MGB: NCAA shuts down satellite camps, thoughts on impact for UNT

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't think it hurts us.  We can have multiple camps at UNT/Apogee, located in the middle of one of the best recruiting grounds in the nation, exposing these kids to our campus and facilities instead of us travelling to Houston, kids attending to get exposure and listening to our coaches sell the campus/location.

This. SMU has had close to 500 kids each camp they've hosted on campus.  We will be just fine.

11 hours ago, untcampbell said:

And Frisco, and UNTHSC in Fort Worth, and UNT Law.

GMG

Special rule for camp at UNT Law...no footballs.  Prospective quarterbacks have to demonstrate that they know how to throw the book at you.

• Upvote 5

This should be a massive advantage for NT over the likes of UTEP, USM, La Tech etc.. 

Last year one recruit's parent described how utterly disorganized  the camp his son attended at Apogee was, and how terrible the guy with the grey hair and mustache doing all the talking was.

Can Coach Litrell get that guy OUT of the damn way and take advantage of this opportunity?  We'll see.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

23 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

This should be a massive advantage for NT over the likes of UTEP, USM, La Tech etc.. 

Last year one recruit's parent described how utterly disorganized  the camp his son attended at Apogee was, and how terrible the guy with the grey hair and mustache doing all the talking was.

Can Coach Litrell get that guy OUT of the damn way and take advantage of this opportunity?  We'll see.

Rick

One thing I noticed at McCarney ran camps was the amount of talking he felt he needed to do. We know all about his ego and what not, but these camps are for the recruits to get positive interaction with their position coaches (the coaches actually recruiting a lot of them) as well as getting a look at our facilities. Less talking and more on the field coaching will pay dividends. We know Littrell isn't a talkative person and that can be a positive thing at times. Often, less is more. 

And I agree with firefightinRick, this ruling significantly plays out of the hands of the likes of UTEP, USM, La Tech, ULL, Arkansas St, ULM, Tulsa, and several more of a our competitors. 

On 4/8/2016 at 2:04 PM, UTSA Fan said:

Not nit picking, but the rule says camps, not coach visits. I think those visits will become the bread and butter of G5 recruiting.

Yeah, but the vibe isn't the same on a general visit. Whereas getting organized camps together can land or at least turn the heads of recruits we are after. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On April 9, 2016 at 0:20 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

No one can get that guy out of the way.

Not losing. Not lying. Not hiring inept people (and not just coaches).

AD for life. And 17 friends forever!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

On 4/9/2016 at 11:03 PM, adman said:

Could we not also do a camp at our South Dallas Campus? (Pretty sure there are no athletic facilities but it's still a campus.)

Great idea, but I don't think "system" campuses count.  However, wasn't there talk at one point of bringing the UNTHSC under the Denton Campus admin in order to raise endowment funds?

If this is a loophole, I look forward to the Longhorns kicking UTSA and UTEP off of their campuses while they host one of these.   Also expect them to have one in Arlington, and A&M has a little ag campus down the street from UTD as well.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:20 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

This post in confusing to me @FirefightnRick.  You state this gives us a massive advantage, but in the next sentence talk about how a recruit's parents describe these camps as utterly disorganized, which seems like a disadvantage to me.  Throw the gasoline that is RV on top of the fire Mac had started and it was even more of a mess.

I guess, if run correctly, this can be an advantage for us.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Pretty sure all they are saying is that the schools can't host them.  This is probably just means that the college coaches will have to attend more camps that are run by semi neutral parties.  Where there is a will, there is a loophole. 

Like Harrell's Passing Academy? 

• Upvote 1

On Friday, April 08, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

How much of their talent do they sign via satellite camps?  I don't know, but I would speculate that it's a relatively small percentage.

I read for Texas Tech it was 16 roster players from satellite camps. Sounds like a significant number.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Thanks--that's good to know, but the question pertained specifically to USM and LaTech.

Walkers post specifically mentions Tech and the context of the thread was isolated campuses being disadvantaged. I contributed the post in context of the thread and your post, I believe, asserted a small % at an FBS outpost. The imput seemed to address all three mentioned issues, although not precisely the exact campi in question. I apologize for my sloppy handling of content.

Edited by UTSA Fan

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

I thought the rule only outlawed camps in other states?

Unfortunately that's not the case, but my first thought was it would make sense to be able to have camps anywhere within your own state. Apparently the NCAA and I are on different wavelengths.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Mike & Mike did a full segment this morning over this rule.  They talked about how it is bad for the kids because now they do not have as much exposure.

It may be bad for kid, but it will be good for us IMO.  Perry is relentless in East Texas and it will give us a chance at least until the rule is modified to dominate out there. 

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 9:41 AM, TreeFiddy said:

Pretty sure all they are saying is that the schools can't host them.  This is probably just means that the college coaches will have to attend more camps that are run by semi neutral parties.  Where there is a will, there is a loophole. 

True. Most success is living very close to the edge and operating in blind spots. As a neophyte, it's inexplicable that the program struggles as presented on the forum. I have to believe these rules will not go unamended, but there should be a huge advantage with the DFW area as large as it is. Even if you assume the P5 get their pick, it's hard to imagine the program struggling with an embarrassment of riches at arm's length.

Canceling Out of state camps makes total sense but in state camps....How are smaller in state schools suppose to show off what they have with out that? I didnt like Michigan and some of those other schools coming into the DFW  with their camps and picking off our kids. Keep those yanks north of the Red River

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...