How many tourney wins does Benford need?

Harry

How many tourney wins does Benford need?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How many tourney wins does Benford need?

• Needs to win the whole thing

8 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

To win the tourney, probably four since I don't think we will be a top six team.

To save his job, hopefully 6-7 postseason wins.

If the team were to win the conference tournament, we would likely be a 16 seed. Provided that we didn't end up in the play-in game, I think being the coach of the first 16 seed to win in the first round would probably be enough.

All of this is hypothetical since I have no reason to believe that we win more than one game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Rumor flying around that next year's roster has already cemented his tenure for at least one more season.

And cemented that I won't be attending any UNT home games.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, Harry said:

How many games does Benford need to win in the 2016 C-USA tourney?

IF we win out on the regular season...

...and IF we manage to go on a 4 game winning streak in the CUSA tournament (NOTE: We haven't won more than 2 in a row all season)...

...and IF we win the play-in game...

...and IF we somehow manage to be the first team ever to score the 16 seed upset over a 1 seed in NCAA tournament history...

...we'll still only finish 19-19 if we lost in the next round, and once again Benford will have failed to finish a season above .500 in his tenure here. 

SO... My answer is, if Benford wants to keep his job, he needs to be above .500 at the end of the season. Win out, win the tournament, make the Sweet 16, and finish 20-19. 

And that would only earn him the opportunity to coach out the last season on his existing contract. No extension. 

Otherwise, pack it up and get the f--- out of Denton, pronto. 

4 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

To win the tourney, probably four since I don't think we will be a top six team.

To save his job, hopefully 6-7 postseason wins.

So like a 2-4 year extension???

Realistically, I can't see them keeping Benford without an extension, regardless of next year's roster. I'm assuming Benford has a five year deal? These days, you never want to go into the final season of a coach's contract without an extension for no other reason than it decimates recruiting. Having a coach out recruiting who has to tell recruits it's my last year, I think I'll be back is not a good sell. I still expect once this team is eliminated from the CUSA Tournament that he will be fired.

If I recall correctly though this mistake was already made once before with Tina Slinker, who finished out her contract and our recruiting suffered horribly, though that wasn't the only problem.

18 hours ago, greenminer said:

Rumor flying around that next year's roster has already cemented his tenure for at least one more season.

We will know in the next week. There has been no vote of confidence from the Hattiesburg Hustler. There has been no comment at all no way or the other.  The Hattiesburg Hustler is probably busy evaluating how a decision, one way or the other, will affect his job. If he feels that he will remain employed if he fires Benford, he will most likely pull the trigger (as long as Ernie says it's ok). If he thinks for one second that Benford's acknowledged failure wil give Smatresk the ammo to get rid of him, Benford will be back.

This isn't about what is best for UNT basketball, this is about what is best for Rick Villarreal.

It always is.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

We will know in the next week. There has been no vote of confidence from the Hattiesburg Hustler. There has been no comment at all no way or the other.  The Hattiesburg Hustler is probably busy evaluating how a decision, one way or the other, will affect his job. If he feels that he will remain employed if he fires Benford, he will most likely pull the trigger (as long as Ernie says it's ok). If he thinks for one second that Benford's acknowledged failure wil give Smatresk the ammo to get rid of him, Benford will be back.

This isn't about what is best for UNT basketball, this is about what is best for Rick Villarreal.

It always is.

Rick is coasting and has been for some time. He has just under 24 months left on his contract. There is NO WAY he will EVER resign and walk away from his paycheck. If he is the RV we all think he is then he is pinning his hopes on:

1. Littrell showing great improvement in 2016 and 2017.

2. Mitchell going all Kaizen again next season with an improved roster.

3. Benford somehow, someway not crapping the bed with next years roster.(I fear he will roll these dice unless Smatresk steps in and shit-cans Benford himself)

If he hits on all 3 of these then he probably thinks he has a chance at getting an extension where he will go full auto pilot for 2-3 more years of easy pay. If he doesn't hit on these then he rides off into the sunset in March 2018. He just doesn't care.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Rick is coasting and has been for some time. He has just under 24 months left on his contract. There is NO WAY he will EVER resign and walk away from his paycheck. If he is the RV we all think he is then he is pinning his hopes on:

1. Littrell showing great improvement in 2016 and 2017.

2. Mitchell going all Kaizen again next season with an improved roster.

3. Benford somehow, someway not crapping the bed with next years roster.(I fear he will roll these dice unless Smatresk steps in and shit-cans Benford himself)

If he hits on all 3 of these then he probably thinks he has a chance at getting an extension where he will go full auto pilot for 2-3 more years of easy pay. If he doesn't hit on these then he rides off into the sunset in March 2018. He just doesn't care.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't we see a few months back in his contract that if a coach in a revenue sport gets an extension, so does RV? That right there should tell you what's up if Benford gets an extension. If so, there is no way the UNT 17 will let RV get close to that final year of his contract. Instead, they will probably just tell the BOR that they won't buyout Benford's last year of the contract, so Benford will get a last chance to coach one more year, then possibly get extended, as well as RV. If Benford has to get replaced, you watch how quickly the voices that support RV will come out of the woodwork about how genius it is that he didn't extend Benford out, so as to save $$$ for the university, even if it meant not getting an extension himself.

The UNT 17 run this thing. Look at where the money trail leads--it goes straight to the access that RV grants them. The BOR doesn't care as long as they aren't allocating anything more to the program than they have to, so if 17 "mega" donors want to own the entire program and keep the carnival barker that sold them the snake oil, known as "vision", around, that's how it will go. Known costs and known revenues--that is how it works here, regarding athletic funding and expectations.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Benford will be here next year.  There would have already been an announcement or it would have been rumored/leaked.  Remember how basically the entire Mean Green fanbase knew that Mac was gone if we lost to Portland State an hour before the game?