Really?!!?!?!!!!

Ben Gooding

Waiting until the end of a season to fire a coach is a poor, poor idea.  We also saw what happened at Illinois when a coach is hired before a new AD is hired.  By the way, it's not uncommon for it to take several months to find a new Athletics Director unless a President already has someone picked out way before the last AD left the university (whether fired, retired, or took another job).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No one said (or is saying) that it fixed "everything".  But the effort the team put forth the very next week against the conference champs is proof enough that it addressed the problem of the team quitting.  

Your tunnel vision is blurring your ability to compartmentalize the individual arguments.

Really? Because I see you arguing for moral victories for a 1-11 football team who barely squeaked out a win at home against a terrible UTSA team starting their 5 th team QB due to injury.

Who really has the tunnel vision here? 

You want moral victories. I'm more interested in real ones. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Waiting until the end of a season to fire a coach is a poor, poor idea.  We also saw what happened at Illinois when a coach is hired before a new AD is hired.  By the way, it's not uncommon for it to take several months to find a new Athletics Director unless a President already has someone picked out way before the last AD left the university (whether fired, retired, or took another job).

Right. Sissy happens if RV finally leaves next year, leaving Littrell as the "new hire" just like Illinios.

Thats why RV should have been gone after Portland St. Last year's team wasn't going to do anything, anyway, and keeping Mac till the end of the year also had its advantages (documenting contract violations). Meanwhile, you use the time between Portland St Abd the end of the football season to hire an AD, and then that new AD either fires Mac for cause or gets on his horse to raise money to get rid of Mac. 

I would much rather have one more year of Mac under a new AD than 4 more years of Rick Villarreal. Mac only affects football. The Hattiesburg Hustler affects EVERYTHING. 

And again, firing Mac for cause would have been doable under a new AD who wasn't worried about his own embarassment. 

But this is North Texas, and they will always take the least efficient path.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

On April 19, 2016 at 8:20 PM, UTSA Fan said:

Eagle eye, I will weigh in to give perspective from a neophyte as you are as well. The 17 as far as I can tell are the big money donors running things financially in addition to road P5 games earnings. They appear (I claim no knowledge or experience in this matter) to maintain their cover of stealth in exchange for continued financial support, meaning, protection from some of the more vocal fans input by remaining unidentified. Almost quid pro quo if you will. It appears their numbers are small, thus concentrated, giving them a disproportionately large influence. If there would be, say, 200 large donors, a couple getting pissed off would have a negligible impact. To the point, who they are. A closely guarded piece of information for sure, as those privy to such information keep silent for the perceived benefit of the university. Modern day Knights Templar, the higher education Illuminati. They are ever watching, never recognized, always moving, never seen.

Thanks UTSA Fan for providing your perspective. Looks like I opened up Pandora's box getting in on this thread. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Really? Because I see you arguing for moral victories for a 1-11 football team who barely squeaked out a win at home against a terrible UTSA team starting their 5 th team QB due to injury.

Who really has the tunnel vision here? 

You want moral victories. I'm more interested in real ones. 

Moral victories?   

If you couldn't see the difference in how the team played from the Portland St game VS the WKU game, you either weren't there, or you're blind.  Firing McCarney addressed an issue.   Sadly, It was the more pressing issue.  I think most understand there is still a huge issue remaining.

No one knows if Littrell is going to be Saban 2.0, Dodge 2.0, or somewhere in the middle, but he's certainly better than having a new AD & B-ball coaches with McCarney still on board.   That's not a "moral victory"... that's simply a fact.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No one knows if Littrell is going to be Saban 2.0, Dodge 2.0, or somewhere in the middle, but he's certainly better than having a new AD & B-ball coaches with McCarney still on board.   That's not a "moral victory"... that's simply a fact.

I don't think I've ever seen a more misguided paragraph posted on this board. Ok, maybe that's a bit much. 

Its like having a terrible case of diarrhea and thinking the solution is constantly changing your soiled underwear.

I STRONGLY disagree.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

19 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think I've ever seen a more misguided paragraph posted on this board. Ok, maybe that's a bit much. 

Its like having a terrible case of diarrhea and thinking the solution is constantly changing your soiled underwear.

I STRONGLY disagree.

Yeah, you're right.  
It's definitely better to take the Immodium, wait for it to work, THEN change your underwear.  You've gotta do both right?   Can't do them both at the same time.  Gotta make a tough choice.  If I'm being honest, your choice is rather odd & nasty.

Once again...  I can't say this any more clearly, so please read carefully: No one is saying the solution is to change the football coach.  But that was a pressing, dire symptom that needed to be addressed immediately.  
Now, on to the solution... unfortunately, the funds aren't there, so it appears Smatresk/BOR are letting this thing die slowly.  It hurts, for sure, but at least it appears the wheels are in motion.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah, you're right.  
It's definitely better to take the Immodium, wait for it to work, THEN change your underwear.  You've gotta do both right?   Can't do them both at the same time.  Gotta make a tough choice.  If I'm being honest, your choice is rather odd & nasty.

Once again...  I can't say this any more clearly, so please read carefully: No one is saying the solution is to change the football coach.  But that was a pressing, dire symptom that needed to be addressed immediately.  
Now, on to the solution... unfortunately, the funds aren't there, so it appears Smatresk/BOR are letting this thing die slowly.  It hurts, for sure, but at least it appears the wheels are in motion.

Right, so what you are saying is that UNT treated a symptom instead of the disease.

If you only have money to do one, cut the head off th disease. 

I also don't believe UNT is as poor as you make them out to be. Fly himself has railed away that money is there for the Benford buy out. UNT just chooses to go down the same path they always have because they don't care about athletics. 

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah, you're right.  

Right, so what you are saying is that UNT treated a symptom instead of the disease.

I also don't believe UNT is as poor as you make them out to be. Fly himself has railed away that money is there for the Benford buy out. UNT just chooses to go down the same path they always have because they don't care about athletics. 

13 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I'm amused that people think the 17 are some mysterious secret society of anonymous enigmas.  It takes like five seconds to get a publicly published list sent to your printer.  There is nothing anonymous or mysterious about them.  They are all there, in the open, writing checks, attending games.  

And not caring one way or the other whether or not UNT athletics are successful.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Oh, I remember this.  It's why I had hope they would do the right thing and get rid of Benford.  But maybe, just maybe, RV & crew knew something else was brewing in a different lockerroom... 
Fly said this before that fateful October 10th afternoon when those funds, no-doubt, needed to be redirected immediately.

Mr. Ryan & Mr. Khuene, Mr. Lovelace, etc... are often found at Apogee on Saturdays.   You should go shake their hands and explain to them how they don't care about athletics... especially Mr. Ryan, him being the BOR chair and all.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And not caring one way or the other whether or not UNT athletics are successful.

I could give you a name by name rundown on that.  For some, you are correct.  For others, you are marginally on base.  For others, you are incredibly wrong.  

Some of them definitely have near religious zeal for the university and everything contained therein.  It is infallible.  It can do no wrong.

I have heard others go off on some incredible profanity laden rants that made even my worldly ears burn a little.  

There are different motivations for people to spend big money here. 

Like any group, you can't collectively assign one personality to each individual.  

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Mr. Ryan & Mr. Khuene, Mr. Lovelace, etc... are often found at Apogee on Saturdays.   You should go shake their hands and explain to them how they don't care about athletics... especially Mr. Ryan, him being the BOR chair and all.

Yep, they are there watching a losing program. A program that is the laughing stock of FBS sports in Texas. And they have left the man in power who has put UNT in this position. Actions and words, my friend. 

And I certainly would never approach them and accuse them as you suggest. That's extremely rude, not to mention they could give 2 craps about my opinion. 

If they ever approached me (they won't, because they don't know who I am, don't care what I have to say, and know to approach me would also be extremely rude), I would have no problem telling them exactly how I feel about the state of UNT athletics and their inaction. 

I certainly don't seek out confrontation, but trust me, I damn sure don't shy away from it when it shows up at my door.

13 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I could give you a name by name rundown on that.  For some, you are correct.  For others, you are marginally on base.  For others, you are incredibly wrong.  

Some of them definitely have near religious zeal for the university and everything contained therein.  It is infallible.  It can do no wrong.

I have heard others go off on some incredible profanity laden rants that made even my worldly ears burn a little.  

There are different motivations for people to spend big money here. 

Like any group, you can't collectively assign one personality to each individual.  

Yet RV sits protected in his AD chair...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

38 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I'm amused that people think the 17 are some mysterious secret society of anonymous enigmas.  It takes like five seconds to get a publicly published list sent to your printer.  There is nothing anonymous or mysterious about them.  They are all there, in the open, writing checks, attending games.  

^

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yet you will come on here multiple times, each and every day spewing the same, as you state, diarrhea of the mouth.  Regardless of what flyonthewall stated, did it ever occur to you that the money was not there to pay off, Mac, Benford and RV all at the same time?  If the rumors are true, then Mac had to go and had to go then and there.  It is funny how you whitewash over known facts to twist the story to fit your agenda and don't look at this objectively.  Mac had to go and $2 million was spent to send him on his way for not doing his job.  I would rather that occur than allowing him to continue to kill the athletic department's cash cow just to get rid of the AD and Bball coach.  If RV's and Benford's contracts are extended, then I will question their true sanity.

Mac isn't what is killing this program. This program was dead before he got here and will be dead as long as RV is in the AD's office. Another year wouldn't have mattered, although I don't think it would have been necessary.

In case you haven't noticed, this is a fan board, where you come to express opinions. I get that you don't like mine, but I'll continue to express it until I tire and go away or until the owner of this board decides I can't express it here anymore. I'm sure you have complained multiple times to mods, even though I have broken no rules. 

Funny thing is I simply disagree with your opinion and never try to shut you up. Why do you feel the need to do so with me? Especially when you supposedly agree (finally) with what I say? That's a question you should ask yourself. 

• Downvote 6

We get what we deserve. If we are too poor to buyout RVs contract and Benford's contract, you have to really ask yourself why we are competing at this level of athletics. Seriously, if we are that poor--and I don't believe anything Fly said about this, since Benford kept his job after the latest disaster--I cannot imagine anyone would blame us for dropping down or allowing certain sports to get dropped. If you don't have the money, you don't have the money. 

But, to me, it's completely worse if we do have the resources to do this and won't. It screams a power play by the big donors and it screams apathy by the leadership of the university. 

I guess, to me, the UNT 17 stepping up and buying out Mac was awesome and something to really commend them on getting done so quickly. But keeping RV just makes no sense to those of us outside those groups. It includes a large chunk of the DFW media, too, who don't care about us because of our losing, but even more, cannot believe that we keep RV as the AD. It literally makes no sense to a lot of us and it's why we cannot spend another penny or second on attending or donating to our athletic department under RV's continued direction.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Mac isn't what is killing this program. This program was dead before he got here and will be dead as long as RV is in the AD's office. Another year wouldn't have mattered, although I don't think it would have been necessary.

In case you haven't noticed, this is a fan board, where you come to express opinions. I get that you don't like mine, but I'll continue to express it until I tire and go away or until the owner of this board decides I can't express it here anymore. I'm sure you have complained multiple times to mods, even though I have broken no rules. 

Funny thing is I simply disagree with your opinion and never try to shut you up. Why do you feel the need to do so with me? Especially when you supposedly agree (finally) with what I say? That's a question you should ask yourself. 

Of course you ignore what I put in bold.  I am not trying to shut you up, but why do you feel the need to post this same crap every single day?  Why is it rude to address your concerns with those that have the ability to facilitate change, but it isn't to come on here and express the same ol', same ol'?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Of course you ignore what I put in bold.  I am not trying to shut you up, but why do you feel the need to post this same crap every single day?  Why is it rude to address your concerns with those that have the ability to facilitate change, but it isn't to come on here and express the same ol', same ol'?

Lifer, 90 is not interested in making changes; he has proven incapable of doing so.  He, or she (don't know the person at all and don't want to assume anything here) just wants to spread HIS/HER misery to others and try to manipulate(what he/she says RV does all the time) others to effect the changes he/she is obviously incapable of doing with his/her own merits.  When he/she loses an argument, he/she tries to turn it around (manipulation at its best) and make it your fault that he/she is not getting his/her way

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

58 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Because this is message board???

Because interrupting someone's social time to tell them they suck isn't exactly the southern manors that I was taught as a kid?

I post here because it's public. Public to current students, public alumni, and public to future students. Social media is the most effective, and really the only, forum available for those like me to express this opinion. It isn't welcome anywhere at UNT. They simply don't want to hear it. 

Glossing over crap performance by the AD and a terrible culture at the university when it comes to athletics is what got UNT in the position it is in now. You want to continue that? Guess what. Things aren't rosey. UNT is one of the worst programs in America, has been for years, and no one is doing anything about it. 

And I'll talk about it until UNT changes course or ownership of this board tells me to stop. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Because this is message board???

Because interrupting someone's social time to tell them they suck isn't exactly the southern manors that I was taught as a kid?

I post here because it's public. Public to current students, public alumni, and public to future students. Social media is the most effective, and really the only, forum available for those like me to express this opinion. It isn't welcome anywhere at UNT. They simply don't want to hear it. 

Glossing over crap performance by the AD and a terrible culture at the university when it comes to athletics is what got UNT in the position it is in now. You want to continue that? Guess what. Things aren't rosey. UNT is one of the worst programs in America, has been for years, and no one is doing anything about it. 

And I'll talk about it until UNT changes course or ownership of this board tells me to stop. 

Hate to tell you this, but flapping your electronic gums on this board will NEVER get anything changed....especially in the vile way you do it.  MAN-UP, put together the biggest group of like minded individuals you can, raise money if needed, schedule an actual appointment with somebody who can make the changes you seek.....this is how professional people do things.  NOT insulting everybody you can on a message board.  We get that you are not happy with the state of athletics at UNT.  we are not in a good position, and have not been for a while.  However, you are going about it all wrong.  I actually charge people $150 per hour to help....consult with them in how to make their business more competitive and profitable.  Sometimes I charge a flat rate, depending on the project......  Pony up about 30 hours worth of time and I will walk you through the process....otherwise, you will get nowhere

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Lifer, 90 is not interested in making changes; he has proven incapable of doing so.  He, or she (don't know the person at all and don't want to assume anything here) just wants to spread HIS/HER misery to others and try to manipulate(what he/she says RV does all the time) others to effect the changes he/she is obviously incapable of doing with his/her own merits.  When he/she loses an argument, he/she tries to turn it around (manipulation at its best) and make it your fault that he/she is not getting his/her way

And you are a shadow account create specifically to support Rick Villarreal. 

Fault that I'm not getting my way? Lol. I'm a small donor who is under no false illusion where I stand in the big picture. 

Manipulation is done by the Hattiesburg Hustler. He has the power to do so, not i my friend.

What people should ask themselves is why is your account so new and why is just about every post of  yours dedicated to diminishing my opinions? Joined in January. 87 posts, about 70 of which are directed my way.

Shadow accounts aren't hard to detect. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4