Really?!!?!?!!!!

Ben Gooding

“I look past that. I don’t take too much credit for the things we do that are great. I don’t take too much blame for the things that don’t go great."

Our Fearless Leader, Rick Villarreal 

I look at that quote and just shake my head. Leaders don't say things such as this, real ones don't anyway. How does a director of a department not take blame for the things that they don't do great and get away with it? And we all know the first part of that quote is utter BS. How has North Texas athletics come to this? How have things not changed? Why are we still here talking about it? It's unprecedented. I may be young in a number being 29 next month, but I have followed college athletics as far back as I can literally remember and I have never, ever seen anything like this in my lifetime. As I have stated before, I can't find a way to wrap my head around this. I sent emails to the Prez in the past as I have recently as well and I hear nothing but a generic email from a secretary. 

We may or may not have a good coaching staff in Littrell & Co. Most think we do and I do as well. However, when Littrell is gone in a couple years from either being fired or hired away, what then? Trust this administration in making another football hire? What about another basketball hire next season when Benford in inevitably fired? It's been said too many times, but we have a HUGE alum base and a minuscule number from that is donating. Why is that? Why can I go to podunk Triangle Mall in Denton and at times see more nutsack merchandise than UNT merchandise? Why have we only had 1 winning season the last 6 or 7 years in revenue sports combined and no one from an administration standpoint gets held accountable? We have no marketing strategy, we apparently have no donor growth strategy, etc. Coming from an athletic administration standpoint, I can't seem to find a strategic development plan in place. I see circles being ran while throwing darts in the dark. I want highly paid administrators to be held under the light when things consistently fail here like they currently are.  Accountability is all that I ask for. Accept responsibility for your actions. Be accountable for your results. Take ownership of your mistakes. This University, it's sickening. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

My grandfather, who is not a North Texas alum or even an avid follower of all things UNT but IS a Denton resident, had this unsolicited comment for me yesterday at my twins' birthday party.

"Emmitt, you know that hiring a new football coach is not going to make that team a winner...you have to replace that athletic director"  

Can it be any more plain?  Can our failure to connect with the thousands who purposefully stay home on Fall Saturdays be put in any clearer perspective?  

Yeah, the outsiders are aware of the real problem. Administrators from other universities are aware of the real problem. Fans from other schools are clearly aware of the real problem. Yet, our own university administration just continues to sit on their hands. I get needing to have donor relations. I get it to its fullest extent. But an AD with a little suave and energy could replace the donors that back out upon the firing of Rick. As far as I'm concerned a new AD could double up on donors at this point and he/she could do it rather quickly. Plus, if our current donors pull all of their cards out after firing Rick then they are nothing but a bunch of Mattress Mack's and we need to shed them anyways. I am tired of it all.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

My grandfather, who is not a North Texas alum or even an avid follower of all things UNT but IS a Denton resident, had this unsolicited comment for me yesterday at my twins' birthday party.

"Emmitt, you know that hiring a new football coach is not going to make that team a winner...you have to replace that athletic director"  

Can it be any more plain?  Can our failure to connect with the thousands who purposefully stay home on Fall Saturdays be put in any clearer perspective?  

Smart man, your grandfather. Does he have like $1 million to donate so he can hang out with the likes of @flyonthewall and his buddies and make them see what is so painfully obvious to anyone who has functional eyes and a brain? 

Nevermind, bad idea. I forget that those people care far more about Rick Villarreal than they ever cared about UNT athletics.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

Just now, UNT90 said:

Smart man, your grandfather. Does he have like $1 million to donate so he can hang out with the likes of @flyonthewall and his buddies and make them see what is so painfully obvious to anyone who has functional eyes and a brain? 

Nevermind, bad idea. I forget that those people care far more about Rick Villarreal than they ever cared about UNT athletics.

I'm not here to fire shots. I made this thread to create an open but positive dialogue to rid the problem. How do we do it and when do we need to make a significant push to do it? And if there are some that legitimately think that we do not need to do it, elaborate. I'm all ears. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah, the outsiders are aware of the real problem. Administrators from other universities are aware of the real problem. Fans from other schools are clearly aware of the real problem. Yet, our own university administration just continues to sit on their hands. I get needing to have donor relations. I get it to its fullest extent. But an AD with a little suave and energy could replace the donors that back out upon the firing of Rick. As far as I'm concerned a new AD could double up on donors at this point and he/she could do it rather quickly. Plus, if our current donors pull all of their cards out after firing Rick then they are nothing but a bunch of Mattress Mack's and we need to shed them anyways. I am tired of it all.

Where is that quote from. I'd love to read it in full context. Can you post a link. 

Here is the deal. There is very little to be proud of in his tenure, especially the last 5 years after he had everything he needed and proved that poor facilities were just another hustle he used to underachieve. 

You don't say things like this if you have a long list of accomplishments. He doesn't. There is a reason he has put in for every AD opening in America and not gotten a sniff. UNT just accepts failure. Good for the Hattiesburg Hustler, I guess.

EDIT: Not to mention this is another lie. Go look at meangreensports and read his bio/resume. He takes credit for things that have never been accomplished at UNT. Just saying whatever sounds good at the time. It's what hustlers do.

#Hattiesburgstyle 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Your emails to the President go unanswered.  How about sending a letter to him by registered mail, signature required?

Oh, I will get to that. Make no mistake. 

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Where is that quote from. I'd love to read it in full context. Can you post a link. 

Here is the deal. There is very little to be proud of in his tenure, especially the last 5 years after he had everything he needed and proved that poor facilities were just another hustle he used to underachieve. 

You don't say things like this if you have a long list of accomplishments. He doesn't. There is a reason he has put in for every AD opening in America and not gotten a sniff. UNT just accepts failure. Good for the Hattiesburg Hustler, I guess.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/football/article41992233.html 

Dated back in October of 2015. A senseless, arrogant quote nevertheless. It was when some were sending in a postcard. The quote is down towards the bottom of the article if you don't feel like reading a bunch of crap. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I'm not here to fire shots. I made this thread to create an open but positive dialogue to rid the problem. How do we do it and when do we need to make a significant push to do it? And if there are some that legitimately think that we do not need to do it, elaborate. I'm all ears. 

If you are serious, you organize a protest at the athletic department complex. You involve students and older alums. You have intelligent people from both of those demographics prepared to speak to the media, including specific talking points (RV's coaching hire's records in major sports the last 10 years, declining attendance in both basketball and football, the colossal Benford mistake and refusal to fix it, and the lies told to older alumni to get them invested in club seats). You obtain permits to protest from the proper authorities. You work with police to make sure everything goes smoothly. You notify all local news outlets and let them know about the impending protest then hope it's a slow news day. You make sure the protest is directed specifically at the removal of the AD to have a specific message (even though we all know the problems go much deeper). 

You asked. This would bring a big spotlight on RV's failures and a huge amount of pressure on the UNT administration and the rich friends of Rick Villarreal who care more about Rick Villarreal than they do UNT athletics. This will also bring huge pressure on Rick Villarreal, although I really don't think he cares as long as he continues to cash that $375k paycheck he never earns.

This is your task, young Ben, if you chose to accept it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If you are serious, you organize a protest at the athletic department complex. You involve students and older alums. You have intelligent people from both of those demographics prepared to speak to the media, including specific talking points (RV's coaching hire's records in major sports the last 10 years, declining attendance in both basketball and football, the colossal Benford mistake and refusal to fix it, and the lies told to older alumni to get them invested in club seats). You obtain permits to protest from the proper authorities. You work with police to make sure everything goes smoothly. You notify all local news outlets and let them know about the impending protest then hope it's a slow news day. You make sure the protest is directed specifically at the removal of the AD to have a specific message (even though we all know the problems go much deeper). 

You asked. This would bring a big spotlight on RV's failures and a huge amount of pressure on the UNT administration and the rich friends of Rick Villarreal who care more about Rick Villarreal than they do UNT athletics. This will also bring huge pressure on Rick Villarreal, although I really don't think he cares as long as he continues to cash that $375k paycheck he never earns.

haha, That's all?

This needs to be headed by a group, not an individual. I am all for helping connect these dots to ensure that it happens. But single handily putting this together is a task that I do not have time for. I can get permits together and communicate with local press. I will agree to take that on right now if other people would like to openly head this with me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

haha, That's all?

This needs to be headed by a group, not an individual. I am all for helping connect these dots to ensure that it happens. But single handily putting this together is a task that I do not have time for. I can get permits together and communicate with local press. I will agree to take that on right now if other people would like to openly head this with me. 

Groups ALWAYS need a leader, otherwise they just wander aimlessly about bitching about things that never change.

See UNT athletics and, sadly, it's fan base.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Groups ALWAYS need a leader, otherwise they just wander aimlessly about bitching about things that never change.

Sure, true. If anyone on this board would like to participate in this please PM me. I will see what kind of group on this board I can get together to help put the pieces together. If it catches momentum, we'll sprint to the finish line. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

“I look past that. I don’t take too much credit for the things we do that are great. I don’t take too much blame for the things that don’t go great."

Our Fearless Leader, Rick Villarreal 

I look at that quote and just shake my head. Leaders don't say things such as this, real ones don't anyway. How does a director of a department not take blame for the things that they don't do great and get away with it? And we all know the first part of that quote is utter BS. How has North Texas athletics come to this? How have things not changed? Why are we still here talking about it? It's unprecedented. I may be young in a number being 29 next month, but I have followed college athletics as far back as I can literally remember and I have never, ever seen anything like this in my lifetime. As I have stated before, I can't find a way to wrap my head around this. I sent emails to the Prez in the past as I have recently as well and I hear nothing but a generic email from a secretary. 

We may or may not have a good coaching staff in Littrell & Co. Most think we do and I do as well. However, when Littrell is gone in a couple years from either being fired or hired away, what then? Trust this administration in making another football hire? What about another basketball hire next season when Benford in inevitably fired? It's been said too many times, but we have a HUGE alum base and a minuscule number from that is donating. Why is that? Why can I go to podunk Triangle Mall in Denton and at times see more nutsack merchandise than UNT merchandise? Why have we only had 1 winning season the last 6 or 7 years in revenue sports combined and no one from an administration standpoint gets held accountable? We have no marketing strategy, we apparently have no donor growth strategy, etc. Coming from an athletic administration standpoint, I can't seem to find a strategic development plan in place. I see circles being ran while throwing darts in the dark. I want highly paid administrators to be held under the light when things consistently fail here like they currently are.  Accountability is all that I ask for. Accept responsibility for your actions. Be accountable for your results. Take ownership of your mistakes. This University, it's sickening. 

You are so right on that quote. It is pitiful that in coaching and business give me credit and a raise when things are good, but when they get f up I didn't know! Coach Rick at U of L anybody? I know it may no matter but his contract I believe is up next year! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Or the last 18 months of your posts.  More comedy gold.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

28 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I'd only change two items in your post:

1. Protest at the administration building, where Smatresk can't ignore it, and if the the BOR still meets there, protest when they are meeting.

2. This kind of revolt must be lead by a current student and student organizations, such as the student government. If Ben is a student then great. Run with it. The students are the ones forking over the dedicated athletic fee, the media will show up to report on them. RV, Smatresk, and the BOR can't ignore them. As alums, we should consult and help only when asked.

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh, I will get to that. Make no mistake. 

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/football/article41992233.html 

Dated back in October of 2015. A senseless, arrogant quote nevertheless. It was when some were sending in a postcard. The quote is down towards the bottom of the article if you don't feel like reading a bunch of crap. 

And the protest idea is a legitimate submission. Better if organized by a student, though. I here they like to do those things, anyway.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

1. Protest at the administration building, where Smatresk can't ignore it, and if the the BOR still meets there, protest when they are meeting.

2. This kind of revolt must be lead by a current student and student organizations, such as the student government. If Ben is a student then great. Run with it. The students are the ones forking over the dedicated athletic fee, the media will show up to report on them. RV, Smatresk, and the BOR can't ignore them. As alums, we should consult and help only when asked.

I think alums at the University of Alabama or Ohio State, USC, etc. would fully participate if they were in the middle of a catastrophe of an athletic department, don't you? 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Excellent ideas, and I posted the above before reading yours.

Actually, I would suggest starting the protest at the athletic department and then "marching" to the administration building before the BOR meeting.

And student leadership is definitely needed, but sadly I think that comes along with a demand to freeze, lower, or discontinue the athletic fee, which I completely understand considering UNT's lack of commitment to spend student money appropriately in athletics. 

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Or the last 18 months of your posts.  More comedy gold.

No, I've actually done something while you supported RV until the Portland St. debacle, when you grudgingly had to admit he is the problem. You have sat on your ass and criticized me from afar. 

Thats leadership.

33 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

You are so right on that quote. It is pitiful that in coaching and business give me credit and a raise when things are good, but when they get f up I didn't know! Coach Rick at U of L anybody? I know it may no matter but his contract I believe is up next year! 

Wrong. His contract is up in 2018. He will stay at UNT as long as he wants to.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

RV is a gripe but to gripe about supportive alum stinks! It is the same alum that helped with the Mc $1.5 buyout! R going to gripe about that? Maybe it is about the money 6 months ago Mc, RV, and Ben all should of been fired. After the Mc buyout maybe the firing fund ran out of money!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

RV is a gripe but to gripe about supportive alum stinks! It is the same alum that helped with the Mc $1.5 buyout! R going to gripe about that? Maybe it is about the money 6 months ago Mc, RV, and Ben all should of been fired. After the Mc buyout maybe the firing fund ran out of money!

If our AD would have shined a light on the massive issue that was his hire he wouldn't have had to dish out 1 red cent for an almost factual clause in his contract. The devil's nectar could have kept 1.5M in the bank. But of course that would be admitting fault and I have yet seen an article or heard him do that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

A buy out that most likely wasn't needed, as mac could have been fired for cause if you had an effective AD. So don't use that excuse. If this university can't afford another $1 million to buy out a terrible AD and Bball coach, they need to just drop down to FCS and be done with it. 

And I will continue to criticize large donors, especially one that posts on here, as he has made it VERY clear that personal allegiance to the Hattiesburg Hustler comes way before any allegiance he has to UNT athletics. 

If these donors weren't up Rick's ass, and vice versa, they would be screaming like every other intelligent sports fan for his resignation. They obviously are doing just the opposite, and they are killing UNT athletics. 

I'm with Ben. Fire RV and let these kingdom building Jerry wannabes take there money elsewhere. Hire the right AD and he will replace them and possibly double their number inside a year. Hopefully with moneyed alumni that will demand the new AD do his job. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Interesting observations from the re-read of that article. It's clear that Smatresk leaked the no vote of confidence. It's also clear that Smatresk allowed the reporter to review personal correspondence sent to Smatresk from alumni wanting Villarreal gone.

It looks like Smatresk wanted RV out and was trying to do the same thing we tried to do with the banner. And it looks like Smatresk lost this power struggle in grand fashion. To an underachieving AD who apparently manipulated the large donors and select members of the BOR to support him over the school president. 

Only at UNT. 

This is why I have no problem criticizing big money donors who are perfectly ok with losing. Those are donors UNT doesn't need.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Yeah, it all started with RV wanting to fire the coach that ended up setting a conference winning record (I used to dismiss that accomplishment, but I have to admit that nothing better has happened with any of RV's hires) and in the same year hiring Mandy McKinley to head up the Mean Green club. And refusing to fire her for years.

• Upvote 3