Really?!!?!?!!!!

Ben Gooding

34 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

A buy out that most likely wasn't needed, as mac could have been fired for cause if you had an effective AD. So don't use that excuse. If this university can't afford another $1 million to buy out a terrible AD and Bball coach, they need to just drop down to FCS and be done with it. 

And I will continue to criticize large donors, especially one that posts on here, as he has made it VERY clear that personal allegiance to the Hattiesburg Hustler comes way before any allegiance he has to UNT athletics. 

If these donors weren't up Rick's ass, and vice versa, they would be screaming like every other intelligent sports fan for his resignation. They obviously are doing just the opposite, and they are killing UNT athletics. 

I'm with Ben. Fire RV and let these kingdom building Jerry wannabes take there money elsewhere. Hire the right AD and he will replace them and possibly double their number inside a year. Hopefully with moneyed alumni that will demand the new AD do his job. 

Your scorch earth policy is rediculas. But Mc could of been fired? As usual the great Karnac knowes all the inside! But in the bright side at least you are staying on topic!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Your scorch earth policy is rediculas. But Mc could of been fired? As usual the great Karnac knowes all the inside! But in the bright side at least you are staying on topic!

Yes, he could have. Multiple sources. Contract violations. Pretty bad ones. It's really not even a secret anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If you are serious, you organize a protest at the athletic department complex. You involve students and older alums. You have intelligent people from both of those demographics prepared to speak to the media, including specific talking points (RV's coaching hire's records in major sports the last 10 years, declining attendance in both basketball and football, the colossal Benford mistake and refusal to fix it, and the lies told to older alumni to get them invested in club seats). You obtain permits to protest from the proper authorities. You work with police to make sure everything goes smoothly. You notify all local news outlets and let them know about the impending protest then hope it's a slow news day. You make sure the protest is directed specifically at the removal of the AD to have a specific message (even though we all know the problems go much deeper). 

You asked. This would bring a big spotlight on RV's failures and a huge amount of pressure on the UNT administration and the rich friends of Rick Villarreal who care more about Rick Villarreal than they do UNT athletics. This will also bring huge pressure on Rick Villarreal, although I really don't think he cares as long as he continues to cash that $375k paycheck he never earns.

This is your task, young Ben, if you chose to accept it. 

The losing culture at UNT continues.  That said, I've never liked airing our dirty laundry in public. There can be long term, unintended consequences to that, like negitively impacting recruiting. After all, this situation is not Littrell's fault. Or Benford's for that matter.  Money, or lack therof, talks. A lot of us will no longer donate or buy season tickets. Let those Red numbers stick out like a sore thumb and we'll see what happens. Apathy is the worse thing that can happen in any relationship, even one like this. We long timers have joined the rank in file and have turned off to UNT athletics. If Administration and/or the BOR are apathetic as well, so be it. Scap athletics and focus on academics.  There are other sports venues to follow, if that is your passion.  

28 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

The losing culture at UNT continues.  That said, I've never liked airing our dirty laundry in public. There can be long term, unintended consequences to that, like negitively impacting recruiting. After all, this situation is not Littrell's fault. Or Benford's for that matter.  Money, or lack therof, talks. A lot of us will no longer donate or buy season tickets. Let those Red numbers stick out like a sore thumb and we'll see what happens. Apathy is the worse thing that can happen in any relationship, even one like this. We long timers have joined the rank in file and have turned off to UNT athletics. If Administration and/or the BOR are apathetic as well, so be it. Scap athletics and focus on academics.  There are other sports venues to follow, if that is your passion.  

I get this. But respect the people who aren't ready to give up and want to do something different. I mean, apathy and walking away is what got us here. Doing the same pretty clearly isn't going to create change. Maybe nothing will, but don't put down those that want to do it a different way for a change, as the old way of no donors or attendance clearly doesn't work at UNT (see Benford retainmemt as the perfect example). 

As far as unintentional consequences, what could possibly be worse than your suggestion of UNT just dropping athletics? 

Bottom line. Support it, don't support it, but don't criticize those on either side. Both are just frustrated and want change.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Excellent ideas, and I posted the above before reading yours.

Actually, I would suggest starting the protest at the athletic department and then "marching" to the administration building before the BOR meeting.

And student leadership is definitely needed, but sadly I think that comes along with a demand to freeze, lower, or discontinue the athletic fee, which I completely understand considering UNT's lack of commitment to spend student money appropriately in athletics. 

No, I've actually done something while you supported RV until the Portland St. debacle, when you grudgingly had to admit he is the problem. You have sat on your ass and criticized me from afar. 

Thats leadership.

Wrong. His contract is up in 2018. He will stay at UNT as long as he wants to.

You wasted money on a stupid banner. You have no idea what I have done nor how long I supported RV. You supported him much more with your Club Seats, donation to buy those seats and MGC level membership to do the same. Seems those were all in place until this year. 

You sure like to call people out, me, fly, etc..., based on a lot of assumptions on your part, or criticize those that don't agree with your posts, then turn around and do exactly what you are being critical of. I believe that is called being hypocritical. You've become the definition 

I would also claim your constant badgering of RV and UNT on this public board does more harm than good, but who I am to question your almighty wisdom. I sure wish the old board, that very few frequented, was still around. You would be welcome with open arms over there. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You wasted money on a stupid banner. You have no idea what I have done nor how long I supported RV. You supported him much more with your Club Seats, donation to buy those seats and MGC level membership to do the same. Seems those were all in place until this year. 

You sure like to call people out, me, fly, etc..., based on a lot of assumptions on your part, or criticize those that don't agree with your posts, then turn around and do exactly what you are being critical of. I believe that is called being hypocritical. You've become the definition 

I would also claim your constant badgering of RV and UNT on this public board does more harm than good, but who I am to question your almighty wisdom. I sure wish the old board, that very few frequented, was still around. You would be welcome with open arms over there. 

Not to criticize you or to put down your response, but why do you support Rick? From a performance standpoint that is. Honest question. Maybe there is something there that I am struggling to see.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So bitter. It's ok, take it out on me if you must. I am the messenger, after all.

Why don't you just put me on ignore. It will do your health well. 

And that "stupid banner" was the catylist for that star telegram article, for Vito's article examining RV's tenure, and for Sideway's 2 hour sit down with RV that exposed RV again as someone who will say anything to take the heat off himself. Too bad Sidway was silenced/bought off and never published the transcript as promised. 

And that wasn't done by me. That was done by multiple donors tired of the status quo and willing to do more than sit on their lazy ass and criticize those trying to effect change while doing what they have always done. Nothing. 

You were last to the party on RV, and came to the table extremely grudgingly. Your disdain for me is because I'm the one who made you finally open your eyes and see the turd that was on your plate. 

And that's fine. At least you got here, even if you are miserable about it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If you are serious, you organize a protest at the athletic department complex. You involve students and older alums. You have intelligent people from both of those demographics prepared to speak to the media, including specific talking points (RV's coaching hire's records in major sports the last 10 years, declining attendance in both basketball and football, the colossal Benford mistake and refusal to fix it, and the lies told to older alumni to get them invested in club seats). You obtain permits to protest from the proper authorities. You work with police to make sure everything goes smoothly. You notify all local news outlets and let them know about the impending protest then hope it's a slow news day. You make sure the protest is directed specifically at the removal of the AD to have a specific message (even though we all know the problems go much deeper). 

You asked. This would bring a big spotlight on RV's failures and a huge amount of pressure on the UNT administration and the rich friends of Rick Villarreal who care more about Rick Villarreal than they do UNT athletics. This will also bring huge pressure on Rick Villarreal, although I really don't think he cares as long as he continues to cash that $375k paycheck he never earns.

This is your task, young Ben, if you chose to accept it. 

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

I get this. But respect the people who aren't ready to give up and want to do something different. I mean, apathy and walking away is what got us here. Doing the same pretty clearly isn't going to create change. Maybe nothing will, but don't put down those that want to do it a different way for a change, as the old way of no donors or attendance clearly doesn't work at UNT (see Benford retainmemt as the perfect example). 

As far as unintentional consequences, what could possibly be worse than your suggestion of UNT just dropping athletics? 

Bottom line. Support it, don't support it, but don't criticize those on either side. Both are just frustrated and want change.

Not being critical, it's just not my cup of tea. People need to do what they feel they need to do. You're right. Support it or don't.

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Bitter?  Ha ha.  Once again, your assumptions are off base.  But, I see you have resorted to that pseudo whatever you called it attack, of those you don't agree with again.  Carry on.  Unlike Doc Holliday, your hypocrisy is boundless.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Not being critical, it's just not my cup of tea. People need to do what they feel they need to do. You're right. Support it or don't.

Understand.

Insanity is repeating the same action expecting a different result. Those in authority don't care if you want a new athletic director or basketball coach. I guess it makes some of us feel good about ourselves to constantly rant about firing Rick Villarrell, but I don't see what it has accomplished. In business if an approach doesn't work you try another one . Perhaps UNT90 and his Son Of might try a different tact.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, wardly said:

Insanity is repeating the same action expecting a different result. Those in authority don't care if you want a new athletic director or basketball coach. I guess it makes some of us feel good about ourselves to constantly rant about firing Rick Villarrell, but I don't see what it has accomplished. In business if an approach doesn't work you try another one . Perhaps UNT90 and his Son Of might try a different tact.

For us there is no other tact but to walk away.

Like just about every other alumni has done.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Rudy said:

Maybe we should all write an editorial in the DaMN.

Why not write The North  Texas Daily instead? The rubbish that they wrote this week on the student athletic fee is much more damaging to UNT than anything RV has ever controlled. Apathetic even hostile coverage in the student news is a prime deterrent to everything that is athletics at UNT. Not once did they mention that our fee is less than one half of that of our competition. I was at WingSpan last night that raised over a million $$$ for UNT. You could triple the support that all those on this board give and not come close to matching this amount. Instead of spending time bitching, step up and support athletics. First show up at games. Support UNT Police in arresting for loitering at tailgates that last past the first quarter and discourage frats for serving minors by arresting for minor in posession and minor consumption. With respect to The North Texas Daily article these people were bitching about a fee increase of $1 / hr. or $15/ semester, If that is a problem they need to quit school and get a job!!! The horn tooters and pot heads who write this drivel need to get a clue that FB drives the bus. UNT will not be a great university w/o a decent FB program period end of story. Just the way it is in Texas. We are not located in CA or New England!!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

Why not write The North  Texas Daily instead? The rubbish that they wrote this week on the student athletic fee is much more damaging to UNT than anything RV has ever controlled. Apathetic even hostile coverage in the student news is a prime deterrent to everything that is athletics at UNT. Not once did they mention that our fee is less than one half of that of our competition. I was at WingSpan last night that raised over a million $$$ for UNT. You could triple the support that all those on this board give and not come close to matching this amount. Instead of spending time bitching, step up and support athletics. First show up at games. Support UNT Police in arresting for loitering at tailgates that last past the first quarter and discourage frats for serving minors by arresting for minor in posession and minor consumption. With respect to The North Texas Daily article these people were bitching about a fee increase of $1 / hr. or $15/ semester, If that is a problem they need to quit school and get a job!!! The horn tooters and pot heads who write this drivel need to get a clue that FB drives the bus. UNT will not be a great university w/o a decent FB program period end of story. Just the way it is in Texas. We are not located in CA or New England!!!!

You seriously want to punish people who want to tailgate for not going to see a crap product by arresting them? You have lost your ever loving mind? Not to even get into the illegality of arresting people who paid to be on that parking lot for the entirety of that game if they so choose to be.

Blindly supporting failure begats  failure, and has for years at UNT. There may be several games this year that I never enter the stadium, especially if this thing plays out the way I suspect it will. I'll sit outside and visit with friends. And that's none of anyone's business if I want to do that. 

By all means, let's start arresting everyone on the hill also and start making tailgating a hassle for everyone. All this will accomplish is a complete lack of student involvement and a further decrease in attendance.

Thanks for telling us again we don't matter. We get it. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Arresting folks for staying outside the stadium is asinine. Arrest minors drinking on a college campus during football season? Denton doesn't have enough police to handle that and these genius ideas will do nothing but dwindle the crowds down to nothing. Let them stay forever as far as I'm concerned. If/when a product is put together worth a damn people will swarm to their seats to watch. Until then, let them be continued access right outside with their horns and pot. 

• Upvote 1

Remember a couple years ago how pissed off some people were that the fraternities were staying outside the stadium on couches during the game?  

So I suppose it doesn't surprise me that some would advocate criminal records for that behavior.  The laws for that are on the books, and this is  still Texas, where a substantial portion of the population still teetotals religiously.

That said, let's go ahead and take the one enjoyable aspect of an otherwise increasingly miserable experience and turn it in to a police state.  That'll bring in the fans.

Disclaimer:  It's been a few seasons since I've indulged myself in an alcoholic beverage at a game, tailgate or otherwise.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Remember a couple years ago how pissed off some people were that the fraternities were staying outside the stadium on couches during the game?  

So I suppose it doesn't surprise me that some would advocate criminal records for that behavior.  The laws for that are on the books, and this is  still Texas, where a substantial portion of the population still teetotals religiously.

That said, let's go ahead and take the one enjoyable aspect of an otherwise increasingly miserable experience and turn it in to a police state.  That'll bring in the fans.

Disclaimer:  It's been a few seasons since I've indulged myself in an alcoholic beverage at a game, tailgate or otherwise.

Why not?

The games sell themselves!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So bitter. It's ok, take it out on me if you must. I am the messenger, after all.

Why don't you just put me on ignore. It will do your health well. 

And that "stupid banner" was the catylist for that star telegram article, for Vito's article examining RV's tenure, and for Sideway's 2 hour sit down with RV that exposed RV again as someone who will say anything to take the heat off himself. Too bad Sidway was silenced/bought off and never published the transcript as promised. 

And that wasn't done by me. That was done by multiple donors tired of the status quo and willing to do more than sit on their lazy ass and criticize those trying to effect change while doing what they have always done. Nothing. 

You were last to the party on RV, and came to the table extremely grudgingly. Your disdain for me is because I'm the one who made you finally open your eyes and see the turd that was on your plate. 

And that's fine. At least you got here, even if you are miserable about it.

Boring!!!! Again!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

19 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Yeah, it all started with RV wanting to fire the coach that ended up setting a conference winning record (I used to dismiss that accomplishment, but I have to admit that nothing better has happened with any of RV's hires) and in the same year hiring Mandy McKinley to head up the Mean Green club. And refusing to fire her for years.

Maybe many of us had it all wrong back then. Maybe Dickey wasn't really the major problem he was made out to be. Is it possible that something was going on behind the scenes that made his tenure as head coach unbearable even to the point of affecting his health and performance?  If we all remember, Darrell was "constantly" complaining about the facilities. Maybe that was his way of telling RV to get off his back about coaching and do his job and build new facilities including a new stadium so that he could better recruit. Looking back it was Dickey who got Mattress Mac to contribute a million dollars to Athletics while Villerreal couldn't even get the students to vote approval for the Athletic Fee and a new stadium. However RV did manage to run off Mattress Mac and his money and the support of many others as well. Also RV really didn't have much to do with the students finally approving the athletic fee. And what has he really done with that new stadium? Horrible scheduling, some five game seasons and teams that students could care less about. Terrible hires of head coaches that has cost millions in lost revenue and buyouts. Its very clear and obvious RV doesn't have a clue what he has been doing all these years.  Many of us, including myself, owe Coach Dickey an apology. 

• Upvote 6

Your UNT 17 Mean Green, everybody!!

Look, we don't like football here, administratively. But we keep it because there is a noisy minority of fans that want to keep it around. Less than 2% of the students/alumni care about it, as seen by Denton home game attendance and MGC donors.

You are better off walking away and just following from this website. You'll find it much more interesting and entertaining anyway, plus you'll save yourself lots of $$$ and time. The university's leadership has always approached football this way. We barely kept the program even going in the early 70s, we damn near killed it by dropping down to I-aa in the 80s and early 90s, and since then, we have done many, many things that no other program would allow, from playing in a toilet bowl for 15 years after moving up to I-A in 1995, playing OOC games in Denton that almost no one cares to watch, and keeping coaches/ADs that are terrible. Why? Because apathy for athletics is what you get from up top. They don't care, so they gave it to 17 people to buy. Its their toy.

This isn't changing, people. It is the status quo and the desired view of revenue sports. And it always has been. RV will be the AD for years to come. And the BOR and President will abdicate to the UNT 17. who love their buddy more than winning, as evidenced by the proof of the last 5 years on the scoreboard and in butts in seats. If anyone cared about this on the BOR, the fact that the Super Pit is less than 20% full on most nights would have garnered attention, as would the fact that the $78 million stadium being filled at well under 50% capacity in the 5th year of its existence under the same AD that has been in charge for 15 years would garner change. But it hasn't--because it doesn't even matter one iota to them. And because of their dismissiveness at top, it really, really, really shouldn't matter to you, either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2