DRC: Villarreal calls club seat prices very reasonable as renewals begin

Brett Vito

21 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I don't care if concerts are ever held at Apogee.  I did not make a stadium donation due to any talk of concerts one way or the other. And, as I recall, there was no time table given  as to "when" no any indication of "who" when the discussion of concerts came up in conversations regarding the possibilities for Apogee.  So, in my book, Reckless Kelly counts.  But, like some others here, I did not recognize any of their songs...but I did enjoy the concert and, yes, it was held at Apogee.  One cannot call someone a liar based on their own personal interpretation of who and when...when, of course, neither were discussed. I recall some of the very same folks here complaining and calling RV a liar about HS games being held at Apogee.  Well, HS playoff games and regular season games have been held at Apogee.  Perhaps they did not meat someone's personal timetable as to" when", nor perhaps did they meet someone's personal definition of "who", but HS games and playoff games HAVE definitely been help at Apogee.  So, too, might I add, has the Kiwanis 4th of July fireworks show...and that's pretty cool.  OI don't think Apogee is going to be replaced any time soon, so one never knows what make take place at Apogee. And, NO UNT90, I am not making excuses for RV...I am stating what I see as the facts of the matter IN MY OPINION.  When you can show me that RV said Bruce Springsteen would play at Apogee on a certain date, then and only thern might I see that you have a point to be concerned about. 

I might also add that I had discussions with the Eli Young Band about playing Apogee as a UNT Alumni Association sponsored concert.  They would love to play Apogee, but they said that when they are home they prefer to be AT HOME and not playing concerts.  They prefer a bit of downtime with their families, BUT, they would be open to a date at Apogee IF schedules could be worked out.  That was what the band told me when I spoke to them at Cowboy Stadium when they were opening for Kenny Chesney. So, there is this possibility I assume that would count as a "who" for most folks?

This is in fact excuse making, KRAM. You are an excuse maker for the AD. If I were to make a comment of this nature then it would be taken as such. But when someone that openly and consistently makes excuses,makes excuses then it is excuses. It is what it is. I don't care about any of this. I care of W's. RV hasn't provided those and there is no excuse in the World to hide that huge black eye. We suck and EVERYONE knows it. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Jyst bexause you weren't affected and don't care doesn't mean you speak for everyone.

Exactly...that's why I indicated it was my opinion.  But, talk about the pot calling the kettle black!  WOW. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

20 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is in fact excuse making, KRAM. You are an excuse maker for the AD. If I were to make a comment of this nature then it would be taken as such. But when someone that openly and consistently makes excuses,makes excuses then it is excuses. It is what it is. I don't care about any of this. I care of W's. RV hasn't provided those and there is no excuse in the World to hide that huge black eye. We suck and EVERYONE knows it. 

So, Ben, your opinion is that I am making excuses for RV even when I state it is my opinion...so, now I guess I can state my opinion of what you and several others are doing, right?  Fair game, huh?  So, my opinion is that you guys are just making excuses for why you refuse to support your university.  I read excuse after excuse for folks who do not want to support their university on here daily...my opinion is that it is just cover for their unwillingness to help.  So, there you go...both are nothing but opinions.  Just try to let someone have a different opinion on things and they are "making excuses" since they don't agree with all you guys who find something to criticize in everything that goes on at UNT.  Yet, you guys claim to support the university.  Sure...excuses plain and simple.  So, you keep making excuses why you won't support the university and I'll keep making excuses as to why I will support the university, deal?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm curious, for those of you that wanted concerts, what kind of bands you thought Apogee would/could get?

In all honesty, I'm not much one for large stadium level shows.  You're much, much more likely to find me at Three Links, Wit's End, Curtain Club, or Trees for the national acts (with the occasional appearance at Andy's and Dan's in Denton).  

My previous post was merely that if we're going to say there are concerts at Apogee, that said concerts need to be events in and of themselves, and be of a level to attract a crowd that fills the stadium.

1 minute ago, oldguystudent said:

In all honesty, I'm not much one for large stadium level shows.  You're much, much more likely to find me at Three Links, Wit's End, Curtain Club, or Trees for the national acts (with the occasional appearance at Andy's and Dan's in Denton).  

My previous post was merely that if we're going to say there are concerts at Apogee, that said concerts need to be events in and of themselves, and be of a level to attract a crowd that fills the stadium.

Agree and right there with you.  This was just a matter of personal preference, and I posted an honest question.

I tend to be a bar hopper.  I've only been to a few large-scale events in my lifetime; I think fewer than 5.

27 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

So, Ben, your opinion is that I am making excuses for RV even when I state it is my opinion...so, now I guess I can state my opinion of what you and several others are doing, right?  Fair game, huh?  So, my opinion is that you guys are just making excuses for why you refuse to support your university.  I read excuse after excuse for folks who do not want to support their university on here daily...my opinion is that it is just cover for their unwillingness to help.  So, there you go...both are nothing but opinions.  Just try to let someone have a different opinion on things and they are "making excuses" since they don't agree with all you guys who find something to criticize in everything that goes on at UNT.  Yet, you guys claim to support the university.  Sure...excuses plain and simple.  So, you keep making excuses why you won't support the university and I'll keep making excuses as to why I will support the university, deal?

I do support the University and I plan on upping my minute level in the near future. I also plan on getting season tickets. I also donate to miscellaneous events such as the one tomorrow as I did last year without even being able to participate in the game. I will support and I will up my support as I see fit. The only reason I am going up is because I started so low. No other reason. I am not making excuses for my lack of donating. I am trying to donate more. I also have the funds necessary to become a club seat holder with my wife.  My wife refuses to agree to it because she doesn't see the ROI and I can't blame her for there currently is none. However, I will not sit here a wing back chair and stroke a cat while calling it a lion. I will call things what they are and right now we are incompetent within the AD and it just permeates down to the on the field performance. EVERYTHING starts at the top. 

KRAM, I fully appreciate all that you do for the department and UNT as a whole, but RV's message when selling Apogee and what has been delivered are entirely two different things.  I probably would not attend a big concert due to where I live, but we were told Apogee would host concerts.  Not an add-on to the spring game and not a one time concert, but concerts.  The message was these would be stand alone events or post game events.  One, post spring game concert by a band a some know of was not the promise.  Name acts were what was alluded to during the promotional talk. 

We were told scheduling would be better.  I like the SMU and Army series, but outside of Houston and Indiana, nothing else has been delivered. 

The annual Kiwanis fireworks show is a stretch since it was already hosted at Fouts and would be held at UNT's stadium because that is where it has been held forever.

High school games are becoming more common, but originally, the message was that Apogee was priced out of the market by our AD.  That falls on the AD.

I love Apogee, but it is a stretch to say that RV has delivered on his promises.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, GangGreen said:

Skynyrd?

Or, Joan Jett.  Those are easily booked these days.

I don't really care about concerts, even though I went to AC/DC Tuesday night at the AAC.  To me, concert's just a possibility to have the turf torn up. 

You guys are just looking for stuff to be pissed off about.  Shut up and be happy that you have good health. 

These football games and concerts are just hobbies. Quit acting like spastic douchequeefs about everything.

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I think it would have probably been better to not raise any Club seating requirements/prices or anywhere else in the stadium at this time.  However, the obvious counter is that there is a new coach and hopefully a lot of increased enthusiasm among the fan base and therefore support for raising prices at this time.  

Personally, I don't like the club that much and have only used those seats to stay out of the rain.  There is obviously a status thing involved, but the sale of beer throughout the stadium has taken away one benefit.  

As far as better scheduling, I never understood how anyone really believed that  Apogee would significantly change that.  There are a lot more pertinent factors in scheduling than having a nice stadium.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Concerts?  Really?  Concerts?

SMH

Promises? Really? Promises?

SMH

16 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I think it would have probably been better to not raise any Club seating requirements/prices or anywhere else in the stadium at this time.  However, the obvious counter is that there is a new coach and hopefully a lot of increased enthusiasm among the fan base and therefore support for raising prices at this time.  

Personally, I don't like the club that much and have only used those seats to stay out of the rain.  There is obviously a status thing involved, but the sale of beer throughout the stadium has taken away one benefit.  

As far as better scheduling, I never understood how anyone really believed that  Apogee would significantly change that.  There are a lot more pertinent factors in scheduling than having a nice stadium.   

Apogee did change that. UNT's AD didn't.

TTech vs Texas St.

And any other of countless examples.

1 hour ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Or, Joan Jett.  Those are easily booked these days.

I don't really care about concerts, even though I went to AC/DC Tuesday night at the AAC.  To me, concert's just a possibility to have the turf torn up. 

You guys are just looking for stuff to be pissed off about.  Shut up and be happy that you have good health. 

These football games and concerts are just hobbies. Quit acting like spastic douchequeefs about everything.

It's not the concerts, it's the lying, on a patholigical scale.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

KRAM, I fully appreciate all that you do for the department and UNT as a whole, but RV's message when selling Apogee and what has been delivered are entirely two different things.  I probably would not attend a big concert due to where I live, but we were told Apogee would host concerts.  Not an add-on to the spring game and not a one time concert, but concerts.  The message was these would be stand alone events or post game events.  One, post spring game concert by a band a some know of was not the promise.  Name acts were what was alluded to during the promotional talk. 

We were told scheduling would be better.  I like the SMU and Army series, but outside of Houston and Indiana, nothing else has been delivered. 

The annual Kiwanis fireworks show is a stretch since it was already hosted at Fouts and would be held at UNT's stadium because that is where it has been held forever.

High school games are becoming more common, but originally, the message was that Apogee was priced out of the market by our AD.  That falls on the AD.

I love Apogee, but it is a stretch to say that RV has delivered on his promises.

I just added my opinion and stated it as such.  I do not recall any promise as to who or when regarding concerts....and as I stated some effort has been made to bring a concert or two to Apogee, but, again, in my opinion, that should never be a priority.  I suspose folks can see it as they wish.  I am more than confortable with how I see it.  And, if Apogee was priced out of the market for HS games, why are we seeing HS games played at Apogee?  If it falls on the AD, do you give him credit for the HS games being played there?  And, I was speaking for me, not the AD.  I judge Apogee and how it is utilized a big success...you can judge it as you please.  It has proven to be a great venue for all kinds of events from community meetings to weddings to freshmen orientation.  I'm good with it.  I made my donation based on its use as  UNT's football home.  Nothing more.  Anything more than that is just icing on the cake for me.  I will leave it to others to piss and moan about concerts.  Last I looked the university was not a concert promoter.  And, just like folks are discounting the concert held after our spring game, they would find some reason to discount whatever concert was held there.    There will always be those folks who waller in their negativity and want nothing more than for everyone else to join them.  Leave me out of that pity party.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, KRAM1 said:

I just added my opinion and stated it as such.  I do not recall any promise as to who or when regarding concerts....and as I stated some effort has been made to bring a concert or two to Apogee, but, again, in my opinion, that should never be a priority.  I suspose folks can see it as they wish.  I am more than confortable with how I see it.  And, if Apogee was priced out of the market for HS games, why are we seeing HS games played at Apogee?  If it falls on the AD, do you give him credit for the HS games being played there?  And, I was speaking for me, not the AD.  I judge Apogee and how it is utilized a big success...you can judge it as you please.  It has proven to be a great venue for all kinds of events from community meetings to weddings to freshmen orientation.  I'm good with it.  I made my donation based on its use as  UNT's football home.  Nothing more.  Anything more than that is just icing on the cake for me.  I will leave it to others to piss and moan about concerts.  Last I looked the university was not a concert promoter.  And, just like folks are discounting the concert held after our spring game, they would find some reason to discount whatever concert was held there.    There will always be those folks who waller in their negativity and want nothing more than for everyone else to join them.  Leave me out of that pity party.

Lies are lies. Parse them any way you want to. There were a lot of misstatements, lies, or whatever term yo want to use to make it seem more ok. You sound like a politician. 

Better OOC opponents were promised. Once the 2012 schedule was announced and I took a serious look at future schedules, it was crystal clear that that was a premeditated lie to sell seats.

You lie about one thing....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't think they have to say, "Apogee will allow us to bring Van Halen, ACDC, Pat Boone, Ely Young Band, etc...." for the comment to be relevant.  He said concerts.

They came down on the price after initially pricing the stadium out of the market.

19 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Lies are lies. Parse them any way you want to. There were a lot of misstatements, lies, or whatever term yo want to use to make it seem more ok. You sound like a politician. 

Better OOC opponents were promised. Once the 2012 schedule was announced and I took a serious look at future schedules, it was crystal clear that that was a premeditated lie to sell seats.

You lie about one thing....

I'm shocked at how much you no longer care.  Shocked I tell you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wow...  as a fan of another school who only follows UNT a little, I know some but not all of the RV stuff.  I just read his bio on the UNT sports website.  Based on that, I don't know why you complain. 

"Rick Villarreal has established his place as one of the most progressive and successful athletics administrators in the nation."

"He is also responsible for creating the organizational foundation for a department that has seen unprecedented academic and competitive success during his tenure."

"an administrator who can raise money, build facilities, direct championship teams with quality coaches "

"Villarreal led the Mean Green to a premiere position in the Sun Belt Conference"

"The ultimate recognition of Villarreal's success was realized when Conference USA announced that North Texas would be joining the flourishing league beginning in the fall of 2013. The undeniable achievement that Villarreal led North Texas to in the Sun Belt Conference was a critical factor in making the department and the university as a whole attractive to other leagues. "

That's quite an enhanced bio.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

Wow...  as a fan of another school who only follows UNT a little, I know some but not all of the RV stuff.  I just read his bio on the UNT sports website.  Based on that, I don't know why you complain.  ?

"Rick Villarreal has established his place as one of the most progressive and successful athletics administrators in the nation."

"He is also responsible for creating the organizational foundation for a department that has seen unprecedented academic and competitive success during his tenure."

"an administrator who can raise money, build facilities, direct championship teams with quality coaches "

"Villarreal led the Mean Green to a premiere position in the Sun Belt Conference"

"The ultimate recognition of Villarreal's success was realized when Conference USA announced that North Texas would be joining the flourishing league beginning in the fall of 2013. The undeniable achievement that Villarreal led North Texas to in the Sun Belt Conference was a critical factor in making the department and the university as a whole attractive to other leagues. "

Yeah...This athletic department would make an actual successful athletic director be the curer of cancer and the founder of oxygen in space. But with an unsuccessful one they have made him sound just wildly successful. Now, Fly, that bio is all a joke. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NTXCoog said:
2 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

Wow...  as a fan of another school who only follows UNT a little, I know some but not all of the RV stuff.  I just read his bio on the UNT sports website.  Based on that, I don't know why you complain.  ?

200.gif

• Upvote 2

Wins.  We need wins.  We don't need concerts, we don't need Alabama playing in Apogee.  We need wins.  

Clinton won the presidency in 1992 on one simple line.  "It's the economy, stupid."

Well, I'm running on a single platform for 2016 and beyond -- "It's the win/loss column, stupid!"

Everything else is us (yours truly included) channeling years of loss fatigue on to everything we can find.

And to clarify, I was neither sold concerts as part of purchasing club tickets nor do I see ever attending a concert at Apogee.  I don't think it's the AD's responsibility to book concerts there.  I do think the university at large is missing out on a huge opportunity with the venue though.

• Upvote 2