Both Rick Villarreal and Tony Benford should be fired

UNT90

While I don't go camping with Rick, I do consider him a friend.That doesn't mean I am being manipulated by either him or you. However, if you check my posts, I think that you will find that they are mainly focused on being able to express an opinion different that you or your son's without childish bull shit in return.What will happen to Rick will happen regardless of how much we  huff and puff. I don't see why you don't go directly to our President , Board Chairman, or Chancellor with your complaints in order to effect the changes you want as unless I am missing something I can't see anything being accomplished by your posts on this board other than guys getting into pissing contests.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 6

28 minutes ago, wardly said:

While I don't go camping with Rick, I do consider him a friend.That doesn't mean I am being manipulated by either him or you. However, if you check my posts, I think that you will find that they are mainly focused on being able to express an opinion different that you or your son's without childish bull shit in return.What will happen to Rick will happen regardless of how much we  huff and puff. I don't see why you don't go directly to our President , Board Chairman, or Chancellor with your complaints in order to effect the changes you want as unless I am missing something I can't see anything being accomplished by your posts on this board other than guys getting into pissing contests.

I have gone directly to Smatresk. Many of us have. He called us a "minute few." He even gave some of our letters directly to Rick Villarreal. 

And you may not like it, but I absolutely think your friendship with Rick Villarreal has colored your perception of his job performance as AD. And I also think he has worked to make sure that occurred. No one likes to hear they have been manipulated, and no one will accepted it. What they do is counter accuse, name call, and double down on the person that manipulated them. It's funny that this is exactly what has happened on this very board. There is a reason it's called a confidence game, and it's clear RV still has your confidence. That confidence causes you to either not look at or ignore evidence. All confidence scams fall apart quickly under scrutiny, because the confidence has been lost. 

I just hope you open your eyes soon and aren't dumping large sums of cash into the Ponzi scheme known as UNT athletics. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I graduated in 66', and began making a small financial contribution to the athletic department in 67'. I have seen the worst and the best of Presidents,Athletic Directors, and Coaches but  continued giving at an increased level as was affordable regardless of wins and losses. I will continue to do so while Rick is here and after he is gone.But that's just me. Each of us has a choice, which I respect.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, wardly said:

I graduated in 66', and began making a small financial contribution to the athletic department in 67'. I have seen the worst and the best of Presidents,Athletic Directors, and Coaches but  continued giving at an increased level as was affordable regardless of wins and losses. I will continue to do so while Rick is here and after he is gone.But that's just me. Each of us has a choice, which I respect.

As do I. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Everyone needs to remain civil.

After all that has been said by the usual suspects recently....now, you say this?  Just a tad late to the party...but, carry on.  I hope you and others will actually act on that concept.  Been awhile since anyone has.   I, for one, think it is long past time to enforce some civility around this joint.  I will thank you in advance, but will await  actual results with some skepticism.   

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 10

12 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

After all that has been said by the usual suspects recently....now, you say this?  Just a tad late to the party...but, carry on.  I hope you and others will actually act on that concept.  Been awhile since anyone has.   I, for one, think it is long past time to enforce some civility around this joint.  I will thank you in advance, but will await  actual results with some skepticism.   

This from a guy taking personal shots in another thread.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This from a guy taking personal shots in another thread.

Personal shots?  Where? What?  You mean the bit where I paraphrase what you have said constantly?  Really?  How us that taking personal shots?  You said it...numerous times.  I just paraphrase you.  Silly boy, and what makes you think my comment was directed solely at you?  Ego maybe?  Besides...you don't care.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 13

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Bottom line...

We suck at everything and have now for years. I want and expect accountability. Wardly doesn't care, obviously. 

Surely you don't actually mean everything because there is plenty of evidence to refute that. If you mean revenue sports, then yes, those have been very bad.

RV isn't getting fired. Tony Benford should, but if he doesn't, its only because the UNT 17 won't pay the buyout, probably since they are still reeling from paying off $2.1 million for Dan McCarney's contract in October. Normally, I'd say the BOR would come in and buy off that last year, but they are probably still reeling from having to buy out Mike Peterson's contract last year, as well.

Smatresk either flat out doesn't care, or he is being told that firing RV is not gonna happen by the BOR and UNT 17.

Either way, for a lot of us, we aren't visiting a game in person in Denton or giving another penny to the program until RV is gone. And, at least for me, I'm fully prepared for that to last for another decade or more. I'll listen or watch games on TV, follow things on here, and on the local media's little UNT blurbs, but nothing more. And if that makes me a bad fan in the opinion of others, all I would ask you to do is to look around at the seats around you in Apogee or the Super Pit and ask yourself why you are surrounded by more empty seats than filled ones, considering the same AD has been in place for 15 years now and the university has hundreds of thousands of alumni and students, thousands of faculty, and millions surrounding the local area.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

probably since they are still reeling from paying off $2.1 million for Dan McCarney's contract in October.

I mean gotta draw the line somewhere.

Over $3 million dollars in total buyouts is about enough, right?

RV is good at raising money, though.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Especially when RV has already convinced them before that to invest lots of cash into our program. At some point, you'd think that two lines would get drawn--one, the donation dollar threshold isn't getting crossed any further, and two, the carnival barker that convinced me to invest my time and money into this thing for "access" has just sold me snake oil.

I'll never understand how incredibly successful business people who would built up their fortunes thru hard work and intelligent decision-making have been so easily swayed by the AD here that has shown a complete failure for leading revenue sports to being winners with well-attended games that bring in more revenue. Its a mystery, to me...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Aldo said:

He should retire and run for some office. RV is very good at pissing away other people's money.

200.gif