Both Rick Villarreal and Tony Benford should be fired

UNT90

8 minutes ago, wardly said:

"Beam me up Scotty. There is no sign of intelligent life here." Captain James Kirk, Starship Enterprise.

"B-T-Dubbs, Scotty, could I borrow some money? Uhura isn't translating as well as she should be, but we can't fire her without paying out the rest of her contract. Don't tell Spock since he hired her plzkthx. Kirk out."

49 minutes ago, wardly said:

"Beam me up Scotty. There is no sign of intelligent life here." Captain James Kirk, Starship Enterprise.

You are correct if you are talking about the UNT AD.

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

I mean gotta draw the line somewhere.

Over $3 million dollars in total buyouts is about enough, right?

RV is good at raising money, though.

So good that he can't even raise enough to buy off his own terrible hires.

If RV cared about UNT, he would have resigned to spare what is happening at this very moment. He doesn't. He cares about collecting a check. And the University of Southern Mississippi. Just check his donation level to each program. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

On 3/10/2016 at 2:21 PM, UNT90 said:

You are correct if you are talking about the UNT AD.

So good that he can't even raise enough to buy off his own terrible hires.

If RV cared about UNT, he would have resigned to spare what is happening at this very moment. He doesn't. He cares about collecting a check. And the University of Southern Mississippi. Just check his donation level to each program. 

What does he donate to each? 

I'm in total agreement about RV. If he gave a damn about UNT he'd resign. I've never seen our athletics this bad. It's an embarrassment. We are a university pushing 40,000 students and our athletics are outlandishly pathetic except for women's sports. Especially soccer. 

I wish I could share publicly some of the stories I have about how RV is dropping the ball but I can't. We probably have the worst relations in the NCAA when it comes to ex-players and the the Athletic department. They pretty much make everyone feel unwelcome. Not just players either, ex coaches are saying it. And it's 100 percent RV's culture he's created. Letterman from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90, and 00s are currently getting together and fund raising for various things and it's totally unaffiliated with the university because the athletic department is an absolute joke.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I'm in total agreement about RV. If he gave a damn about UNT he'd resign. I've never seen our athletics this bad. It's an embarrassment. We are a university pushing 40,000 students and our athletics are outlandishly pathetic except for women's sports. Especially soccer. 

I wish I could share publicly some of the stories I have about how RV is dropping the ball but I can't. We probably have the worst relations in the NCAA when it comes to ex-players and the the Athletic department. They pretty much make everyone feel unwelcome. Not just players either, ex coaches are saying it. And it's 100 percent RV's culture he's created. Letterman from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90, and 00s are currently getting together and fund raising for various things and it's totally unaffiliated with the university because the athletic department is an absolute joke.

Please let us know who their contact person is so that many of us on the board can send them a contribution and/or gift of volunteer time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Careful, because Rick Villarreal will absolutely take credit for everything that you guys accomplish on your own. 

I do know that there were between 7-9 teams total at the lettermen's golf tournament last year, and that most of the talk was about the terrible job Rick Villarreal was doing as Athletic Director. 

But Rick Villarreal is too busy protecting his own job and manipulating the right people to be concerned with the details of actually doing his job.

Easiest paycheck in America. 

Oh, and to answer your question about RV's donation levels, someone posted both schools numbers a while back. Don't quote me, but I remember RV giving about $35k to USM while giving 5k to UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

At almost every other school in the country people who work in athletics get fired (sometimes too quick) for poor performance.

How can you be terrible at your job for 15+ years and not get fired?

The university that you work for doesn't give a crap about athletics, that's how. RV comes I under budget, which is all UNT cares about.

The KRAMS and Flys of this board can deny that all they want, but the proof is in actions, not words, and UNT has casually stood by and watched RV run athletics into the ground. That is the biggest demonstration of don't give a shit that a university could show.

Jim is right. If you want to donate to UNT, you would be smarter to donate to the music department, the accounting department, or some department that the university actually cares about. It doesn't care about the athletic department. And it demonstrates such by every day that Rick Villarreal sits in the AD chair.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3