How many tourney wins does Benford need?

Harry

How many tourney wins does Benford need?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How many tourney wins does Benford need?

• Needs to win the whole thing

The decision should have already been made, no matter how NT finishes.   I don't know what the so called group of 17 has decided, but with Benford's record; I don't know how he could remain.  

Support for a losing disappointing coach is a lot different then a losing AD.  There is no way to disregard the win and loss record of a coach by citing other factors.  

As I stated the decision should have already been made, but winning the conference tournament could change that decision.    

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A) What the hell did I just read in the previous post?

B) It does seem odd that there are zero rumblings about the Benford situation for or against from the usual suspects.  It's quiet.  Too quiet.  One thing, I do seem to recall that somebody who understands these things posted earlier in the season that basketball is much less likely to fire a coach mid-season than football, so maybe the conclusion of the conference tourney will shed some light on this situation.  

C) In my mind, he's been fired for years.  Haven't seen him coach since Tony Mitchell was imposing his cancerous locker room tumors on the program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

if we HAVE to keep benford as our head basketball coach, can some booster do something illegal so we get a SMU-like death penalty on our B-Ball team? I am just tired of seeing a completely punch-less Mean Green squad on the court... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, Folcrum said:

Sorry off topic. May I ask? What do you call each other (in his range) Super Pit. If what that nickname? Informal.

I think our new poster Folcrum is inquiring about the origin of the name "Super Pit". I am not a UNT historian but as I recall the old Men's Gym was where basketball was played and it was nicknamed the "Snake Pit" because the acoustics and "intimate" setting made it inhospitable to visiting teams, and also because there were occasional reptilian guests. The "Super Pit" is newer (built early 70s), much larger and retains some of the same acoustical characteristics, sans reptiles.

Time marches on...I'm sure many of you still remember picking up IBM punchcards at your appointed registration time at tables in the Super Pit.

• Upvote 1

Then the scantron thing where you filled it out, ran it through the machine, then stood there to see if you got the schedule you wanted.  When you didn't, you had to start over and fill out another.....

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Back on topic.  Don't think the Benford decision will have anything to do with performance in the tournament, so zero either way.  If a decision has not already been made........

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

40 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

One NT Daily reporter is lobbying for Benford:

http://ntdaily.com/pay-the-man-tony-benford-deserves-one-last-shot/

Looks like RV and the 17 got those reporters on the Daily staff under control, eh? ?

Note the arguments made are 1) he was a successful assistant, and 2) players that have yet to produce a winning season under Benford credit him when talking to a reporter. What else are they supposed to say? 

The only player that may transfer is Bryce. Frazier can't transfer again, Combs isn't going anywhere. He would have one year left to play after sitting out.

Bottom line is this team is under .500 next year with Benford as head coach. Will UNT act like a real Major college athletic program and FINALLY fix a problem, or will UNT does what UNT always dies and take the cheap way out for their club sports programs.

The next 2 weeks certainly will be interesting...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Я думаю, что наш новый постер Folcrum будет запрошена информация о происхождении названия "Super Pit". Я не ЕНТ историк, но насколько я помню старых мужчин Тренажерный зал был, где баскетбол был играл и он получил прозвище "Змеиная яма", потому что акустика и "интимное" установка сделал это негостеприимной для посещения команд, а также потому, что там были случайные рептильная гости. "Super Pit" новее (построен в начале 70-х годов), гораздо больше, и сохраняет некоторые из тех же акустических характеристик, SANS рептилий.

Время идет ... Я уверен, что многие из вас до сих пор помню подбирая IBM перфокарты в вашем назначенное время регистрации на столах в Супер Яме.

Thank you.
Just I'm from Russia.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hello?... Uh... Hello E- uh hello Ernie? Listen uh uh I can't hear too well. Do you suppose you could turn the music down just a little?... Oh-ho, that's much better... yeah... huh... yes... Fine, I can hear you now, Ernie... Clear and plain and coming through fine... I'm coming through fine, too, eh?... Good, then... well, then, as you say, we're both coming through fine... Good... Well, it's good that you're fine and... and I'm fine... I agree with you, it's great to be fine... a-ha-ha-ha-ha... Now then, Ernie, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the Ball... The *Ball*, Ernie... The *basket* ball!... Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our athletic directors, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his coach... continue coaching... Ah... Well, let me finish, Ernie... Let me finish, Ernie... Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you *imagine* how I feel about it, Ernie?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?... *Of course* I like to speak to you!... *Of course* I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Ernie. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a *friendly* call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it... He will *not* reach his targets for at least another month... I am... I am positive, Ernie... Listen, I've been all over this with your wife. It is not a trick... Well, I'll tell you. We'd like to give your staff a complete run-down on the other coaching targets, the x&o plans, and the defensive systems of the coaches... Yes! I mean i-i-i-if we're unable to fire the coach, then... I'd say that, ah... well, ah... we're just gonna have to help you destroy him, Ernie... I know they're our boys... All right, well listen now. Who should we call?... *Who* should we call, Ernie? The... wha-whe, the People... you, sorry, you faded away there... The People's Central Countertop and Tile Installers... Where is that, Ernie?... In Corinth... Right... Yes... Oh, you'll call them first, will you?... Uh-huh... Listen, do you happen to have the phone number on you, Ernie?... Whe-ah, what? I see, just ask for Corinth information... Ah-ah-eh-uhm-hm... I'm sorry, too, Ernie... I'm very sorry... *All right*, you're sorrier than I am, but I am as sorry as well... I am as sorry as you are, Ernie! Don't say that you're more sorry than I am, because I'm capable of being just as sorry as you are... So we're both sorry, all right?... All right.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Hello?... Uh... Hello E- uh hello Ernie? Listen uh uh I can't hear too well. Do you suppose you could turn the music down just a little?... Oh-ho, that's much better... yeah... huh... yes... Fine, I can hear you now, Ernie... Clear and plain and coming through fine... I'm coming through fine, too, eh?... Good, then... well, then, as you say, we're both coming through fine... Good... Well, it's good that you're fine and... and I'm fine... I agree with you, it's great to be fine... a-ha-ha-ha-ha... Now then, Ernie, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the Ball... The *Ball*, Ernie... The *basket* ball!... Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our athletic directors, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his coach... continue coaching... Ah... Well, let me finish, Ernie... Let me finish, Ernie... Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you *imagine* how I feel about it, Ernie?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?... *Of course* I like to speak to you!... *Of course* I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Ernie. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a *friendly* call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it... He will *not* reach his targets for at least another month... I am... I am positive, Ernie... Listen, I've been all over this with your wife. It is not a trick... Well, I'll tell you. We'd like to give your staff a complete run-down on the other coaching targets, the x&o plans, and the defensive systems of the coaches... Yes! I mean i-i-i-if we're unable to fire the coach, then... I'd say that, ah... well, ah... we're just gonna have to help you destroy him, Ernie... I know they're our boys... All right, well listen now. Who should we call?... *Who* should we call, Ernie? The... wha-whe, the People... you, sorry, you faded away there... The People's Central Countertop and Tile Installers... Where is that, Ernie?... In Corinth... Right... Yes... Oh, you'll call them first, will you?... Uh-huh... Listen, do you happen to have the phone number on you, Ernie?... Whe-ah, what? I see, just ask for Corinth information... Ah-ah-eh-uhm-hm... I'm sorry, too, Ernie... I'm very sorry... *All right*, you're sorrier than I am, but I am as sorry as well... I am as sorry as you are, Ernie! Don't say that you're more sorry than I am, because I'm capable of being just as sorry as you are... So we're both sorry, all right?... All right.

Coach Benford or: How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love the Dumpster Fire.

• Upvote 6

1 час назад, Quoner сказал:

Это потрясающе. Собирается нас есть некоторые большие поклонники здесь, на борту вы собираетесь любить.

Yep! We need to begin to see the matches of your team. :)))))
We only show matches NCAA.
P.S.  "Huge FANS" not a fan.

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Wait, who exactly is President Merkin Muffley in this scenario?

19 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Gotta be President Smatresk, doesn't it? RV is the crazy general, right?

I mean...there's even some physical resemblance between Smatresk and Muffley, right?

clearly RV is Ripper, though perhaps far less concerned about the purity of what enters his body. Benford is Col. Bat Guano...there might be a metaphorical corollary, but namely because poop

90 is Turgidson, full of bluster, often unintelligible ranting, likes planes a lot and is full of copious amounts of jingoism, but with very little real action. I guess that means KRAM is Sadeski.

Tasty is Major Kong...loyal, but to a fault and will one day lose his damn mind. Emmitt is Lt. Zogg...our token black.

the whole array of banned posters and shadow puppet accounts all put together as one equal Strangelove

we're desperately lacking our Mandrake.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Benford will be back at UNT next year regardless of what happens. He has effectively move the hot seat until 16-17. if next year isn't a high point for us, he will be fired and probably never be a D1 head coach ever again.  

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I mean...there's even some physical resemblance between Smatresk and Muffley, right?

clearly RV is Ripper, though perhaps far less concerned about the purity of what enters his body. Benford is Col. Bat Guano...there might be a metaphorical corollary, but namely because poop

90 is Turgidson, full of bluster, often unintelligible ranting, likes planes a lot and is full of copious amounts of jingoism, but with very little real action. I guess that means KRAM is Sadeski.

Tasty is Major Kong...loyal, but to a fault and will one day lose his damn mind. Emmitt is Lt. Zogg...our token black.

the whole array of banned posters and shadow puppet accounts all put together as one equal Strangelove

we're desperately lacking our Mandrake.

You magnificent bastard, you.

bravo

eta: I think we've got two choices for mandrake. Hank or Capper...

Edited by Army of Dad

• 3 weeks later...

I still want to see tickets sold in sections that are named after the UNT 17, RV, and the BOR members.

"Look, Benford's family is sitting in Ernie's section...section F...as in that's all we can give this department a grade of..."

"And these right here are the David Anderson Floor Seats...that looks like its only available to customers who bought into the vision of hardwood floors, but instead were sold laminate flooring that supposedly looks like hardwood, but they deny its laminate or refuse to even acknowledge that they may have gotten completely ripped off. Fortunately, by taking this stance, you get free tickets to UNT games and 'access' to visionary discussions on all things flooring."

"And then there's the Rick Villareal sections. Yes, I said sections. See when we win a tough game over Sul Ross State by two points, you can move to this section so as to be seen by dozens of other people to celebrate such a historic victory that RV himself scheduled. However, when we find ourselves losing to an incredibly difficult team, such as Samford, who plays up so highly when they get invited to our prestigious pre-season tournament in Denton, you can sit in the other RV section, which is actually in the tunnel to go to the locker rooms, allowing you to give Tony Benford and his crew handshakes and hugs as they leave the Super Pit court after a very tough loss to a highly respected national power. It gives you the ability to get to your car even quicker to get home and allows RV to get to his post-game Jimmy John's sandwich so that he can get some nourishment."

"You are probably wondering why the top sections of the Super Pit are named after the BOR members, where nobody has sat in years for a game. Well, its because the BOR members requested that their names to be only loosely connected to athletics and that the unused seats in these sections are supposed to emulate the amount of time and energy they want to spend in even caring about UNT sports. However, Lee Jackson has requested his section to be for the Mean Green Brigade's Basketball Pep Band. After all, its a great value section and they can make sure that those poor music kids can get to enjoy playing their instruments for thousands less than their compadres at other universities in Texas. At least until he can get UNT-Dallas up and running and finally get to just leave Denton behind for good."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

On 3/1/2016 at 11:13 PM, GRN-WHT said:

RV won't fire him because it'll make him look bad to fire the 2 major sport coaches in the same school year.

The 17 don't want him fired because it'll make their little buddy look bad.

e4cIehO.gif

Look, if you're going to flaunt these powers... use them for good.  Tell us the winning powerball numbers so we can afford some buyouts.

• Upvote 2