a PWO and he is over 300, but I don't expect anything out of that unless it materializes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

We currently have 1 eligible 300 pound DT in Taaulo and that might be a stretch since he is new to the 300-pound club so it will be hard to maintain for him, especially once the season hits. He also doesn't really have a lot of experience and has yet to grow into an expanded role on the team. Then Roderick young is at 287. After that, a significant drop off. We have guys that get good minutes in the 260's. That is push around weight in the middle. A good run defense starts in the middle of the DL. Finney is 220...Not exactly small, but he is quick and that actually hurt him last season quite a bit where he would over-pursue himself out of the play. We need at least 1 DT as well as a LB to really step up this season for this to be a good D. JMO 

*There is a freshman on the team that I believe walked on as a PWO and he is over 300, but I don't expect anything out of that unless it materializes. 

The DC kid who is a RS is I believe ard 315 and the maybe English player is showing 330. I don't know the PWO. Finney at 5'10 looked a lot smaller to me. If the the JUCO guys can play,  DE and linebacker could be very strong and our safeties could be lights out as long as our corners can handle the beach on their island! IMHO 

Edited by Wag Tag

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

It was a practice against the worst offense in FBS last season. 

Try to keep a little perspective.

I think you need perspective.  The offense and coaches from last year are gone.  The QBs are gone.  

same with the defense.  I'm sure Morris would have loved to go against last years defense with 10 yard cushions.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

I think you need perspective.  The offense and coaches from last year are gone.  The QBs are gone.  

same with the defense.  I'm sure Morris would have loved to go against last years defense with 10 yard cushions.

I think you need some perspective.

Morris has never faced live collegiate conpetition. Littrell is installing a new offensive system which is going to take time to adjust to and learn. Littrell is also changing to a wide gap on the offensive line with a majority of lineman who haven't played that alignment and weren't recruited to play that alignment. 

It's a glorified practice. To think that this defense is anywhere near 2013's defense is nuts. Dees nuts. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 14

14 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Morris has never faced live collegiate conpetition. Littrell is installing a new offensive system which is going to take time to adjust to and learn. Littrell is also changing to a wide gap on the offensive line with a majority of lineman who haven't played that alignment and weren't recruited to play that alignment. 

It's a glorified practice. To think that this defense is anywhere near 2013's defense is nuts. Dees nuts. 

Morris was battling Bama's D last spring and was in the top of the race.... I'm sure Bama's defense was using spring ball as glorified practice would that be safe to assume? You are tiresome. Yes we are going to struggle but this coaching staff is light years ahead of either past staff. Don't believe me? Just check Twitter and see kids tweeting stuff Unt.. #newDenton all sorts of stuff. If you don't want to be a little excited, fine. Please don't rain on my parade.  I enjoy winning, and college football. I think we can do some of the 1st next year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

you went all off topic.

You are the one that stated the defense went against the worst offense in 2015 in the Spring game.  Now you bring in Morris, who had nothing to do with UNT 2015 offense.  You bring up Littrell, and in 2015 he coached one of the best offenses in college.  You brought UNT 2015 offense into this and it is totally irrelevant.  New system, new coaches, new QBs, new WRs.

And who said anything about this year's being 2013 defense?  I have two posts on this thread that specifically states how this defense will look against SMU.  SMU, a 2-11 team that our defense looked fairly decent against last year.  Its a legitimate SPORTS discussion/question.  End of the third we were up 13-10.  Even with our horrible defense.  we play that SAME team at home that we held to 10 points with an undersized line and playing 10 yards off.  

now i understand why you only hammer one topic over and over.  I give you props for at least trying though.  but something tells me you are just mad that someone is trying to discuss sports instead of other topics.  

• Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

you went all off topic.

You are the one that stated the defense went against the worst offense in 2015 in the Spring game.  Now you bring in Morris, who had nothing to do with UNT 2015 offense.  You bring up Littrell, and in 2015 he coached one of the best offenses in college.  You brought UNT 2015 offense into this and it is totally irrelevant.  New system, new coaches, new QBs, new WRs.

And who said anything about this year's being 2013 defense?  I have two posts on this thread that specifically states how this defense will look against SMU.  SMU, a 2-11 team that our defense looked fairly decent against last year.  Its a legitimate SPORTS discussion/question.  End of the third we were up 13-10.  Even with our horrible defense.  we play that SAME team at home that we held to 10 points with an undersized line and playing 10 yards off.  

now i understand why you only hammer one topic over and over.  I give you props for at least trying though.  but something tells me you are just mad that someone is trying to discuss sports instead of other topics.  

No, I think you are mad that I present an alternate viewpoint. You want to believe this defense is going to be special this year. I get it. It's Spring. You want some hope. I just don't believe this is the year to be hopeful. See 2015 SMU that you point out.

And you are right, new coach, new offense, new QB, and 3 weeks to adjust to all that means easy pickings for any defense in a Spring game, especially when that offense doesn't attempt to exploit what will most likely be that defense's greatest weakness: the running game. 

SMU has a 2 year head start on Littrell and Co. That game may not be very pretty for UNT. 

31 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Morris was battling Bama's D last spring and was in the top of the race.... I'm sure Bama's defense was using spring ball as glorified practice would that be safe to assume? You are tiresome. Yes we are going to struggle but this coaching staff is light years ahead of either past staff. Don't believe me? Just check Twitter and see kids tweeting stuff Unt.. #newDenton all sorts of stuff. If you don't want to be a little excited, fine. Please don't rain on my parade.  I enjoy winning, and college football. I think we can do some of the 1st next year. 

I hope you are right, but there is no logical reason other than rah rah feel good green Kool aid drinking bulsh to believe that you are. 

This year should be spent looking for individual bright spots in Sophmores and freshmen, both redshirt and true. It'll make for a far less disappointing season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

19 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

No, I think you are mad that I present an alternate viewpoint. You want to believe this defense is going to be special this year. I get it. It's Spring.

i specifically stated that i am only concentrating on our defense vs SMU and I also mentioned Bethune Cookman.  How in the world can that be interpreted as i want to believe this defense is going to be special this year?  if anything it's the opposite.  It's only focusing on one of the worst teams in FBS in a home game.  I have stated twice that i'm not even thinking about the whole season.  I also stated that i'm pretty much hoping the defense can buy the offense some time to get things going.

if you are not going to care to read or even try to understand the topic of the thread, then stay the _ off the thread man.  seriously. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

What kind of depth did our 2013 team have on defense?  I agree we can't afford any injuries, but in 2013, mac rarely let backups play...which caused many development problems down the line.

Right, that's all you did.

Except for the above post. 

Whether you meant to or not, you compared this defense to 2013. That's what I was responding to. 

So PM Harry back and take back your complaint. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

33 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

SMU has a 2 year head start on Littrell and Co. That game may not be very pretty for UNT. 

OK, even though it's kinda weak, AT LEAST YOU HAVE A LEGIT REASON instead of some garbage post.  There's hope for you.  Even though you are somewhat endorsing a 2-11 SMU team, no one can deny that the SMU coaching staff has a head start, and someone also posted that since the two years we beat them they also beat us in recruiting.  Both legit points.  thank you.

I was still looking for more of a matchup and Xs and Os thing.  but it's a start.

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Right, that's all you did.

Except for the above post. 

Whether you meant to or not, you compared this defense to 2013. That's what I was responding to. 

So PM Harry back and take back your complaint. ?

that post was about depth.  it's right there in the post.  The 2013 team had depth issues and almost every fan knows that and complained about not getting young players reps for the following season.  Just admit you can't talk sports dude.  Its nothing to be ashamed of.  Sports isn't everyone's deal, just don't try to ruin it for everyone else. 

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1