Aldo

20 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

UNT 90 is my pick. As UNT runs the gauntlet to a bowl under Littrell, he will shake off the dust of disappointment and become a powerful advocate for the program shocking Mean Green Nation.

So you are predicting that this is the year when Hell freezes over?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On March 25, 2016 at 5:42 PM, UTSA Fan said:

UNT 90 is my pick. As UNT runs the gauntlet to a bowl under Littrell, he will shake off the dust of disappointment and become a powerful advocate for the program shocking Mean Green Nation.

Doubtful. My flags will fly in distress until Rick Villarreal is fired.

That's if I'm at the tailgate. 

And this is a 3 win team. Tops. A lot of people are going to be disappointed when SMU comes to town. 

I'll most likely make the SMU game, either buying at the gate or getting one of the many free tickets that normally float around our tailgate (see a problem there?). After that, who knows. Depends on if I have anything better to do. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 2:47 PM, casual fan said:

Mason Fine will become the starter during the season and put up some good numbers.

Mason is going to need to bulk up to survive D-1 football.  Lets hope he redshirts this year.

19 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Jordan Murray on offense will be an all conference selection. Jaried Combs comes to life on D and shows us he is for real.

Why can't we convert a o-lineman to a d-lineman? I bring this up every year and those on here with real football knowledge set me straight.  But damn, I think the idea of opposing QB's trying to throw over Jordan Murray sounds just great to me.

Edited by HoustonEagle

50 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Mason is going to need to bulk up to survive D-1 football.  Lets hope he redshirts this year.

Why can't we convert a o-lineman to a d-lineman? I bring this up every year and those on here with real football knowledge set me straight.  But damn, I think the idea of opposing QB's trying to throw over Jordan Murray sounds just great to me.

I agree.  I look at people like Connor Trussell or Garrett Gunter that are seniors and have never really sniffed the two deep on OL.  Why not try these young men at DL/DT?

To me, a defensive lineman is about quickness and strength in that order.  Not many are going to out-muscle an offensive lineman.  Offensive linemen need less quickness or speed to simply cut off the rusher's angle of pursuit.

Some players can adapt to changing sides of the ball but most cannot.  Back in the days of the two-way player almost everyone was better at either offense or defense even though you did both at every practice.  

In one of the few times when the switch actually made the team better, I remember Richard Abbe.  Abbe was a big (around 6'4", 315) tackle who was playing, but not excelling, on offense.  He was switched to defense his junior year without a great deal of success.  But, in his senior year he came alive.  I don't remember a defensive tackle, other than Booger Kennedy, who had a better year.  He was good whether they were running at him or away from him.  What I'm trying to say is if you're going to switch sides of the ball, do it early.  

38 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

In one of the few times when the switch actually made the team better, I remember Richard Abbe.  Abbe was a big (around 6'4", 315) tackle who was playing, but not excelling, on offense.  He was switched to defense his junior year without a great deal of success.  But, in his senior year he came alive.  I don't remember a defensive tackle, other than Booger Kennedy, who had a better year.  He was good whether they were running at him or away from him.  What I'm trying to say is if you're going to switch sides of the ball, do it early.  

You must be thinking of someone else.  Abbe was recruited at DT, and stayed at DT all 4 years.  He was also a very solid contributor his junior year, starting by the end of the year, although he didn't put up the kind of numbers he did his senior year.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:40 AM, UNTLifer said:

Julius Combes

You have to love the crack staff running the meangreensports.com website.  In the pictures from yesterday's practice they have a picture of our returning leading rusher, RB Jeremy Wilson.  Great job guys and great job Mr./Mrs. Editor.

Combes is my defensive sleeper.

On offense I am going to go with Silver's pick, Daniel Khan.  There always seems to be a slot receiver that ends up putting up big numbers in this type of offensive system.

• 4 months later...
On 3/22/2016 at 5:06 PM, MGNation92 said:

O'Keeron Rutherford.

Tall, fast. If he can learn to use his body he will be the ideal outside receiver for this offense.

O/U 35 Rec 400 yds and 6 TD

5 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Bump.

A lot of new faces, a lot of gone faces. Change your mind? 

From the scrimmage and practice reports I stand by my prediction, although it might be higher at this point. Rutherford has been tearing it up

On 3/23/2016 at 10:56 AM, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Finney needs to be that player that forces on the outside run and covers the flats.  Unleash this kid let him fly around.  Very little responsibility, just funnel the run back inside and go make plays.

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hearing great things about Finney!

Im just saying!!!!

On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 8:39 AM, UNT90 said:

Doubtful. My flags will fly in distress until Rick Villarreal is fired.

That's if I'm at the tailgate. 

And this is a 3 win team. Tops. A lot of people are going to be disappointed when SMU comes to town. 

I'll most likely make the SMU game, either buying at the gate or getting one of the many free tickets that normally float around our tailgate (see a problem there?). After that, who knows. Depends on if I have anything better to do. 

Boom! RV gone, loose the 90!

• Upvote 1