MGB: Dave Campbell's Texas Football projects UNT's record

Brett Vito

14 minutes ago, NM Green said:

We will not be that bad and will be knocking on door for bowl game.

gmg

Here is the problem. This is the same thing you said before last season and the same thing you will say before next season, even if Littrell turns out to be the football version of Benford and UNT goes 0-12.

It makes it very hard to take any prediction from you seriously.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I really don't understand how you think this is an unreasonable prediction.  Just because it's not your 1-11 you freak and say "you can't have that!"

you are so liberal sometimes.

for that the prediction just got 10 feet taller!  

6-7 wins baby!

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, NM Green said:

I really don't understand how you think this is an unreasonable prediction.  Just because it's not your 1-11 you freak and say "you can't have that!"

6-7 wins baby!

GMG

And I don't know what a FBS National Championship is out of the question at UNT?  Come on really dude?  You are setting yourself up for massive disappointment.  Also it is unfair to Seth in first year.  I can see it now they get real close in a few games they lose they could have gotten them to 6-6 and you take issue with the coach because the wins were "right there in reach".  Getting 6 wins will be maximizing everything this team currently has.  Hell too much success too soon may even be a slightly negative thing here.  Because the coach might not stay around long enough to solidify the processes and mindset that lead to winning.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

9 hours ago, NM Green said:

6-7 wins baby!

GMG

It's unreasonable because it isn't based in reason. Pretty simple. "Rah rah UNT. We will win 6 games" isn't reason, it's cheerleading. 

You wanna be a cheerleader? Have at it, but don't expect to be taken seriously. 

I agree that we won't know anything until Spring about certain things (QB), but the problems on the other side of the ball is what I look at. 3 wins is about right. UNT could win 4 with a LOT of breaks, but could also win only 1. 

If Littrell hits 3, it'll be a good start to his tenure.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

36 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

And I don't know what a FBS National Championship is out of the question at UNT?  Come on really dude?  You are setting yourself up for massive disappointment.  Also it is unfair to Seth in first year.  I can see it now they get real close in a few games they lose they could have gotten them to 6-6 and you take issue with the coach because the wins were "right there in reach".  Getting 6 wins will be maximizing everything this team currently has.  Hell too much success too soon may even be a slightly negative thing here.  Because the coach might not stay around long enough to solidify the processes and mindset that lead to winning.

Maximizing everything a team has is the coaches job and he gets paid handsomely to do so. So, if 6 wins is in the cupboard for the 2016 team then we need to see them. If not, then so be it. 

Listen to some of you:  "We hired a new coach because the old one didn't win enough; can't wait 'til this guy posts three whole, entire wins for us!  What a success story that will be!  Recruits will be crawling all over each other just to get a piece of that three win mentality!"  

If three is the threshold, what was the point of tossing McCarney?  He won at least three games four times in five tries.  Six.

Aim higher, please.   

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Listen to some of you:  "We hired a new coach because the old one didn't win enough; can't wait 'til this guy posts three whole, entire wins for us!  What a success story that will be!  Recruits will be crawling all over each other just to get a piece of that three win mentality!"  

If three is the threshold, what was the point of tossing McCarney?  He won at least three games four times in five tries.  Six.

Aim higher, please.   

Losing a lot works for SMU.

I'm here all week, y'all.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

Losing a lot works for SMU.

I'm here all week, y'all.

In what way?  They signed a recruiting class identical to the year before...which was crappy. 

And, so that's the thrust of the gist of the argument, then, isn't it?  We say something is going to happen, then we pretend it's happening.  This is the type of thinking that got John Hinkley, Jr. to believe that if he would assassinate President Reagan then Jodie Foster would be all his.

In our scenario - and SMU's as well - the belief that assassination would get us some strange is the recruiting class we've signed; Jodie Foster, though, represents the players we really want.

You follow?

I found a video of Seth Littrell and SMU Jesus on the recruiting trail together.  You'll love it:

47 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

In what way?  They signed a recruiting class identical to the year before...which was crappy.

Still better than ours, but you got my point about SMU's approach: 

51 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

We say something is going to happen, then we pretend it's happening. 

On March 1, 2016 at 9:58 PM, UNT90 said:

It's unreasonable because it isn't based in reason. Pretty simple. "Rah rah UNT. We will win 6 games" isn't reason, it's cheerleading. 

I agree that we won't know anything until Spring about certain things (QB), but the problems on the other side of the ball is what I look at. 3 wins is about right. UNT could win 4 with a LOT of breaks, but could also win only 1. 

I can attest to this,...but as a cheerleader at least NM Green has a clue and actually knows the difference between when we have the ball..(offense) and when we don't..(defense),.. and actually knows when we should make noise (defense) and when to STFU at the games (offense).  

And amazingly, no one has to dribble the extra mile to raise money in hopes that he gets it right.  He gets it right on his own.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

59 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

I respectfully disagree.  I think the quality of their classes under Morris has risen considerably.  Heck some of his recruits last year torched us, I can't recall his name but the thin quick RB comes to mind.   They have successfully shifted their recruiting base from Jones' unsuccessful national reach to focusing on local kids from local high schools.  They are getting good players who have in the past gone out of state.  The more success they have the better they will recruit certainly, but the pipeline is back in place.  Remember, they will have that same speedy QB (A&M transfer) back again this season and an infusion of Morris recruits.  I see SMU as a rising stock under Morris.  They have a plan and it makes sense.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I respectfully disagree.  I think the quality of their classes under Morris has risen considerably.  Heck some of his recruits last year torched us, I can't recall his name but the thin quick RB comes to mind.   They have successfully shifted their recruiting base from Jones' unsuccessful national reach to focusing on local kids from local high schools.  They are getting good players who have in the past gone out of state.  The more success they have the better they will recruit certainly, but the pipeline is back in place.  Remember, they will have that same speedy QB (A&M transfer) back again this season and an infusion of Morris recruits.  I see SMU as a rising stock under Morris.  They have a plan and it makes sense.

And I fear some in here are going to be shocked at that first game in September.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

37 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And I fear some in here are going to be shocked at that first game in September.

Maybe so, but history says that they will suck. Last year, they sucked. We just sucked more. I think that is a game we should remain competitive in forever. 

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

Morris' classes are in fact statistically the same as Jones'. Actually, Jones signed some classes that were better than the two that Morris has been able to put together up to this point.  

• Upvote 1

Most of Jones' classes were better than was SMU Jesus has brought in.  The thing SMU Jesus supposedly has is "he was a Texas high school coach...he's got Texas ties!"

Yeah, well, who cares?  There has been one Division I, outright national title in football won by a Texas school since 1969.  One.  So, for all the hoop and hollar about how great Texas talent is...and, we don't even sniff the best of it - same as SMU.

It's like my Paw Paw used to saw:  "For the canoe to get somewhere you have to get it and start rowing it.  You're never going to haul the same amount of oil in it as an oil tanker either; so, stop dreaming about it.  Get good at canoeing because that's what you have - a canoe.  Do what you can do in a canoe by mastering what a canoe can do.  Then, you will have accomplished something in the way of canoeing." 

Seth and SMU Jesus have a lot of rowing to do.  A lot.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Hell too much success too soon may even be a slightly negative thing here.  Because the coach might not stay around long enough to solidify the processes and mindset that lead to winning.

Huh? I personally can't agree with that statement.

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Aren't we cheering as fans?

Look I get that the reality is that Seth goes 3-9 in his first season, some of us give this team higher expectations now that we have up'd our coaching staff talent and we have introduced a couple QB's that Mac company had no way of bringing to the table. The reality of the situation is there, but I endorse those that see the team achieving 6 wins. Negativity and reality can sometimes be two different things. Yes we got the ol' AD around still, but we hit the refresh button with this staff.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Huh? I personally can't agree with that statement.

Aren't we cheering as fans?

Look I get that the reality is that Seth goes 3-9 in his first season, some of us give this team higher expectations now that we have up'd our coaching staff talent and we have introduced a couple QB's that Mac company had no way of bringing to the table. The reality of the situation is there, but I endorse those that see the team achieving 6 wins. Negativity and reality can sometimes be two different things. Yes we got the ol' AD around still, but we hit the refresh button with this staff.

I wanted to say something about we think we've upped our coaching talent but that's an unknown.

Then I though about Cosh and it seems almost impossible we couldn't have upgraded...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

How bout Courtland Sutton number 16 WR, and walked onto bball team and helped them out this year due to lack of depth. Beast! 

22 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I wanted to say something about we think we've upped our coaching talent but that's an unknown.

Then I though about Cosh and it seems almost impossible we couldn't have upgraded...

I know not everyone believes me, but after going to that coaches clinic I have no doubt this team will be coached substantially better than the previous staff.  We can chat anytime you'd like just send a PM, but they really impressed me during that clinic. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Maximizing everything a team has is the coaches job and he gets paid handsomely to do so. So, if 6 wins is in the cupboard for the 2016 team then we need to see them. If not, then so be it. 

We all know that maximizing everything rarely happens because the other teams are trying maximize everything they have too.  Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way.  So I don't want to see Seth and the staff dogged on GMG cause they end up with 4 wins instead of 6.   I get freaking tired of people making excuses for RV preaching patience but don't give that same leeway to coaches here.  RV has had 15 years of subpar work and a few on GMG.com are preaching patience.   I tap the breaks on the idea that instance success and bowl eligibility is really unlikely and I get more dislikes than like.  WTH? 

• Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

We all know that maximizing everything rarely happens because the other teams are trying maximize everything they have too.  Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way.  So I don't want to see Seth and the staff dogged on GMG cause they end up with 4 wins instead of 6.   I get freaking tired of people making excuses for RV preaching patience but don't give that same leeway to coaches here.  RV has had 15 years of subpar work and a few on GMG.com are preaching patience.   I tap the breaks on the idea that instance success and bowl eligibility is really unlikely and I get more dislikes than like.  WTH? 

I get it. And I will have patience with the new coaching staff, but I will not and can not lay down at the notion of being OK with 3 or 4 wins. 

My patience with RV is what he needs to be, gone. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I am and feel most are going to give Littrell a few years to build a team.  However, I refuse to call 3 or 4 wins next year a success.  

Success is winning. Progress is the term you want to see, which 3 wins would solidly show to most of us. He's a brand new coach, installing an offense that is 180 degrees different from the previous staff's offensive gameplan. He has a defensive front seven that is woefully small and slow, compared to most of our peers. And he takes over a team that MIRACULOUSLY won one game last year because the other team was playing here and using their 5th string QB, which allowed us to score a late 4th qtr TD and win the game.

Butt-Cookman is our only game we will be favored to win in 2016. If we pull off another upset or two, it will be significant progress from where we were last year. Littrell's biggest wins this year need to be in our locker room and in the classrooms, living rooms, and coaches' offices at various high schools and jucos. That's what its gonna take to get this thing back up and running. Its very possible that we win 1 game next year, but if we get recruiting wins, it will point to us getting back on the right track. But if we aren't able to make those in-roads, then the next few years are going to be more of the same, sadly.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UTSA Fan said:

What about rebuild? If you have basically the same players what is reasonable to expect of them?

Most players get better with experience.  Expectations are that the team will be a little more talented but will be a lot more focused and will not quit.  

17 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Success is winning. Progress is the term you want to see, which 3 wins would solidly show to most of us. He's a brand new coach, installing an offense that is 180 degrees different from the previous staff's offensive gameplan. He has a defensive front seven that is woefully small and slow, compared to most of our peers. And he takes over a team that MIRACULOUSLY won one game last year because the other team was playing here and using their 5th string QB, which allowed us to score a late 4th qtr TD and win the game.

Butt-Cookman is our only game we will be favored to win in 2016. If we pull off another upset or two, it will be significant progress from where we were last year. Littrell's biggest wins this year need to be in our locker room and in the classrooms, living rooms, and coaches' offices at various high schools and jucos. That's what its gonna take to get this thing back up and running. Its very possible that we win 1 game next year, but if we get recruiting wins, it will point to us getting back on the right track. But if we aren't able to make those in-roads, then the next few years are going to be more of the same, sadly.

No one is going to deny that NT was horrible last year and thus will be predicted to be the same this year.  By the way, the front four is neither small or slow compared to NT' peers.  The same players the coaches raved about when recruited turned into slow and small years later when the loses continued.  Apparently losing Wallace doesn't help, but if English is eligible; NT has a "bigger" and probably better replacement.   

There is a difference in my opinion, between significant progress and success.  NT can have significant progress for Littrell's whole contract and not get into a bowl game.  NT was  about as bad as a team could get last year.  NT has to have substantial progress to achieve success.  

Most prognosticators will predict 2 to 4 wins for NT.  So does matching those marks mean success?    

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Most players get better with experience.  Expectations are that the team will be a little more talented but will be a lot more focused and will not quit.  

No one is going to deny that NT was horrible last year and thus will be predicted to be the same this year.  By the way, the front four is neither small or slow compared to NT' peers.  The same players the coaches raved about when recruited turned into slow and small years later when the loses continued.  Apparently losing Wallace doesn't help, but if English is eligible; NT has a "bigger" and probably better replacement.   

There is a difference in my opinion, between significant progress and success.  NT can have significant progress for Littrell's whole contract and not get into a bowl game.  NT was  about as bad as a team could get last year.  NT has to have substantial progress to achieve success.  

Most prognosticators will predict 2 to 4 wins for NT.  So does matching those marks mean success?    

Not at all--but it does reflect progress. Right now, those are the baby steps we need to get back to the point of just walking again. Success will be to see our program running, not walking, but for now, its basically been in a hospital bed for the last year and a half.

Things I'll be keeping an eye on (in terms of improvement) other than W-L next year:

• Points per game
  • Points allowed per game
  • Yards per game
  • Yards allowed per game
  • Number of 100 yard games and TDs Wilson has (if you're not fangirling over him, please correct that as he's a big cog to our success next year)