South by Southwest starts in Austin on Friday with a keynote from President Obama. There's some great panels and things to do this year and I know there's a few of you who are tech/media/music/film enthusiasts.

I don't have a badge, but I was wondering, are any other Mean Greeners coming down to Austin for SXSW?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

South by Southwest starts in Austin on Friday with a keynote from President Obama. There's some great panels and things to do this year and I know there's a few of you who are tech/media/music/film enthusiasts.

I don't have a badge, but I was wondering, are any other Mean Greeners coming down to Austin for SXSW?

I'm not going this year, but I'm a vet of about 7-8 SX's (even have a SX-centric tattoo)...it's one of the absolutely greatest experiences (music and otherwise) happening in the world, no matter how much corporate interest and hipster pretentiousness attempts to corrupt it. hell...in some respects, it's actually helped. 

I've never once bought a badge or a wristband. if you're willing to do a bit of research ahead of time, you can catch damn near all of the acts you're wanting to see at the free day parties (many of which are sponsored by booze companies and offer free/cheap drinks)...then, unless you're wanting to see the marquee names, you can pick a showcase or two a night, pay a nominal cover and catch the rest. for an entire week of music...30 plus acts...I've never paid more than $50. I also highly recommend renting a bike and just following your ear.  

• Upvote 1