Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

How long will students put up with paying for nothing?


UNT90
 Share

Recommended Posts

With UNT students having the student fee increased while UNT fails at every major athletic sport, how long until the students demand not to pay for athletics anymore? A bad football season this year and I think you see a student led campaign to discontinue the athletics fee. I may be mistaken, but I think since it was voted in place by students, it can be voted out. Maybe @UNTflyer can shed some light. 

That will kill UNT athletics, and will be the legacy of Neal Smatresk and Rick Villarreal. 

Watch and see.

  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I were a student I'd vote against the athletic fee. The president has proven he doesn't care about athletics by not firing RV. RV has done all he is capable of doing at UNT. There just isn't any accountability at UNT. The football & basketball teams actually hurt the university by failure & embarrassment. It destroys the perception of our school. I'm just so tired of it. I'm mad and don't know if I'll bother going to any football or basketball games unless changes occur. If the university doesn't care at all then why should alumni?

  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suggested it in another thread, but what needs to happen is a demonstration on the steps of the athletics department. It would be better if it were led by students. It would give the media something to cover and put a big ole huge spotlight on the retention of Tony Benford, something that Rick Villarreal and Neal Smatresk definitely don't want. 

If someone does it, they should do it right. Get permits to be where you are going to be, even if that is in the parking lot. 

Sadly, attendance indicates that no one gives enough of a damn to do this, and @flyonthewall and his merry band of 17 will protect their little friend all the way to the bitter end of major athletics at UNT.,

Fly was right. He tried to tell us. It most certainly is #allajoke, and the joke is on anyone who puts any money or time into this Craphole of an AD.

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I suggested it in another thread, but what needs to happen is a demonstration on the steps of the athletics department. It would be better if it were led by students. It would give the media something to cover and put a big ole huge spotlight on the retention of Tony Benford, something that Rick Villarreal and Neal Smatresk definitely don't want. 

If someone does it, they should do it right. Get permits to be where you are going to be, even if that is in the parking lot. 

Sadly, attendance indicates that no one gives enough of a damn to do this, and @flyonthewall and his merry band of 17 will protect their little friend all the way to the bitter end of major athletics at UNT.,

Fly was right. He tried to tell us. It most certainly is #allajoke, and the joke is on anyone who puts any money or time into this Craphole of an AD.

Hey, Craphole is reserved for UTSA subject matter. Lets keep our posts consistent.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

Hey, Craphole is reserved for UTSA subject matter. Lets keep our posts consistent.

Actually, UNT is much more of a craphole at this point than UTSA.

UNT has every reason to fire DMac FOR CAUSE but instead pays him $3 million to avoid embarrassment for Rick Villarreal. Plus, Rick Villarreal would have had the forethought to document those violations meticulously. Does anyone think he could ever do that under any circumstances? 

So yes, UNT has stolen your name from me. 

So... Sorry?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've been an advocate for aggressively, unilaterally raising the student athletic fee to its legal maximum for quite some time without any though of whether it does any good or benefits the students.

And you've been nearly as vocal about how you do t feel it's right to make the current students foot the bill to the extent they are doing so.

So, win?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've been an advocate for aggressively, unilaterally raising the student athletic fee to its legal maximum for quite some time without any though of whether it does any good or benefits the students.

I have been. Under the extremely misguided assumption that UNT would do its part to provide a valued service for that fee.

What is clear now is that will never, ever happen at UNT. UNT isn't and never will be committed to a successful athletic program, and if UNT refuses to do their part, the students shouldn't be forced to carry a heavy burden with zero return on student investment.

I predict a student initiative will begin as soon as next year to do away with the fee.

And I don't blame them one bit. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, all NT needs is for disgruntled fans to lead a student revolt against the funding of athletes.  That would solve your problems I guess, no NT scholarship athletic program.  

Few fans are left that support the current AD, however the total destruction of the athletic program is no answer.  

 

Uh, what do you think is happening to the athletic program now?

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

'90 has morphed his hatred of RV into a hatred of all things UNT.  Sad.

What's sad is shills like you accepting crap from UNT athletics and not holding someone responsible for doing their job because you think he is a nice guy. 

You and everyone like you is what is wrong with UNT athletics.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

Uh, what do you think is happening to the athletic program now?

We have programs that are doing fine -- Soccer, Softball, Track. Yeah, they're not sexy like Football and Basketball but they aren't trolling the bottom like some programs currently are.

You kill the athletic fee and suddenly college athletics at North Texas is in danger of extinction.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

We have programs that are doing fine -- Soccer, Softball, Track. Yeah, they're not sexy like Football and Basketball but they aren't trolling the bottom like some programs currently are.

You kill the athletic fee and suddenly college athletics at North Texas is in danger of extinction.

And that is what will happen, but you will still have your valued friendship with Rick Villarreal, so there is that...

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Uh, what do you think is happening to the athletic program now?

 

4 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Uh, what do you think is happening to the athletic program now?

I will tell you, I think NT is suffering under the leadership of a man that I was against back in the Dickey days, way before it was popular.  But I am still a fan of NT and hope teams actually do well despite RV.  

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

We have programs that are doing fine -- Soccer, Softball, Track. Yeah, they're not sexy like Football and Basketball but they aren't trolling the bottom like some programs currently are.

You kill the athletic fee and suddenly college athletics at North Texas is in danger of extinction.

Soccer sure, but you might want to look into the softball record before you say they are doing fine. Track, uh, are they good?

20 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

 

I will tell you, I think NT is suffering under the leadership of a man that I was against back in the Dickey days, way before it was popular.  But I am still a fan of NT and hope teams actually do well despite RV.  

I can respect that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching video of the Athletic Director formally introducing the current basketball coach, the previous football coach, and the new football coach at press conferences is a revealing microcosmic view of UNT's athletics. Since I am hearing impaired, I rely a great deal on body language and the overwhelming thought I have had each time has been how uncomfortable the AD is with the process. Of course that makes the entire moment take on an amateurish atmosphere. The awkward moments and nervous fake laughter have been embarrassing at best. It's such a telling moment.

Edited by Greenrex
Allergies and flatulence
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Soccer sure, but you might want to look into the softball record before you say they are doing fine. Track, uh, are they good?

Softball record:

Record: 15-11 Home: 8-4 Away: 3-4 Neutral: 4-3 C-USA: 1-5

They're not killing it in conference play right now but there are currently above the .500 mark, which is more than what our Men's Basketball team can say.

Indoor Track and Field:

Men - Finished 4th (out of 10 teams) in the conference tournament

Women - Finished 4th (out of 10 teams) in the conference tournament

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Softball record:

Record: 15-11 Home: 8-4 Away: 3-4 Neutral: 4-3 C-USA: 1-5

They're not killing it in conference play right now but there are currently above the .500 mark, which is more than what our Men's Basketball team can say.

Indoor Track and Field:

Men - Finished 4th (out of 10 teams) in the conference tournament

Women - Finished 4th (out of 10 teams) in the conference tournament

They were 19-31 last year and 11-12 in conference play.

It may be semantics, but awful winning percentage last season and below .500 conference play last year and (so far) this year isn't what I would characterize as doing 'fine'.

Track 4th in conference would be 'fine', IMO.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Softball record:

Record: 15-11 Home: 8-4 Away: 3-4 Neutral: 4-3 C-USA: 1-5

They're not killing it in conference play right now but there are currently above the .500 mark, which is more than what our Men's Basketball team can say.

Indoor Track and Field:

Men - Finished 4th (out of 10 teams) in the conference tournament

Women - Finished 4th (out of 10 teams) in the conference tournament

It's bad enough that you use these sports to defend RV, but you then turn around and call mediocrity success. 

Typical.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.