MGB: How UNT will fill its biggest hole on offense

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Had a big long post, but screw that here's a summary:

While Smith won't throw an INT often, his inaccuracy and lack of touch in the intermediate range stalls the offense. Our yards per play in each of his games last year were very low. On the other hand, his running ability opens up the run game, and has momentum-swinging effects. Running ability also helps PA. Has college game experience. Need to see major improvements in his pass abilities.

While Morris won't help out the run game with his legs, he has the potential to move the chains with his arm. That on its own could help the run game. But I call into question his reaction to the defense post-snap, and would like to see how he does over spring practice. I don't think he can pick apart a defense, but is smart enough and strong enough to put the ball in the right place in certain situations. Doesn't have game experience.

My position is, Morris needs to be at least an average passer in order surpass Smith's running ability and game experience.

Average QB play is a lot to ask for around here, and is HOF material. #shotsfired 

*And I'll tack on and say an avg qb for me would be >7.2 yards per pass and around 58% comp (I've tempered my expectations).

This guy needs to eat a can of dog food typing this up. I didn't know Smith had such big time wheels with his college game experience.

• Downvote 6

1 minute ago, NTAlum09 said:

Hope you have good plumbing!

Did you not see where I wrote that Morris needs to be just average and he can surpass Smith? I'm not putting Smith's legs on a pedestal here. It was more of a comment that we don't see many Top 60-70 QBs around here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MGNation92 said:

I'm so confused

Get off the mushrooms then

Just now, Aldo said:

Did you not see where I wrote that Morris needs to be just average and he can surpass Smith? I'm not putting Smith's legs on a pedestal here. It was more of a comment that we don't see many Top 60-70 QBs around here.

hqdefault.jpg

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

How in the hell do you know if we are going to run the read option next season? I don't even know if they are going to sell popcorn at the concession stand next season.

Tap the brakes baby!

3 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

Morris will be our starter period.

So awesome.

8 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Every Vito article looks like this...

"UNT football is pretty bad.  I mean really bad.  Did I mention they went 1-11 last season?  You know, all that could have been avoided if my man crush Derek Thompson were still playing.  Speaking of Thompson, if he'd just join my wolf pack we could totally tear up Vegas!!!"  

Still can't swallow that pride and admit you were wrong when you said UNT would be better without DT, eh?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Ok --is everybody doing there homework?  Morris has not played in 4 years but has potential to be our QB. He has a good arm, size and is smart . Smith is a head case that has tools but needs to change attitude if he wants to play. These coaches are not going to play around --you either toe the line or will be gone. Connor Means has not played in 2 years and did not have stellar stats in H.S. but definitely has potential . He also can run . Shanbour has not played in 2 years secondary to injury. He has the best stats in high school and played 1 year at prep school. He can run and has very accurate arm --see highlight video. He has been called a coach on the field. Fine is similar to Shanbour-- smart undersize  and can run with decent arm. I think this is wide open and may the best man win. I believe the coaches are looking for a leader that is smart and can run there offense. We will find out which QB has these skills and he will be our next QB . 

• Upvote 2

I think most people are forgetting the best offensive weapon on this team (we know right now) is our running back.  Seth talks a lot about customizing his system around the talent that is available to him.  That being said, I didn't see any play makers at the WR position last year (the few times they received accurate passes).  

1. Best Weapon at RB + 2. Unknown commodities at QB + 3. Lack luster WR production (last year) + 4. Vulnerable Defense you want to keep off the field  = Run heavy version of the spread option.

So I hope they start the QB that maximizes what our running backs are able to do.  If DeMarcus can learn to throw the short passes accurately and on time, I think he would be the best option.  He throws the deep ball accurately enough to keep defenses honest.   Also I don't think the offensive line will be good enough to protect Alec (or anyone else) to make a living throwing  intermediate passes.  The dream scenario (whoever start at QB) is that opposing linebackers get physically and mentally exhausted between running to sidelines to tackle receivers in the flats and crashing down to the A gap to stop a quick hitting run.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On March 5, 2016 at 9:51 PM, UNT Fan 92 said:

Ok --is everybody doing there homework?  Morris has not played in 4 years but has potential to be our QB. He has a good arm, size and is smart . Smith is a head case that has tools but needs to change attitude if he wants to play. These coaches are not going to play around --you either toe the line or will be gone. Connor Means has not played in 2 years and did not have stellar stats in H.S. but definitely has potential . He also can run . Shanbour has not played in 2 years secondary to injury. He has the best stats in high school and played 1 year at prep school. He can run and has very accurate arm --see highlight video. He has been called a coach on the field. Fine is similar to Shanbour-- smart undersize  and can run with decent arm. I think this is wide open and may the best man win. I believe the coaches are looking for a leader that is smart and can run there offense. We will find out which QB has these skills and he will be our next QB . 

5 minutes ago, UNT Fan 92 said:

Don't quote yourself... That's weird. Also QB options in order, Morris, Shanbour 2a, Smith 2b.  Been hearing Smith coming up with any and every excuse to why he can't throw with WR, while Morris and Shanbour out there slinging the rock!

Mike-- I really don't think DeMarcus will make it to next year if he does not correct his attitude. I really think we will have a new QB next year .I agree our best weapon maybe the running back but you still have to b able to throw the short and deep routes to keep the defense from totally keying on the run. We could not throw  a deep ball  or even the 20 yard routes last year. We could not even throw a short route half the time . I promise you we will have receivers this year that will catch the ball . I think we have a much better WR coach this year . I suspect our offense will be much better with the new coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1