What will it take for RV to extend Benford?

untjim1995

What kind of season will RV need to see to extend Benford, which gets him an extension, as well?

.500 or better? Top half finish in CUSA regular season?

Remember, this isn't what you think he should accomplish to keep his job, its what RV thinks he needs to see to keep Benford as the coach?

My guess is that he has to finish at .500 by the end of the regular season and needs to finish the regular season in the top half of CUSA, meaning 7th place or higher.

If this is correct, can Benford somehow jump up that bar?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Call me crazy but I think, Littrell's season will have a degree of impact. If we have a repeat of last year or a 2008-like Todd Dodge season, I'm not sure RV will be around to make the call on basketball. If football has a better season than last year, Benford will need to be at least 1 game over .500 for a winning record to save his job and likely RV's. If we start out 2-10 or something, I'm not sure Benford will finish the season.

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

What kind of season will RV need to see to extend Benford, which gets him an extension, as well?

Remember, this isn't what you think he should accomplish to keep his job, its what RV thinks he needs to see to keep Benford as the coach?

My guess is that he has to finish at .500 by the end of the regular season and needs to finish the regular season in the top half of CUSA, meaning 7th place or higher.

I think it would take 20 wins and a deep run (as in conf championship game) in the C-USA tourney to even remotely sniff any kind of new long-term deal.

I really think Benford is a lame duck, but our (when I say "our", I mean "the 17's", not me or you, or any other regular fan's) pockets were turned out getting rid of McCarney on top of normal operations & other projects.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken (I've heard it on here before, so it's gotta be true right?) that whenever a coach gets an extension, RV can write one in for himself too...   Well, maybe the issue for Smatresk/BOR isn't Benford's deal getting extended, it's higher?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

No one could do anything but guess with this administration.   If Benford didn't do enough to get fired in the first 4 years, its hard to envision what kind of season would get him terminated.  

I really think that there is a better than even chance that the team may be pretty good next year, so I predict he will be offered a new contract.   If he has a losing record I don't think even RV would dare rehiring Benford.  

However with NT's luck, Benford will turn it around in miraculous fashion, win the conference and be offered a new contract.  Of course, he will say no way and after finally learning his craft at NT's expense will be off to a greener pastures.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On April 19, 2016 at 10:08 AM, untjim1995 said:

If that is all that is required we the fans are the problem with putting up with low expectations.  If that is best we can do we should close down the bb program. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On April 22, 2016 at 10:59 PM, GrandGreen said:

No one could do anything but guess with this administration.   If Benford didn't do enough to get fired in the first 4 years, its hard to envision what kind of season would get him terminated.  

I really think that there is a better than even chance that the team may be pretty good next year, so I predict he will be offered a new contract.   If he has a losing record I don't think even RV would dare rehiring Benford.  

However with NT's luck, Benford will turn it around in miraculous fashion, win the conference and be offered a new contract.  Of course, he will say no way and after finally learning his craft at NT's expense will be off to a greener pastures.   

Your last paragraph will never happen. For starters, UNT team next year isn't nearly talented enough to win CUSA. They aren't as talented as the 2012 team. 

I also think NCAA investigators show up on campus next winter due to basketball and that becomes a distraction (gut feeling, nothing else) for a poorly coached team with average CUSA talent.,

I'd look for the standard 10 to 14 wins next year against a VERY weak OOC schedule. Just like every year of the combo of the Hattiesburg Hustler and Tony Benford. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Your last paragraph will never happen. For starters, UNT team next year isn't nearly talented enough to win CUSA. They aren't as talented as the 2012 team. 

I also think NCAA investigators show up on campus next winter due to basketball and that becomes a distraction (gut feeling, nothing else) for a poorly coached team with average CUSA talent.,

I'd look for the standard 10 to 14 wins next year against a VERY weak OOC schedule. Just like every year of the combo of the Hattiesburg Hustler and Tony Benford. 

I doubt it will happen either, but I think it would  be par for NT.  Not sure why you think a bottom tier team is going to attract a NCAA investigation.   

Not sure why you brought up the 2012 team because no one thinks they have that kind of potential.  There is also no way that Benford is the same coach he was the first year.  I do think NT will have top 3 of CUSA talent, a little improvement and a hit on a couple of newcomers and they are there.  While I think Benford has significantly improved his coaching, it will take a lot more than he has demonstrated to take NT to a contender level. 

Unlike many, I want Benford to turn it around.  Odds are not that good, but he has been given a chance no matter how bad that decision was.  I think some to prove a point want this team to fail next year.  

Benford was a bad hire, nothing is going to change that.  Benford didn't hire himself and despite all the loses and sharp decline in interest in the program; he is still trying to win.  Frankly, I am amazed he has been able to recruit anybody to his program, but his recruiting the past couple of years has got better not worse.  Trilli at this point in his career, couldn't find anybody to take scholarships.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I doubt it will happen either, but I think it would  be par for NT.  Not sure why you think a bottom tier team is going to attract a NCAA investigation.   

Not sure why you brought up the 2012 team because no one thinks they have that kind of potential.  There is also no way that Benford is the same coach he was the first year.  I do think NT will have top 3 of CUSA talent, a little improvement and a hit on a couple of newcomers and they are there.  While I think Benford has significantly improved his coaching, it will take a lot more than he has demonstrated to take NT to a contender level. 

Unlike many, I want Benford to turn it around.  Odds are not that good, but he has been given a chance no matter how bad that decision was.  I think some to prove a point want this team to fail next year.  

Benford was a bad hire, nothing is going to change that.  Benford didn't hire himself and despite all the loses and sharp decline in interest in the program; he is still trying to win.  Frankly, I am amazed he has been able to recruit anybody to his program, but his recruiting the past couple of years has got better not worse.  Trilli at this point in his career, couldn't find anybody to take scholarships.  

I want Benford gone because there will be no long term success for UNT basketball while he is here.

I also want a different AD to hire the next basketball coach.

Want in one hand...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

How dare you derail this thread!!

RV sucks, by the way.

Don't worry, I reported you for making me derail it, but only to illuvius. Let's just lay low for 2-3 minutes and see if it passes.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Rumor on the street is that Benford is a lock for as long as he wants to be here.  He's been seen wearing a green sweater vest hand delivering Jimmy John's to RV's office twice a day.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2