Coach Harrell Mic'd Up

This is where this staff will succeed over the previous staff. They're young. They have energy. They're teaching by example, not just screaming at the players. 

They're not a bunch of geriatric old farts trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

Our players will be in better positions to succeed on every play

• Upvote 7

32 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

This is where this staff will succeed over the previous staff. They're young. They have energy. They're teaching by example, not just screaming at the players. 

They're not a bunch of geriatric old farts trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

Our players will be in better positions to succeed on every play

In all fairness, at the end there, the 'geriatric old farts' only pertained to McCarney, Quartaro & maybe Simmonds/Cosh/Chico... and some of those other geriatric old farts were pretty good coaches (Skladany & Simmonds immediately come to mind).  Everyone else was fairly young.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

In all fairness, at the end there, the 'geriatric old farts' only pertained to McCarney, Quartaro & maybe Simmonds/Cosh/Chico... and some of those other geriatric old farts were pretty good coaches (Skladany & Simmonds immediately come to mind).  Everyone else was fairly young.

Well when your head coach, oc and DC are all old farts that can probably help lead to 1-11.. Perry and Patrick were the only coaches I would say brought energy, youth and helped recruiting. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Well when your head coach, oc and DC are all old farts that can probably help lead to 1-11.. Perry and Patrick were the only coaches I would say brought energy, youth and helped recruiting. 

I may give some props to the old DB coach

Edited by Aldo

The best assistant coaches are looking for head coaches who are positioned to be successful and rise up the ladder to the coveted p5 positions that offer better salary and benefits.  I sense that much of Littrell's staff falls into this category.  I think Mac's early staff reflected some rising stock assistants (Clint Bowen, Anthony Weaver, Noah Joseph, Ryan Walters etc) and some journeyman guys.  As time went on, the younger upwardly mobile guys left for better jobs and better pay.  Towards the end of the Mac era it was more journeyman.

Experienced guys like Mainord, Ekeler, Reffert, etc believe in Littrell because they think he will be successful and allow them to move up the chain.  Guys like Harrell, Filani etc see it as a way to move up the ladder as well.

Here's the key -- if Littrell can show promise in his first and second year - you will see less of the defections.  Recruiting will get easier, and fan support will rise.  That is why it is ectremely important to win some games this season.  Not necessarily getting bowl eligible but being competitive in your conference and not laying down against SMU and UTSA.  Take a look at the 2016 schedule and you will see it will not be easy.

Mac seemed clueless in terms of the games that meant a lot to North Texas fans, he didn't get it.  Littrell has a chance to rebuild this bond with the fanbase that Mac had lost.

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Loved this video. You're looking at the future UNT head football coach in 5 years once Littrell pulls this program from the depths of hell and makes a winning program and leaves.

If Littrell is here for 5 years, it means he hasn't accomplished much.  Once he leaves, if Harrell doesn't go with him (or if he isn't poached before Littrell) then I hope you're right.   Would be very reminiscent of TCU losing Franchione, only to drop off Patterson.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

The best assistant coaches are looking for head coaches who are positioned to be successful and rise up the ladder to the coveted p5 positions that offer better salary and benefits.  I sense that much of Littrell's staff falls into this category.  I think Mac's early staff reflected some rising stock assistants (Clint Bowen, Anthony Weaver, Noah Joseph, Ryan Walters etc) and some journeyman guys.  As time went on, the younger upwardly mobile guys left for better jobs and better pay.  Towards the end of the Mac era it was more journeyman.

Experienced guys like Mainord, Ekeler, Reffert, etc believe in Littrell because they think he will be successful and allow them to move up the chain.  Guys like Harrell, Filani etc see it as a way to move up the ladder as well.

Here's the key -- if Littrell can show promise in his first and second year - you will see less of the defections.  Recruiting will get easier, and fan support will rise.  That is why it is ectremely important to win some games this season.  Not necessarily getting bowl eligible but being competitive in your conference and not laying down against SMU and UTSA.  Take a look at the 2016 schedule and you will see it will not be easy.

Mac seemed clueless in terms of the games that meant a lot to North Texas fans, he didn't get it.  Littrell has a chance to rebuild this bond with the fanbase that Mac had lost.

I mean, not that I don't already that SMU has historically kicked our tail in football, but it doesn't mean you should tell the fans "it's not a rivalry, it has to be competitive to be a rivalry." That remark has always bothered me. Like his constant reminder that this program is/was a joke in the grand scheme of things and we should all worship him for getting us one bowl win.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I mean, not that I don't already that SMU has historically kicked our tail in football, but it doesn't mean you should tell the fans "it's not a rivalry, it has to be competitive to be a rivalry." That remark has always bothered me. Like his constant reminder that this program is/was a joke in the grand scheme of things and we should all worship him for getting us one bowl win.

That was due to him factoring in total wins and losses and disregarding since our return to DIV 1.

Very short-sighted of him.....but represents who he was as a man.  Someone that couldn't be told what's what and was stuck in his way of thinking of things.  I guarantee he probably thought we were still North Texas State when he was approached about the job.

19 minutes ago, jdennis82 said:

Everything I've seen from the staff this spring has been exciting until about the 3:40 mark of this video when Crazy Town's "Butterfly" could be heard in the background...

very worrisome.

100% this. It was my single biggest takeaway. You just wait.... Smash Mouth during team intros. The GB does a Sugar Ray tribute at halftime. McG directs an updated Helmet Shuffle. It's time. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

100% this. It was my single biggest takeaway. You just wait.... Smash Mouth during team intros. The GB does a Sugar Ray tribute at halftime. McG directs an updated Helmet Shuffle. It's time. 

As long as Nickelback is played extensively throughout the games I'm good

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Harry said:

When we first hired Mac I remember some ISU fans coming to our board and mentioning that McCarney had the same issue at ISU.  He lost lots of good assistants and wasn't able to replace them with the same quality. 

• Upvote 1