MGB: Littrell talks QB race heading into spring

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Impressed with Shanbour huh? These guys are better than I realized.......................................?

Of course, keeping Chumley in the mix at QB and not giving Dillman a chance......that's concerning.

I think this speaks more to Dillman and Chumley's characters than anything else. The goal is probably to give chumley a fair shot and if it doesn't work out, give him the opportunity to change positions or stay burried on the depth chart. Dillman doesn't need to be the star he just wants to play.

7 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

I actually agree with every word of that article, including the not so subtle hint that Shanbour isn't really six feet tall. I have no problem with that at all, at least until someone does the "stand next to test" and reports that he's actually a dwarf.

Someone?!?!?!?!?

I don't think you understand how this works, sir!!!!!!11!!!11!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

SilverEagle who has the best arm  and quickest release on the roster that you have seen. I am looking forward to Spring Ball and see the competition at QB. I think this is wide open and the best QB will be chosen by this staff . I don't think height , weight or scholarship will matter in there decision process. I wonder what Dillman thinks ? I think he wants to play and this is the fastest way for him to get on the field.  I really think we are going to find out that we have some talent on this team that just needed to be coached and given the chance to succeed. We will all get to find out in the next 4 weeks whether we have a good QB or not. I really don't think that this will be a weakness next year. I think coach Littrell already has a good idea what he has and what he is going to do . I also believe that we will have a good backup QB next year. I can also see us possible using 2 QBs next year given certain circumstances on the field. I am not surprised that DS left the squad- I actually called it . These coaches are on the right track with righting this ship. Still plenty of room for everybody to jump on this train. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Many forget that Shanbour had a scholarship offer to play quarterback at Colorado before Jon Embree got fired and Littrell had his eye on Shanbour while Littrell was at Indiana. Shanbour also spent some time in Stillwater with Mike Gundy. His major faults with the last regime were that he was too short and not from Iowa. I wouldn't trust the last staff's quarterback assessments for a high school JV team. I'm looking forward to seeing what Shanbour can do with some real reps under a staff that understands quarterback talent is not solely measured by height or family relationships.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

"The win came at a perfect time for UNT, which won’t play again until hosing Memphis on April 1. "

Should definitely be the biggest home crowd of the season!

• Upvote 3

Shanbour has had a lot of love from the gmg.com board over the past couple years, though I'll admit it may be the intrigue that we don't know anything about him and haven't had the chance to be disappointed.

On 3/4/2014 at 7:22 PM, Christopher Walker said:
  • #19 - Shanbour: holy. cow. though undersized, he's got the absolute tightest, quickest, and most consistent throwing motion out of the group
On 3/6/2014 at 11:54 PM, Harry said:

The other two guys are Quinn Shanbour a transfer from Oklahoma State and Josh Cousins a transfer from Northeastern Oklahoma. Both have lively arms. I could certainly see that Shanbour has a quick release, actually one of the quickest I have seen. Both are south of 6-foot which is likely why they are walking on to this program. I saw some nice throws in drills. Shanbour has excellent footwork on the cones and seems to be pretty quick on his feet. I didn't get to see as much out of Cousins. Both are as quality a walk-on candidates as this program has seen. I like the fact that both could very likely push the scholarship players.

On 3/4/2014 at 2:12 AM, SilverEagle said:

19. Shanbour. The shortest but the best of the lot. I haven't seen a quick release like his since Steve Ramsey. It almost looks like he's throwing side-arm it's so fast. And the trajectory is flat (Scott Hall his freshman year flat). Only DW comes close as far as the speed of the pass. I only saw him in passing drills. For some reason when they were running the two minutes at the end of the practice, Shanbour followed on the sidelines and sent in signals to the QB's. So I didn't get to see how he moves around.

On 7/9/2014 at 0:32 PM, Aldo Avina said:

Quinn Shanbour - Intriguing, RB-sized. Couldn't find a whole lot about this guy. Love his quick release. Quickest out of all these guys. Mechanics above the waist is solid, below the waist is non existent, at least in a lot of his Hudl tape. Keeps the ball too low, if it were higher, his release would be quicker. Calm, scans the field well and his head goes through the progressions 50% of the time. The rest he locks on to one player or tucks and runs. Throws the deep and intermediate ball well. Short passes are good, sometimes behind. Was asked to run a lot. He's quick with some moves, but doesn't look as fast as Means. Protects the ball like JFF during scrambles. This guy is exciting to watch on tape. Fairly accurate with some zip, and can run it up the middle on the outside during a zone read. Different kind of QB than the rest, it feels.

On 3/11/2015 at 10:22 PM, greenit said:

Shanbour - Did not participate in 11 on 11 so did not get to evaluate with active linemen rushing him. Of the drills he participated in, I would say he looked the most impressive. He seemed to be the smallest of the QBs. Maybe the same height as Wells, but not the girth. Strong, accurate arm. Kept the ball down. Looked very good in the WR vs DB drills where there were 3 or 4 WR in the pattern. Picked apart the defense in the drill. Quickest release of the QBs I saw today. Canales had him (only him) signalling plays during the 11 on 11. He was coaching up some of the new guys (Chumley for example) during the drills when they didn't know what to do. Showing leadership.

On 3/11/2015 at 2:07 AM, SilverEagle said:

I was there as well and sat with a couple of guys who were doing QB evaluations at the request of the coaching staff. One of them described himself as a volunteer coach. He knew all the QB's except for Chumley. He confirmed what I observed last spring and what greenit has observed at today's practice about Shanbour. And that is that he has the quickest release of any of the QB's and he added that he throws one of the hardest passes out there. So I asked the volunteer coach the obvious question, "why has he been on the sideline all this time?" . The answer, turf toe. Sanbour has been battling turf toe for the last two years, and if he's completely healed, he is minimally going to push the rest of the pack to perform at a higher level. The volunteer coach added that Shanbour is constantly helping the other QB's with their techniques and reads. Supposedly, Shanbour is the smartest QB out there. In the drills that greenit described above Shanbour threw an absolute laser on a 20-30 yard crossing pattern, hitting the (well covered) WR in stride.

And then Vito comes along and squashes our dreams

I’m sure Shanbour has talent, but the chances a walk-on, 6-foot tall quarterback shows up, sets the world on fire, vaults past a returning starter and three scholarship recruits and leads UNT to a bounce-back season are not just small – they’re minuscule.

So if he at least gets a scholarship, I'd be ok with that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Fan 92 said:

SilverEagle who has the best arm  and quickest release on the roster that you have seen. I am looking forward to Spring Ball and see the competition at QB. I think this is wide open and the best QB will be chosen by this staff . I don't think height , weight or scholarship will matter in there decision process. I wonder what Dillman thinks ? I think he wants to play and this is the fastest way for him to get on the field.  I really think we are going to find out that we have some talent on this team that just needed to be coached and given the chance to succeed. We will all get to find out in the next 4 weeks whether we have a good QB or not. I really don't think that this will be a weakness next year. I think coach Littrell already has a good idea what he has and what he is going to do . I also believe that we will have a good backup QB next year. I can also see us possible using 2 QBs next year given certain circumstances on the field. I am not surprised that DS left the squad- I actually called it . These coaches are on the right track with righting this ship. Still plenty of room for everybody to jump on this train. 

Love the PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) you provide.....Keep it up

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Many forget that Shanbour had a scholarship offer to play quarterback at Colorado before Jon Embree got fired and Littrell had his eye on Shabour while Littrell was at Indiana. Shanbour also spent some time in Stillwater with Mike Gundy. His major faults with the last regime were that he was too short and not from Iowa.

Daddy knows best.....

Dan-McCarney-Chris-Graythen-Getty-Images

• Upvote 1