Benford to return next year

UNT90

7 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Hiring Gillespie would give us instant cred and probably wouldn't cost that much either. I wonder if RV knew he was at Ranger?

That would imply that he cares or was concerned about justifying his continued employment.  Given what has happened over the last 16 months why would he be?  He has the right people backing him so he can do whatever he wants as long as its in budget and legal.  At this point I would not be surprised if RV got an extension next year if Seth got the team close to .500.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

23 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Hiring Gillespie would give us instant cred and probably wouldn't cost that much either. I wonder if RV knew he was at Ranger?

Too busy protecting his little kingdom at UNT, most likely. 

He was never going to fire Benford. That would mean accepting responsibility for his own failures. The Hattiesburg Hustler will never do that. Ever. 

When RV finally has the courage to address this, Look for comparisons to JJ taking 6 years to turn this around. Look for excuses. Look for basically everything that is in Cooley's post on the other thread. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

We suck. It's well documented that we do. I'm not attending another game until both RV and Benford are out. I'm completely through with UNT basketball. I don't understand how anyone that is not related to a player, cheerleader, or band member can go stomach any more of this. Even being a player parent would be hard to absorb. I get the idea of going to support the kids and the university and that's great and all. But eventually the commoners have to make a stand by forcing the team to play in a completely empty pit. I hope that's what takes place next season. Pin drop silence. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Will make another season I won't attend a game.

I have found enjoyable things to do in the late fall and early spring for the last four years. This will make it five.

For example, the Dallas Symphony has a 16-concert Pops series with a little Classical thrown in (saw a great Beatles tribute band two weeks ago, Celtic music with a Grammy-winning fiddler last week, Beethoven comes to town next week and Chris Botti comes in next month). You can get a 16-concert subscription package for two with secure underground parking and great seats in a world-class concert hall for less than $1,000...all in. Oh, and they have great customer service.

Edited by EagleMBA
add
  • Upvote 6

I hate to say this but I will not be giving to the MGC this year.  I will instead donate to another cause or the CAS.  I can't stand that RV is such a chickenshit and can get away with this chickenshit move.

They all need to go from RV down to the MGC coordinator. Get people affiliated with our school and alumni put in place and help elevate this program to the heights it deserves.  

The basketball program has been completely decimated.  The results from Benford would have been unacceptable from any self respecting program even if he had taken over for Trilli. The fact that he took over a successful program that was trending up from Jones makes it even worse. 

We know from the Dan McCarney experiment that even one year of moderate success will result in a brand new 5-year deal.  So when we go 17-15 next year with one win in the conference tourney, just get ready for that buyout to jump back over $1 million.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:
20 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Bad news such as this also hamstrings the efforts of other programs and their coaches such as  Littrell and Mitchell.  

Rick

The Benford Effect !

200.gif

• Upvote 2

I know people get tired of all the RV bashing on this board, but when he does stupid crap like this, I can understand why it doesn't stop.

Protesting seems to be the trendy thing to do these days. Any of you current students feel like protesting the admin building and calling on Smatresk to do his job and fire both RV and Benford? If you do, get a permit.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

The basketball program has been completely decimated.  The results from Benford would have been unacceptable from any self respecting program even if he had taken over for Trilli. The fact that he took over a successful program that was trending up from Jones makes it even worse. 

We know from the Dan McCarney experiment that even one year of moderate success will result in a brand new 5-year deal.  So when we go 17-15 next year with one win in the conference tourney, just get ready for that buyout to jump back over $1 million.

That's the thing... even if he had a winning season, I don't see how we could give him an extension given what he did.  This is a lose lose situation.  

I swear... only at unt.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

I know people get tired of all the RV bashing on this board, but when he does stupid crap like this, I can understand why it doesn't stop.

Protesting seems to be the trendy thing to do these days. Any of you current students feel like protesting the admin building and calling on Smatresk to do his job and fire both RV and Benford? If you do, get a permit.

And the students have a great argument because they are getting jack shit for their $11 a semester hour fee. That is who needs to do something about thus. All 10 of them that attend UNT basketball games...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

As I predicted, RV has protected himself from more scrutiny by avoiding two coach firings in one year.

Poor Littrell. If he can win in this organizational culture of dismal failure he's the greatest coach who ever donned Sansabelt shorts.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1