Benford to return next year

UNT90

16 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I think that we'll have a 20 win roster next season.  The problem is that we seem to have a 10 win coach. 

RV, if you can't afford to buyout the fifth year of a losing coach, then only sign him for four.

Let's make this clear. Money wasn't the issue. RV is too prideful and egotistical to admit failure, and this failure would have been COMPLETELY on him. 

This is about protecting RV's job. Always has been, always will be. RV should have been fired after 66-7, but his buddies Fly, Ernie, and some other donors provided cover for him. So we are left with sure failure in basketball next year and a new football coach that has to put up with the biggest ass clown in college athletics. 

Its stunnjng, and it's why Craphole UNT will never be anything else as long as RV is here.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Too busy protecting his little kingdom at UNT, most likely. 

He was never going to fire Benford. That would mean accepting responsibility for his own failures. The Hattiesburg Hustler will never do that. Ever. 

When RV finally has the courage to address this, Look for comparisons to JJ taking 6 years to turn this around. Look for excuses. Look for basically everything that is in Cooley's post on the other thread. 

You hit that one exactly on the head!

GMG

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Let's make this clear. Money wasn't the issue. RV is too prideful and egotistical to admit failure, and this failure would have been COMPLETELY on him. 

This is about protecting RV's job. Always has been, always will be. RV should have been fired after 66-7, but his buddies Fly, Ernie, and some other donors provided cover for him. So we are left with sure failure in basketball next year and a new football coach that has to put up with the biggest ass clown in college athletics. 

Its stunnjng, and it's why Craphole UNT will never be anything else as long as RV is here.

I share in your frustration but let's be real clear here -. Money is always the issue at North Texas.  Benford has one year left in his contract to my understanding, so that is $350k plus assistants etc,   They owe Mac 2 million or thereabouts and it doesn't appear he will take another job so they will owe him every dime of that.  That's's the biggest buyout in the history of UNT.  So money was certainly  a component of this decision as it always is.

FYI a precedent for this was the Dodge 4th year.  There was NO reason to extend Dodge a 4th year other than they knew they would need money to offer a competitive package for Mac.  This seems very similar to that to me.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I share in your frustration but let's be real clear here -. Money is always the issue at North Texas.  Benford has one year left in his contract to my understanding, so that is $350k plus assistants etc,   They owe Mac 2 million or thereabouts and it doesn't appear he will take another job so they will owe him every dime of that.  That's's the biggest buyout in the history of UNT.  So money was certainly  a component of this decision as it always is.

I'm sorry, but if NT athletics is out of money because it has to fund so many buyouts, we need someone else captaining the ship.

3 hours ago, Travis said:

That's the thing... even if he had a winning season, I don't see how we could give him an extension given what he did.  This is a lose lose situation.  

I swear... only at unt.

You seriously think he gets let go after a winning season when he's been retained after 4 straight losing seasons against D1 competition?

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

FYI a precedent for this was the Dodge 4th year.  There was NO reason to extend Dodge a 4th year other than they knew they would need money to offer a competitive package for Mac.  This seems very similar to that to me.

Dodge getting Year 4 was precedent for Benford getting Year 4. 

This is a fucking disgrace. I've never been more disgusted with my university or it's athletics programs and leadership, which is really saying something. 

I think this is the ballgame for me. I really think this is the flashing billboard telling me to pack it up and find better ways to spend my time and attention. 

10 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

You seriously think he gets let go after a winning season when he's been retained after 4 straight losing seasons against D1 competition?

A condition of being retained was that he enroll IMMEDIATELY in an online coaching course from Capella and complete it with at least a grade of "C" by October 1, 2016. Failure to win 10 games (at least 3 of them in CUSA) or more means no 5-year extension.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I seriously think he should be let go even if he has a winning season. If he is 17-15. That should not grant him another year. 

THIS JUST IN! Benford was on the 10:00 P.M. news. When asked if he was excited when he got the message that he would be allowed to coach UNT for another season, this is what he said:

200.gif

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If UNT can't do 350k for the last year of a guy that has completely destroyed their basketball program, they should just drop the F down to FCS and accept crap athletics.  That's basically what they are now, anyway.

Whoa, Dude!  Dropping down to FCS would mean going against SFA, UTA, Sam Houston, UALR, etc., on a regular basis.  Doubt we could compete with the current staff.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Benford has guided us to many memorable wins including beating La Tech this year.  Man, that was one to put in the history books.  And do not forget, he will havema chance to add to that earth shattering win next year.  Me, I will follow SFA.  RV not even speaking about this is the definition of chicken shit.  He should be the leader of this department, but does nothing but exhibit leaderless skills.  I will follow the football program, will not renew my MGC membership and will give to my family's scholarship only.  Tickets will be easy to come by at Apogee.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, UNT90 said:

And the students have a great argument because they are getting jack shit for their $11 a semester hour fee. That is who needs to do something about thus. All 10 of them that attend UNT basketball games...

That's a strong argument. I'd wager that arguing the players deserve something for their part in addition to their scholarships. They're not practicing, going to tape views, meetings, sustaining injury and everything else just to be coached to lose. They deserve a coach that'll match their efforts and Benford isn't that coach. Maybe somewhere else, but not here, not with this group of players.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Benford has guided us to many memorable wins including beating La Tech this year.  Man, that was one to put in the history books.  And do not forget, he will havema chance to add to that earth shattering win next year.  Me, I will follow SFA.  RV not even speaking about this is the definition of chicken shit.  He should be the leader of this department, but does nothing but exhibit leaderless skills.  I will follow the football program, will not renew my MGC membership and will give to my family's scholarship only.  Tickets will be easy to come by at Apogee.

For anyone new to the site this is not the way lifer used to talk about athletics here.

It's a bit shocking, not as shocking as if Kram posted something like this, but shocking that we've come to this.

• Upvote 2

I have always given credit to RV for finally being an AD that provided our student athletes with the facilities they deserved, but he has worn out his welcome.  To top off his recent failures with the obvious lack of direction in the department, the continuous problems I had renewing my MGC membership the last few years only to have KRA, appreciated but not his job, step in and make some calls to correct the issue and the lack of a service mentality in the ticket office with no obvious sense of urgency to correct these issues by refusing to return your beat writer's phone calls regarding the status of the Men's Head Basketball Coach points to a leaderless department and an unprofessional AD.  He has gone from addressing his most hardcore fans by posting on here, usually returning calls and emails in a timely manner and playing "Lil' Jerrah" by standing on the field during games to burying his head in the sand or holing up in his bunker on Bonnie Brae.  Why Smatresk and the BOR put up with this is beyond me, but I am done with it.  Add to this the multiple lies, poor scheduling after being told Apogee would allow an improvement in this area, zero quarterly meetings for the MGC that he promised, etc.... has soured me on the one team I truly follow.

As stated, I will see how Littrell does and make some games this year, but giving to this AD under RV's direction is done as are my football season tickets.

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, Harry said:

Sounds like a shitty administrative job. Seems like the person holding the reigns should be canned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, rcade said:

As I predicted, RV has protected himself from more scrutiny by avoiding two coach firings in one year.

3 coaches? Ok maybe a little over 12 months. 

What a trifecta it would be! Jalie, Seth, and ____.

But alas we'll have to wait.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:33 PM, TheTastyGreek said:

Dodge getting Year 4 was precedent for Benford getting Year 4. 

This is a fucking disgrace. I've never been more disgusted with my university or it's athletics programs and leadership, which is really saying something. 

I think this is the ballgame for me. I really think this is the flashing billboard telling me to pack it up and find better ways to spend my time and attention. 

TTG,

Its been real, man. You've always been my favorite poster on this site. I hope that you'll stay connected to the university's ridiculousness thru this website, only because it helps to have others to laugh with. I really do feel bad for you--you fully believed that the university would rectify the situation in basketball, only to see Bumford get another chance for 4 years in a row, without ever having a winning season. I know how much that burns you up--and many of us don't blame you. Just hate it when anyone has to come to the realization that winning in revenue sports doesn't matter one iota to the leadership here. But that said, keep posting here and laughing at the situation. Its kind of cathartic...

untjim

• Upvote 2

Here is just a guess.... I wonder if President NS is just letting RV finish out his contract and then will look to move on. I wonder if RV has been told this, and is basically doing the same here on out with his own staff.  

how else can you explain the indifference?!?!?!?!!!?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Here is just a guess.... I wonder if President NS is just letting RV finish out his contract and then will look to move on. I wonder if RV has been told this, and is basically doing the same here on out with his own staff.  

how else can you explain the indifference?!?!?!?!!!?

Decades of apathy would be my first answer...