What will you do if/when Benford is retained?

UNT90

So say UNT retains or even extends a disaster of a head coach. What is your response? Will you keep giving at the current level? Will you renew basketball season tickets? Will you walk away? Will you protest naked in front of the athletic department? 

Or will you do what UNT fans have done for decades: just lay down and take it?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

I could see us having a decent record next year. Cupcake OOC schedule akin to the one we had in 2013-2014, plus if he really does keep this team together then we can probably go something like 8-10 in conference and finish above .500. Then RV will come out I-told-you-so'ing like crazy.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I will continue to support our student athletes. However, that won't stop me from bringing "RUN MAN," "FIRE BENFORD," and/or "FIRE RICK" signs to the games.

Good luck getting those in the Super Pit. Otherwise, solid plan.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So say UNT retains or even extends a disaster if a head coach. What is your response? Will you keep giving at the current level? Will you renew basketball season tickets? Will you walk away? Will you protest naked in front of the athletic department? 

Continue laughing...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Pretty much the status quo for the last five decades or so...

Not really. It's actually been much worse this past ten years (2005-2015). 4 of the 5 ten loss football season occurred during this time, including a couple of 1-11s.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Nothing left for me to do, short of a senseless act. I haven't spent a dime on basketball after attending about three games in Benford's first year. I follow the team via the media and this board but won't spend my time and money on basketball in Denton while Benford is coaching. As one of the "minute few" that's about all I can do.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

The past 10 years are by far the worst group of ten years of football in UNT history. Add to that the deconstruction of basketball over the last 4 years and you have a downward spiral probably never before seen at UNT. 

But RV has vision. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I could see us having a decent record next year. Cupcake OOC schedule akin to the one we had in 2013-2014, plus if he really does keep this team together then we can probably go something like 8-10 in conference and finish above .500. Then RV will come out I-told-you-so'ing like crazy.

It would be pretty funny if he gloated about an 8-10 conference record.

But you're right. Wouldn't put it past him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

The past 10 years are by far the worst group of ten years of football in UNT history. Add to that the deconstruction of basketball over the last 4 years and you have a downward spiral probably never before seen at UNT. 

But RV has vision. 

Pol Pot had a vision.  Idi Amin had a vision.  

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Pol Pot had a vision.  Idi Amin had a vision.  

That's an insult to Pol Pot and Idi Amin. They "accomplished" much of their vision, yet they were still chased out of power. They also killed many of their countrymen 

Meanwhile, RV remains "in office" after accomplishing very little, except killing a greater percentage of UNT fandom than Idi or Pol actually killed. 

So, in summery, Idi and Pol did "more" with less than Rick Villarreal, yet were still held accountable for "failures"...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

On March 5, 2016 at 8:15 AM, UNT90 said:

So say UNT retains or even extends a disaster of a head coach. What is your response? Will you keep giving at the current level? Will you renew basketball season tickets? Will you walk away? Will you protest naked in front of the athletic department? 

Had floor seats for 5 years, and they were a blast except for Benfords era. Stuck around for Tony season and the following season. Gave them up after 2 Benfords seasons and have not been back! Get s new coach!!!

• Upvote 6

I have completely given up on UNT BB after being a season ticket holder for many years. Haven't been to a game the past two seasons. I just can't stomach the bad product that is trotted ( or waddled) out there. God bless our players, but Benford is a joke and I will not watch his antics.  And after 10 out of 11 losing seasons of very bad football, I've just about come to the same conclusion. At this point, I have no intention of continuing my support for an athletic department/administration that will not commit to winning. I sincerely hope Coach Littrell can turn it around, but I have no faith in a tricked up offense that is nothing more than Dodge 2.0.  The inability to hire a coach that's worth a $hit in your most visible, high profile sports make me wonder, what the hell is going on?  Perhaps I'll become a Houston Cougars fan. They are doing it right.  Commitment to a winning coach, making it a PUBLIC goal to join the Big 12. I can only dream of something like this happening at NT.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Although disappointed, I will continue to follow the team on a limited basis.  Gave up season tickets after Benford's first year.  Been to less games this year than any other year partly because of scheduling conflicts with grandson's games.  

I think it will be another major mistake by RV to continue with Benford, but frankly nothing will significantly change.  A change would generate new hope and interest in the program.  Staying with Benford will continue to put a low ceiling on the program and keep those away that have given up on the program.  Even modest success which should happen if this team stays intact will lead to another Benford contract and more of the same.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

I can't imagine that they would continue with him after his contract is up.  The very few times I've gone to games over the past few years, the place has been quiet as a library.  Hell, I think Willis might have more action at night.

If they were to extend him, it wouldn't change anything in my life.

If they decide to keep him they will more than likely extend him for a year so he can "sway" recruits. It solidifies buying out a year of his contract, but doing it a year later. By doing this RV doesn't look as doodoo for having to fire both of our revenue sport coaches in the same academic year. Best case for RV and his cronies is that Littrell has a slither of success in year 1 so when they inevitably fire Benford after next year's joke of a season their little club can say, "but look at football." But I'm done with MBB. I can't keep going to watch the same moron scream "shooter" while preparing to substitute the hot hand on the floor. Tony Benford flat out can't coach. 

• Upvote 2

The fact that there is even a discussion on extension or retention tells you all you need to know about the perception of the UNT athletic department, Rick Villarreal, the UNT administration when it comes to athletics, and the "major donors" that RV has cultivated.

The perception is winning isn't important to any of them. Don't believe me? If any one of those 4 entities wanted Benford gone, he would be gone. But the people talking about retention and/or extension must not believe that any one of those four want Benford replaced. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a conversation.

This is something people like @flyonthewall either don't get or don't care about. That's fine, but they shouldn't be surprised when they are asked to up their already high donation level due to people walking away.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

i haven't bought season tickets the last two years, just buy at the gate when I want to go.  I will not buy season tickets next year if he still here.  I never knew what an adventure it can to be buy a ticket at the game paying cash.  It is like the first time they have ever faced that problem.

• Upvote 6