Rick V Responds to the Daily

Cerebus

Praise about how well the UT defense did and how poor their offense was in the second half. There was nothing as to why except that the UT offense couldnt get it together.

I think that you will find this is a national trend. It's unfortunate, but NT is considered the fluke here. UT has proven themselves over the years. Unfortunantly, on a D1 level NT has not. I am sure you will see a change if we do well this season against major opponents.

CNBC has more useless BS than any thing I have ever seen they follow whatever is hot at the moment. I saw a study recently that looked at Money Mags top mutual fund picks for a 5 yr period if you bought when they said buy you lost money(in a good mkt at the time) if you did the opposite of what they said you beat the market.

I thought Rick's letter was perfect.

It had just the right touch of letting

them know the article just really

didn't belong on the paper (which

it didn't) without being too high-handed.

And I know a little bit about the NT Daily.

I worked on staff there for a semester back

in the 1980's in the John Vahlencamp days.

I feel like I earned the right to say what

I want to about the paper, although folks

felt free to criticize us all the time. Part

of working there is taking the heat for

what you put out. It's a great learning experience.

When I worked

there, I felt like I could write whatever

I wanted to. We got paid, but no one ever

told us we couldn't run an article we wanted to.

This was in the pre-historic days before

they opened it up to classified advertising.

The staff changes every

semester, but I thought it was a good

college newspaper. You learn a lot from

working there. I wonder if they still

have "Slash".

If fair and ballanced is not publishing an article about a player that we just played, I would be hostile too.

One of the more provocative things that Mr. Limbaugh says is that he IS the balance. I think that I view a college paper that way. I do not believe that they should be a mouth piece for the University, there are other publications that do that, but they should be an advocate for the University. That does not mean that they have to agree with the Administration or with the AD, but I think they have a moral responsibility to advocate the organization that they are part of. (How does a journalist write that sentence without ending in a preposition or is that allowed now? For someone married to a grammar teacher my grammar could sure use some work)

I see college paper's role much like what I see in small town newspapers all over the country. They are hometown folks and they are always for the home team athletics or otherwise. I didn't see that attitude from the NT Daily last year, and to me that is not a good journalism education. Correct me if I'm wrong.

but I think they have a moral responsibility to advocate the organization that they are part of.

But I think they have a moral responsibility to advocate the organization of which they are a part.

This may be true at lesser journalism schools. But I think what you have to keep in mind is that while the Daily has the circulation of a hometown newspaper, they don't think like one. The department produces stellar journalists (despite what some may think). They have produced several Pulitzer winners. Howard Swindle, and Steve Blow both attended NT.

The class I graduated with is now working at the New Orleans Times Picayune, San Antonio News Express, Dallas Morning News, Fort Worth Star Telegram, Providence Journal and of course The Times. Not to mention several at mid sized papers.

The attitude is different and these students are training for the highest journalism posts they can attain. They are pushed to look above the hometown newspapers. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but most strive higher. Also, that doens't mean that everyoneon the Daily staff is of this caliber. But that is what they are pushed to attain.

Its hard to explain, but it is just a different mind set.

I think they are an advocate for the University. I just think that sometimes the University community disagrees about what is best for everyone involved.

Seeya,

• Harry unlocked this topic

So basically nothing has changed on the board or in UNT fandom in general in the last 14+ years...

​I don't know about that, in 2002 we only had 5 home games, and one of those was a terrible 1AA team.  

14 years later we only have 5 home games, and one of these is a terrible FCS team.

• Upvote 5

​I don't know about that, in 2002 we only had 5 home games, and one of those was a terrible 1AA team.

14 years later we only have 5 home games, and one of these is a terrible FCS team.

​Actually, this year's FCS team isn't too bad, from what I understand...so we have that going for us!! #soldoutApogee

• Upvote 1

Weird seeing Firefighting all positive and such.  We need that fan back. 

Just say no to the victimhood plaguing the USA.  Make it happen Smastrek.  Bring back the zealots and get the Mean Green Machine rolling again!

GMG

• Upvote 2

I thought Rick's letter was perfect.

It had just the right touch of letting

them know the article just really

didn't belong on the paper (which

it didn't) without being too high-handed.

And I know a little bit about the NT Daily.

I worked on staff there for a semester back

in the 1980's in the John Vahlencamp days.

I feel like I earned the right to say what

I want to about the paper, although folks

felt free to criticize us all the time. Part

of working there is taking the heat for

what you put out. It's a great learning experience.

When I worked

there, I felt like I could write whatever

I wanted to. We got paid, but no one ever

told us we couldn't run an article we wanted to.

This was in the pre-historic days before

they opened it up to classified advertising.

The staff changes every

semester, but I thought it was a good

college newspaper. You learn a lot from

working there. I wonder if they still

have "Slash".

It's funny you mention my uncle. John Vahlenkamp says hi! We are eating at the CFA in Longmont as I am typing. He is now the managing editor for the paper here and keeps up with the sports. He loved his time at the daily.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1