UNT's Annual Fund Dollars - Athletics

Eagle1855

3 minutes ago, Eagle1855 said:

I don't know how accurate these numbers are, but they were included in UH's 2016 Membership Guide that was mailed out to season ticket holders today. I was really surprised to see where we fit in the landscape of college football in Texas. Just gives some context of what we are up against related to investment in program and how much work we've left to do. 

Annual Fund Dollars; Number of Members:

Texas - $35M; 12,555

Texas Tech - $30.3M; 11,064

Texas A&M - $30M; N/A

Baylor - $12.7M; 4,800

TCU - 10.9M; 7,000

SMU - 5.3M; 3,541

Houston - 5.2M; 3,100

UTSA - 3.75M; 2,203

UTEP - 2.675M; N/A

Rice - 2.3M; 1,572

Texas State - 1.35M; 1,600

UNT - 800K; 1,100

Is this Alumni Associations?   Athletics Booster Clubs?   

Its a damn good thing that Mary Hardin Baylor doesn't have an FBS program. We might be embarrassed. In fact, we would probably be embarrassed if data for all Texas schools was available, regardless of level. But hey, we're one of the 25 largest schools in America by enrollment and Tier 1, so there's that.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

Let's see 4 donors gave 4.5 million this year to athletics.   So spin it how you want. This is just mean green club.   Subtract the minimum donation for a suite,  or your beloved "17" that you bash because we accept mediocrity,  and your mean green club money goes to 350,000.

Ah yes, I figured you'd be on here defending this right after I read the thread title. 

But at the same time you help bash. So, from your calculation or estimation, our alum gave a whopping 350k when no product was there for the taking, legitimate "donating." But you somehow for some reason still defend it. My one and only question, why? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Ah yes, I figured you'd be on here defending this right after I read the thread title. 

But at the same time you help bash. So, from your calculation or estimation, our alum gave a whopping 350k when no product was there for the taking, legitimate "donating." But you somehow for some reason still defend it. My one and only question, why? 

This is why

2800336_f520.jpg 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

I always love reading the fake shock when things like this are brought up. Like it wasn't expected.

Oh, and can we please stop bitching about others passing us by? We were never in front.

Pretty sure we'll never see the end of bitching around here, but in your mind we were never ahead of Tx St?

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Yep, we should all just go away and let you big donors have your team, right?

Because what you are kinda saying here is "shut the hell up. We give the money, so we don't need your input." And there is some validity to that. But like I told you back in that 2014 thread, you better be careful, lest you look around and find only 17 other people opening their checkbook for anything related to UNT athletics.

Yet you insist on driving that UNT  bus at 100 mph toward that cliff to protect a friend. 

Get ready to open that checkbook wider, Fly, because when more walk away that money will be to be replaced. And guess where your little buddy is going to come? 

2015 UNT football attendance:13,361

Tell us again how you guys know what you are doing... While there are still enough of us around to bother.

Excellent post.  

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

9 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

There is nothing to invest in here except the students.  And if that is the case I would rather donate to the College of Engineering or the general academic scholarship fund.  Student athletes with the good grades have access to those funds also.  What is the most frustrating here is the term mediocrity.  Mediocrity is .500 which makes you eligible for bowl games.  So if you take away Darrell Dickey's run (Remember the most successful coach in new FBS era at UNT that RV and crew ran of?).  This football team has been mediocre or above ONCE in 15 years.  So I strongly disagree with the UNT90's opinion that the big donors are accepting mediocrity.  To accept something it has to be given to you.  And this isn't even a mediocre program by the numbers whether you are taking about financial number or win/loss numbers.  The donors are comfortable with aspiring to be mediocre for 15 years on the way to be better than mediocre.  And to me that isn't loyalty that is almost cult like.  Cults slowly take intelligent, productive people down a path to do things that make absolutely no sense.

FYI to even be in the conversation for mediocrity UNT would have be somewhere between UTSA and Baylor on this list.

I don't believe I said mediocre, if I did it was a terrible misuse of the word. This program can only hope to be mediocre under Rick Villarreal. It is so far below sub-standard it can't even touch mediocracy with a trampoline.

Yet people like Fly are ok with that as long as RV remains AD. It's the most mind boggling personal manipulation in FBS athletics.

The dysfunction in UNT athletics knows no FBS rival. That dysfunction will ALWAYS prevent success.  It's obvious. It's systematic. And UNT quite honestly doesn't care.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Again, I wonder how much worse these numbers would be if there was not mandatory donations required for premium seating.

It is amazing that as much as the school, number of alumni,  and Denton grows, donations numbers are still about the worse in D1 athletics. This from the AD who was going to raise over $90m for athletes fifteen years ago.  I applaud RV not damn him for the cultivation of a small group of high level donors, but overall he has been a dismal failure in what was lauded as his biggest asset when hired, fund raising.   

• Upvote 4

The bottom line is that if 17 donating units contributed approximately 60% of the $800,000 given, then about 1,100 MGC members gave approximately $350,000, or a little over $300.00 each.My math may be fuzzy, as I am an old man, but both Texas state and UTSA average giving unit is only in the $100 to $150 range.[some one please check my math] I am just very surprised at the much larger number of donators they both have vs. us. Anyone know if the UH report based on hard numbers or just a guess and by golly? Just asking, not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone, although at my age and number of daily trips to the bathroom taken , I would be hard to beat.

• Upvote 2