Closeout Sale at Denton Sports Authority

Fry Guy

If you haven't already heard, Sports Authority has filed for bankruptcy, and will be closing all of its Texas locations soon. I stopped by the Denton location today and noticed that almost everything in the store had been put on clearance for at least 10-20% off the lowest marked price. As of this afternoon, they still had 2-3 racks full of North Texas gear. There was an assortment of men's, women's, and children's apparel on sale. I was able to snag one of the older style Nike authentic replica jerseys for around $30. It looks great next to my authentic Schutt helmet from the same era! If you're thinking about checking it out, I'd suggest that you act fast. They've already begun boxing up some of the other sections in the store.

large.IMG_2818.JPG.f3651103d619b33749de5

Edited by Fry Guy
Picture added
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Fry Guy said:

If you haven't already heard, Sports Authority has filed for bankruptcy, and will be  closing all of its Texas locations soon. I stopped by the Denton location today and noticed that almost everything in the store had been put on clearance for at least 10-20% off the lowest marked price. As of this afternoon, they still had 2-3 racks full of North Texas gear. There was an assortment of men's, women's, and children's apparel on sale. I was able to snag one of the older style Nike authentic replica jerseys for around $30. It looks great next to my authentic Schutt helmet from that same era! If you're thinking about checking it out, I'd suggest that you do so soon. They've already begun boxing up some of the other sections of the store.

sweet thanks for the heads up

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fry Guy said:

If you haven't already heard, Sports Authority has filed for bankruptcy, and will be closing all of its Texas locations soon.

The first sign (other than the oil companies) that the recession has already started.

3 hours ago, Stix said:

The first sign (other than the oil companies) that the recession has already started.

Not completely accurate.  The city I work for relies HEAVILY on the oil field.  They aren't drilling, and the workers and their families have moved.  We're suffering as a result. 

As for Sports Authority, I hate to see them go.  I spent 2.5 years working for the one in Lewisville.  Steadiest job I had in college. 

4 hours ago, Stix said:

Oh...not so much.  Perhaps a better sign of a company struggling with the increasing on-line sales of sporting equipment and the losing out on team business to competitors.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Oh...not so much.  Perhaps a better sign of a company struggling with the increasing on-line sales of sporting equipment and the losing out on team business to competitors.

To expand on this, the sports equipment/apparel sector is very competitive. SA was getting its lunch eaten by Academy and Dick's with their rollout if larger stores. Amazon is hurting a lot of retailers as well.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

This. Look for Academy to be up next 5 yrs down the road. Maybe even Dicks. These places are like Circuit City and Best Buy. Some people use them in a jam but ordering online is just much more easy. 

10 hours ago, All About UNT said:

This. Look for Academy to be up next 5 yrs down the road. Maybe even Dicks. These places are like Circuit City and Best Buy. Some people use them in a jam but ordering online is just much more easy. 

Outdoors stuff is a bit different than electronics. Many of the outdoors people want to see and touch the products first, but buying online isn't that helpful for fishing rods, firearms, ammunition, and I just won't buy shoes online. There are some parallels, but outdoors stores will have loyal brick and mortar customers for the foreseeable future.

8 hours ago, TheWestie said:

I'm lookin to score some camping stuff and clothes as it goes on clearance so I'm gonna be going in once or twice a week and let y'all know when stuff starts to get really marked down.

Come on clearance kayaks...

If they really put kayaks on sale I expect a text from you...

• Upvote 2

I was in the Mansfield store three weeks ago to buy some running shoes. The news was just breaking about SA and the stores were starting to go to Clearance. Things were being moved out to other stores and inventory was blown out on most popular items. And this is when discounts were in the 20% range. This won't take long so grab it if you want it.

GMG

Sports Authority was called Oshman's when I worked there. They were doing pretty well. When Sports Authority took over, products like bikes and exercise equipment became lesser quality, and that hurt. Dick's and Academy also sell firearms, so that will help them.

careful, i went by the denton store yesterday, they had extra 10-20% off on items, but listening to the manager and employees in the shoe department I don't think this is a sale.  An example they wanted to take all the sale signs down because people would want the sale price plus the 10-20% off that price, makes since to me going out of business you need to sell everything.  I was looking at a pair of tennis shoes that were regularly priced at $69.00  but on sale for $39.00. So did the simple math and came the total of $13.80 off the regular price (20%).  So on sale I would have paid $39.00 for the shoes or according the store employees logic I would pay $55.20 on the going out of the business sale.  UNT is stuff is getting scare, had some nice nike polo's $60 before the 10 or 20% off.  They do have a lot of Ranger stuff but did not notice any hot deals.